PDA

View Full Version : Replacing instances within one composition?

wachstum
01-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Greetings,

I recently encountered two problems while working with AE.
First:

Created a composition with multiple instances of one resource element all moving along
different paths. During the course of the scene the resource element is to change into
another one while preserving the paths of movement. I can't simply replace the original since that would result in the first composition being changed, too. So, to the point, how can I replace an object within a composition without losing the motion path? Manually copying the keyframes for every layer is a pain, since it has to be done one by one. If anyone can elaborate on this I'd be grateful.

Second:

Is there a shortcut for selecting all keyframes of a layer when just clicking on the layer
name? So far, everytime I want to move a layer with motion paths etc. I always open the sub menue of the actual layer and shift-select every channel manually which can be exhausting once you have to do repetitively.

Thanks for reading,
Martin

Mylenium
01-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Greetings,

I recently encountered two problems while working with AE.
First:

Created a composition with multiple instances of one resource element all moving along
different paths. During the course of the scene the resource element is to change into
another one while preserving the paths of movement. I can't simply replace the original since that would result in the first composition being changed, too. So, to the point, how can I replace an object within a composition without losing the motion path? Manually copying the keyframes for every layer is a pain, since it has to be done one by one. If anyone can elaborate on this I'd be grateful.

Second:

Is there a shortcut for selecting all keyframes of a layer when just clicking on the layer
name? So far, everytime I want to move a layer with motion paths etc. I always open the sub menue of the actual layer and shift-select every channel manually which can be exhausting once you have to do repetitively.

Thanks for reading,
Martin

Alt+drag from the project window in the timelein will replace footage (layer needs to be selected, multiple layers can be replaced at once). Selecting a parameter will effectively select all keyframes. You can't select all keyframes of all parameters at once because AE needs some context to do its copy & paste routines.

Mylenium

wachstum
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Hello Mylenium,

I didn't expect something that easy for replacing, but so be it :)
Thanks for lending a hand, spares my nerves...

Bye,
Martin

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.