PDA

View Full Version : Character: Medical Quality 3D anatomy

CDS
12-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Well, its been a long time coming but the layouts are all being edited/corrected and it goes to print this monday.

The software will follow in the new year.

...here is a final shot of it all...minus the bone texture's and the touch ups to the eye, lips, and ear.
(again the clients just want to be careful about how much of the 100% final is issued to the web, so far none of the finals have been released)

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/fullbody.jpg

...an example of the bone texture/mat.

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/spine.jpg

...and a 3mb Divx animation of the upper torso stripping layers.

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/muscledemo2.avi

CDS
12-08-2002, 10:43 PM
LOL....Im glad ya like the raw flesh.

Just think...there are over 2 gigs of texture maps on that model....the entire poly count is just a tad over 1.5 million.

Joril
12-08-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by CDS
Just think...there are over 2 gigs of texture maps on that model....the entire poly count is just a tad over 1.5 million.

:eek: :eek:
(almost) Sounds like overkill
Can we see a wireframe perhaps? :D
Well done though!! :thumbsup:

CDS
12-09-2002, 02:43 AM
Thanks Joril....It may seem like overkill but due to the need for extreme detail/accuracy large mats were needed....for example you can zoom into one vertebra and make it the size of your screen(1024x768) and you wont lose any detail.

..the only wire frame I have is this one....

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/wire.jpg

wgreenlee1
12-09-2002, 03:20 AM
I'd say 1.5 million polys well spent!

WOW!

CDS
12-09-2002, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the comments guys....its nice to get recognition from fellow CG artists.

Yah I figured 1.5 million was not to shabby, especially when there are over 4000 independently modeled objects.

ROFLMAO....HellRender, I hope you do your own lawndry.

...again thanks guys!

ReinS
12-09-2002, 05:36 AM
Oh my God!!

You must be totally insane :D :buttrock:

This piece is just to awesome, 1.5 million.. sheez.. :D

scores 5 out of 5
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

facial
12-09-2002, 06:48 AM
WooooooooW, :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:
I almost can't breathe. Well done !!!

flamedevil
12-09-2002, 07:07 AM
Excellent work !
The spinal column is AWESOME.

What software do you use ?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

florizal
12-09-2002, 07:20 AM
very frekin nice!!!!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
agghmmmm
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1.5er :D

Dominique
12-09-2002, 07:27 AM
Nice job
Dom

CDS
12-09-2002, 07:49 AM
Again, thank you everyone...receiving compliments from one's peers is very much appreciated.

here is a little breakdown on the project:

Created with:Started with 3D Studio Max 3, then finished with 4.2
Mapped and Textured with: Deep 3D paint
Render: Mental Ray(it had no problem with the 2gig texture load)
Revisions: 4 complete as per recommendations from Stanford.
Time spent: 3yrs appox 5000hours

Use: Textbooks, live footage compositing and software- the entire model is fully rigged for Human biomechanical ROM.

Savage_Henry
12-09-2002, 08:21 AM
looks really well done.
must feel good to get that out of your life though..3 years is a long time to spend on one thing.

ersinkoc
12-09-2002, 10:41 AM
salva mea!!! this is amazing, unbelievable!! i want to zoom in to it.

stephen2002
12-09-2002, 12:19 PM
great stuff, that is an insane amount of detail, but it should be good for many uses.

icedeyes
12-09-2002, 12:23 PM
WOW.... Really love it... Kind of creepy but really cool... Well worth the polycount....

(Courtney.H)
12-09-2002, 02:07 PM
You would make good money selling the muscle tissue on the black market.... :eek: Well worth the Time

pjr103
12-09-2002, 02:28 PM
It looks great but...you`re proportion is off in a couple of places..or so it seems. The torso looks quite large when compared to the head and the lower leg seems like it`s a bit small..aside from that it looks good...

Nangleator
12-09-2002, 02:30 PM
The spine picture is unbelievable. :drool:

Did you model this whole thing? Or is the data from that science project where they sliced up the frozen convicts?

junkie
12-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Hey it's great CDS!!
especially when I figured out that you actually use triangulate polygon mesh instead of quads, that's really a big challenge for polygon modeling, if it's not that trouble, could you please give us some suggestion for tri polygon modeling?

Thanks CDS, wish to see your wonderful works on here soon!!!

JBruckner
12-09-2002, 02:59 PM
The bone mat is the most amazing thing Ive seen, it really looks great, top quality work there.

KALATATOR
12-09-2002, 04:00 PM
Well ...you should look at your anatomy book or watch hollow man.(your wire is horrible)
you should go back to work!!!!!!!
:shame: :thumbsdow

PotatoHead
12-09-2002, 04:15 PM
well, the wire does look kinda strange, it doesnt follow the pattern of the fibres very well, or i just need glasses, ive been sitting infront of the computer for too long lately.

the realism is nevertheless extraordinary, good work!

CDS
12-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks all for the feedback...its greatly appreciated.

Nangleator...Frozen convicts???....thats a new one...LOL Nope everthing was modeled from scratch. No Scanning was involved at all.

junkie...I used a tripoly format for optimization reasons. The first two revisions were all in quad format, and to maintain an organic/smooth flow to the structures the poly count was just to high(over 10million). I Felt that for this project that poly efficency was a higher priority than a clean mesh....but it did make it much tougher to map cleanly.

...as for the strange wire, you have to remember that this is not a single model, each and ever muscle, ligament, sheath, bursa, retinaculum, membrane and nerve is its own independent model...all in various layers and trajectorys(due to origin, insertion, layer and mechanics...for example here are two back shots)

*Keep in mind these are old images...the muscle mats are just prelim and with no bone texture/mats on them.

the first shot is with 8 layers removed:
http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/back2.jpg

and this shot shows the the 8th layer removed to reveal the 9th layer.
http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/back1.jpg

Nangleator
12-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Regarding frozen convicts:

There was a project a few years back that froze a female and a male convict immediately after their deaths (by execution). The frozen corpses were then sliced into paper-thin cross sections and the cross sections were scanned.

There are apparently high-resolution meshes of these bodies. All sorts of subsets, like skeletal structure, muscles, organs, etc. If I remember correctly, it was called the Visible Human project.

So, you modeled all that yourself? Damn! Good work, dude.

Supernova
12-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Hey!
I saw that thing on TV, but I think it was more like 15 years ago...

CDS
12-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Ive heard of the project...and Ive seen much of what they have done....but I didnt realize that they used frozen convicts. I just thought they grabed cadavours the old fashioned way...the same way Gross Med Labs do it. Usually using unknown transients.

Nangleator
12-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Yeah, they wanted them as soon after death as possible, so they got volunteers.

Volunteers that were going to be executed anyway, that is.

:hmm:

Remi
12-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by KALATATOR
Well ...you should look at your anatomy book or watch hollow man.(your wire is horrible)
you should go back to work!!!!!!!
:shame: :thumbsdow

I personally would like to see this guy/gal do better...anyone else....:shrug: :thumbsdow oh an i don't believe i've ever seen an anatomy book with wireframes in it....:surprised

puu
12-11-2002, 10:44 PM
wow, your work is incredible!! Do you have a brain inside that skull? well done, 5 stars:applause:

Solesurvivor
12-11-2002, 10:51 PM
one word : fantastic

how does it feel, now that it's finished?

CDS
12-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone. The Feedback is very much appreciated.

Puu....no there is no brain in the skull. The current state of this project was to create bone, muscle, tendon, ligament, sheaths, retinaculums, bursa, interossus tissue and nerves(CNS & PNS only...no brain). Internal organs, extracellular tissues, circulatory, lymphatic, reproductive and skin will all be slated for another version in roughly 6 months time. First I have to animate the human ROM in both a CG and Composite format.

It feels great to be finished, it feels like the weight of the world has been lifted from my back(considering in the last yr I only took 14 days off total...basically working 7 days a week ave 300+ hours per month), but there's still 2 months worth of work on the software backend, so itll be awhile yet before I can take a vacation.

Thanks again everyone!

CDS
01-04-2003, 03:33 AM
Well, its back from the printers and we are now just waiting for the covers(then binding). The clients have released these two completed full body images. When the ROM animations are finished Ill post some(the ones the clients release anyway).

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/bl.jpg

KenM
01-04-2003, 04:20 AM
:surprised That's just astounding awesome work. I can't quite fathom the time and detail. Hopefully an understated compliment will do :bounce:.

CDS
01-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Thanks Ken.....I truly appreciate your compliment. Compliments from one's peers is always better than from laymen, and or family and friends.

CGmonkey
01-05-2003, 05:46 AM
Ah I really like it! awesome!
Though it feels like the muscles on the butt is a bit large. But whom am I to judge, you are the anatomy master here!!

Awesome!! :D :applause:

HieSpike
01-05-2003, 06:13 AM
very nice.....
but the butt and the chest do look flattened out..or overly massive.

Either way....keep up the good work.

peace,
Kane
:drumrock:

HapZungLam
01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
wa... insane modeling!!!! i was thinking you may used displacement. but it seems that you modeled out.

CDS
01-05-2003, 11:14 PM
SubDimension....thanks. The perspective of the glute might be throwing you off, here is another shot directly from the sides.

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/lateralleg.jpg

here is a shot from the inside:

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/webanatomy/medialleg.jpg

HieSpike.....I have had similar comments, but all of the dimensions fall within human normals. Its possible(my theroy) that people never see a living human body in this form, due to all of the other soft tissues(fat, scar tissue, lymph, blood, skin...ect), so it throws the percievable proportions off slightly.
Thanks for the Compliment.

HapZungLam.....yes sometimes I felt like I was going insane....LOL
This project contains over 4000 independently modeled structures.....and each muscle, ligament, bone, and nerve has its own texture/mat shader.

CGmonkey
01-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Yeah there we go.. really awesome! Insane stuff dude! :))

CDS
01-14-2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks SubDimension/CgMonkey....that darn perspec view can sometimes throw ya off. Then again we are all so use to the 2D orth type views in the currently illustrated anatomy textbooks, that the real 3D perspective view sometimes seems strange. I was in my brother chiropactic office today and every single anatomy chart he has up was ortho 2D....talk about zero depth perception.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.