PDA

View Full Version : i call him jingo <WIP>

policarpo
03-02-2002, 12:10 AM
I know it seems like my mantra that i'm going for that "real" feeling when i'm recreating my digital works of art...so i won't go into any great detail about the following images.

let's just say that i've created this little guy to hopefully help me in realizing a short illustrated story that's been burning in the back of my mind for several months.

this first image was done this morning before I came into the office.

http://www.policarpo.org/journal/images/march_01.jpg

and this second image below was done as a way of showing a co-worker here at the office how i ended up with the final look and feel. i know they are similar in appearance, but i feel each one stands on it's own as a solid piece.

http://www.policarpo.org/journal/images/mar_01b.jpg

anyway...comment if ya like or not...i must get back to building Jingo's world so i can bring him to life.

:-)

-p o l i c a r p o

violenza
03-02-2002, 01:15 AM
wicked little character. reminds me of the little guys from Princess mononoke - only british :D :D

I also really appreciatte the texture and the ambiance of the render - nice to see when surrounded by shiny metal and plastic textures.....

now...... MAKE HIM DANCE!!!!! :D

policarpo
03-02-2002, 03:01 AM
thanks.

it's funny that you mention princess mononoke...because the character was really influence by anime style and lane smith (http://images.google.com/images?q=lane+smith+illustrator&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wi) .

i'm not sure if i'm going to make him dance as much as i will try to illustrate him in a still frame story.

http://www.policarpo.org/journal/images/mar_01c.jpg

maybe he'll destory something shiny and metallic.

:p

-policarpo

johnny_riptide
03-02-2002, 06:16 AM
This is cool, policarpo. I would have to say that I favor the one you did before you went into the office. This soft, peaceful, almost watercolor feel of the image is a refreshing contrast to much of the CG that I have seen here recently.

Are you planning on animating him? If so, I am wondering what post processing you are doing to your rendered images? The stills look great, I'm just am concerned as to how well you will be able to maintain that look frame after frame once you animate it.

Anxious to see where this is going.

violenza
03-02-2002, 06:50 AM
I can definitely see the influences, but with a twist. if you do a still frame story, i would like to see the end product. very cool man!

...destroying something shiny and metallic - with giant lens-flares!!!! :p

machuc
03-02-2002, 09:12 AM
I like the look policarpo! :)

what compositing prog are u using? or is it just a still u worked on photoshop?

looking forward to see ur story come to life!

ciao.

policarpo
03-02-2002, 11:39 PM
thanks for compliments everyone.

I'm just using Photoshop to do the compositing. I usually work with 10-20 layers to get to the final look i am looking for. I guess I can't get trid of the painter in me. :D

I don't have any immediate plans to do an animations with the character. I'm primarily interested in using 3D as a substitute for the generation of my painting and drawing these days. (however i ran a quick camera animation test while trying to simulate the same technique and it worked out okay...considering my limited knowledge of after effects).

I'm more comfortable as an illustrator than as an animator right now. so i'm sticking to what i know very well. still imagery. :p

i'm sketching out some environments for Jingo so I should either be posting those images here or at my site as they materialize.

i'll keep ya posted.

cheers,
- p o l i c a r p o

koroko
03-03-2002, 07:29 AM
i just love it, :)

If i have to criticeze something iŽll say that in my opinion 15% of the attention/work put to the post, could be used in the preliminary design....dont get my wrong, i dig it, but if i have to say something it must be constructive, so... i believe the puppet could be improved in the design stage, even maintaining that soft, simple and beautifull shapes, like in the hair...

Anyway, i love ur work polycarpo, ur name in a thread its for me like a must see...

keep as updated...

Cheers!

Taoizm
03-03-2002, 11:19 AM
policarpo.... good to see a new piece from ya'. I dig your style and try and hit your site at least once a week. (btw, thanks for the radio link) No crits, it's a great piece. :)

Fetus23
03-04-2002, 01:43 AM
WHOA!! I really dig this little guy...very soft and approachable :)

popnGEAR
03-04-2002, 01:54 AM
That is cute. What did you render with? or was that look achieved in post. Looks kinda raydiffusey.

AJ
03-04-2002, 03:16 AM
Isntantly reminded me of the Kodama from Mononoke Hime as well! Got their cute oddness...

I've been planning on making a 3D Totoro (more of Miyazaki's work) soon.

Very sweet!!

policarpo
03-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Thanks fellas.

And especially thanks Koroko for kicking me in the butt to improve on the design of the little guy. If you look at my site you can see where he was on Feb 26th as far as design goes. I've since been tweaking him here and there to really "plush" him out and make it a bit more solid on the design part of things.

Anyway...i'm hooked on this character right now so I think i'll be spending a lot of time with him over the next several weeks.

Well...i've said enough.

some cool links of inspiration.

http://www.pictoplasma.com
and
www.slackart.com

cheers!

:D
-policarpo

policarpo
03-05-2002, 02:51 AM
more work on Jingo....this one was a bit rushed and not as absurd as i wanted to make it...

http://www.policarpo.org/journal/images/mar_04.jpg

cheers,
- p o l i c a r p o

DaJoker
03-05-2002, 09:17 AM
haha policarpo, friendly character, you could almost start a book for children ;)

policarpo
03-05-2002, 08:03 PM
i tweaked the image some last night....boosting colors and adding more grain and texture randomness to it.

i'm currently modeling some other elements for "jingo" and trying to come up with very absurd situations to place him in.

anyone have any ideas?

:p

- p o l i c a r p o

violenza
03-05-2002, 08:56 PM
help Jingo find his home. Where does a little guy like Jingo live - who are his nieghbors. Does he have a job?

Maybe he lost his pet giraffe....or his pet asteroid.

What is his favorite flavour of PEZ....(he looks like a grape guy to me:D )

food for thought. munch away!!!!

policarpo
03-06-2002, 12:30 AM
HAHAHA!

now that's great....losing something as big as a giraffe always makes for a few pages of fun and absurdity!

does the giraffe wear bright red socks up to his giraffe knees?

violenza
03-06-2002, 01:46 AM
bright red socks with white striped hoofs.(hooves?) :D
maybe he dresses up as a banker to hide from Jingo - fake moustache and all

hehehe....

policarpo
03-06-2002, 03:13 AM
well...i haven't gotten around to modeling the giraffe in the bright red knee highs...but i did manage to have another go at Jingo beneath the tree.

i embellished quite a bit on this one...

anyway...this is just me having a blast.

:D :rolleyes:

http://www.policarpo.org/journal/images/mar_05.jpg

-policarpo

violenza
03-06-2002, 10:15 AM
much better composition.... I like the transfer from light on the bottom to dark on top, nice.

policarpo
03-06-2002, 06:24 PM
thanks a plenty. i like it more than the previous tree scene.

this is what I love about 3D...you build it once and you get to render it from a near infinite amount of angles.

if i were painting this...each painting would be unique and new...

hahaha....with 3D, I get the best of both worlds!

instant gratification because all the objects in the scene are done, and a blank canvas to thrust my technique on (i get to focus on the painting of the scene).

violenza: how close are you to being done with your site...cause if your avatar frog is any indication of what we can expect, i can't wait!!!!

-policarpo

violenza
03-06-2002, 08:14 PM
policarpo: oh, she is a long and trecherous road, this information super- highway. :p I have put it on hold for a while, unfortunately, due to an overload of work for the moment. But as soon as I get a free moment, I will get back on the attack.

I saw your site, by the way, I really like the journal approach. And the design is great as well....

policarpo
03-07-2002, 05:22 AM
Hahahaha....

yes. i know what you mean. it took darn near 1 year to get my site up and running. i just couldn't seem to find the time to do it.

thank god for coffee and guiness though!

where did you get the jasper johns quote? or was it from some somnobulistic vision you had one night! i didn't read it all because my head started to expand to the point where i was offending my giacomettic stature at the time.... :rolleyes:

GET YOUR SITE DONE! I NEED TO SEE MORE OF YOUR WORK!!!
<smiling and sipping heartily from a cup of ancient green tea as the butterflies hover too close to the mouth agape tender frog>

- p o l i c a r p o

violenza
03-07-2002, 10:36 AM
coffee and guiness... or as I like to call them: personality and vitamins!:D

You must have gone to the Plastic Thought Studios website - that site also is on hold due to time constraints - the Jasper Johns poem was by one of my partners, Joey, a 3D madman.... we think the poetry makes the fact that you just came to a dead end a little more bearable....Jackson Pollack and Louis Pasteur also get some play... :p

My website is on hold for the same reasons. Damn commerce! What happened to art for arts sake!

Oh yeah, that doesn't buy coffee, nor guiness :mad:
Here is a link of some WIP stuff I have on the bench:

http://members.shaw.ca/automatic/WIP/

pabbloz
03-07-2002, 12:42 PM
Really cool.
cool concept and excelent composition.
Congratulations policarpo.

Daxx
03-07-2002, 08:05 PM
Really Cool and good Ideas!

policarpo
03-07-2002, 08:12 PM
you've some nice stuff there violenza...i especially like the asshoundglbl.jpg image....i imagine he'd hop up on your legs and completely slobber on you due to his stupid excitement.

hurry up and get all your work up so we can all enjoy your unbridled enthusiasm for the slightly absurd.

-policarpo

violenza
03-07-2002, 09:20 PM
...that sounds like asshound alright! thanks for the kudos....I will get at the site ASAP :D

let me know how that giraffe plotline is coming along - can't wait to see some more Jingo!!

peace,
trev

dtek8
03-07-2002, 11:35 PM
cool,, i love it cant wait to see more,,

d:cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.