PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry problems

ayesel
01-31-2006, 02:16 AM
Hey everyone, first post on these forums and I need help with a bit of a problem.

I've created a model in Maya that is completely symmetrical aside from the fact that the hands are different. After importing it into Zbrush it became immediately apparent that there were issues with the symmetry being off. I didn't expect this to occur so just to make sure it was the hands causing the problem I went back into Maya, deleted half the model and mirrored it so it was now perfectly symmetrical. I took that model into Zbrush and the symmetry problems were solved.

So essentially, my issue is that I want to be able to keep the hands asymmetrical as I originally had them without throwing off the symmetry of the rest of the model.

Here's a picture of the situation to help illustrate the problem:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/ayesel/helpme.jpg

Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be part of the community.

eblondin
01-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Few things to check:

Where is your pivot of your model in maya? is it at the center? if not zero it out.

In zbrush make sure your pivot of your model is also in the center. You can make sure that your pivot of your model is centered in zbrush by hitting "shift + p"

ayesel
01-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I managed to fix the problem with your help.

It seems like it was infact the pivot point being exported from Maya that was causing the trouble. Upon inspection it was actually offset from the center of the model a bit. I tried manually recentering it and then exporting it but for whatever reason I couldn't get the new pivot point to stay through the export into Zbrush.

Fortunately the workaround I found was a handy little tool in Zbrush called Set Pivot Point, which sets the pivot point relative to only the visible portion of the mesh. So all I needed to do was make visible only the torso of the creature, use the Set Pivot Point tool and then bam, sweet symmetrical goodness.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 07:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.