PDA

View Full Version : Riba (cat)animation short movie

doude
01-30-2006, 07:41 AM
:) hello there,

Finally after, 3 years, Riba is online. I posted few years ago a picture from the movie
>> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=127446

Riba is a graduate film school I directed with two friends Elise Garcette and Laurent Leleu in 2003 at supinfocom school in france.

http://yves.dalbiez.free.fr/images/film_riba/grande/Riba11.jpg

After his life in festivals, I finally made a website for this movie in order to make it getting old peacefully.
You can now watch the full movie in good quality (quicktime is required) in the movie section.

http://yves.dalbiez.free.fr/riba_themovie/index.htm

Hope you like it. :)

Yves.

authentic
01-30-2006, 09:29 AM
great movie. The rendering and character design are terrific; The story is interessant. But the animation is a little poor and slow. It seems that the character made an action, then stop, then another action, then stop.... I also think the whole story is a little slow.
Anyway it 's a big work with beautiful pictures. Well done.

matmonkfish
01-30-2006, 12:44 PM
well thought through/ tidy.

very festivalish. Love the fish. and the buildings.

tylerdurden369
01-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Beautifull images, really.
Feels like an animated version of a Nicolas de Crecy comic book.

Keep up the good work.

doude
01-31-2006, 05:12 AM
Hey guys, Thank you. :)

Actually, the animation is not so good because we were in late for the deadline, so we animated the whole movie in two weeks only. The first frame from Riba was rendered one month before the deadline. Crazy. We were glad to finish at time actually.
And like a lot of student movie, it's not perfect.

However, even it's an old work now (3 years ago) I still like it. It's a kind of first baby.

I'm glad you like it.

maximanya
01-31-2006, 05:32 AM
Great great style. I really enjoyed watching.
I think your over the top visual inventions are wasted by your animation. I wish you had more time to animate. I think with believable weight it was going to be one of the masterpieces.
Thanks for sharing.

chanan
01-31-2006, 05:48 AM
You guys did a great job creating an interesting and unique universe. This movie's got a different (but very cool) style. Way to go!

iainbanks
01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
I really liked the world that it was set in and the way in which it was rendered etc. reminds me a bit of Belville Rendezvous. As mentioned before the animation could be improved, but apart from that awsome.

Ranimate
01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
So touchy and emotional...
I liked the color scheme on this one, its a nice story, kinda reminded me of "Bunny" (Blue Sky studios).

I think the animation could have been pushed and tweaked but the overall piece comes through nicely and perhaps even compensated on that, which is cool... :D

What shader did u guys use? was it Tomcat?

Great enjoyable piece guys.

Ranimate

uncon
01-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Very nice short, I love the shot of the red fishy thing in the city. One thing really bugged me at the beginning though, he rams his pole through the music store window! It's not a big deal but for some reason it looked really odd to me.

Anyway, congratulations on completing a nice story with a great stylized look.

doude
02-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi,
:)
Thank you all. I'm glad you feel moved by the story and the style. That's the most important for me. We worked hard to find an original way of rendering to fit the story.

Ranimate>> thank you. For the sketchy contour line, we used tomcat toonshader,( created by my friend Patrick Jean). and for colours and painted aspect, We used traditionnal inks and painting, scanned and a lot of compositing.

uncon>> the pole through the music store window...of course, :) It 's a part of many things that I don't like in this movie. But, unluckily we didn't have any time to check this kind of mistake, not visible in preview animation...shouganai
This is a student movie, with mistakes, it's not perfect for sure. And that's why it's good to keep working hard.

Thanks guys.

HenningK
02-01-2006, 03:46 AM
Im so happy to see this again. The first renders of the cat on your WIP stuck with me for all this time. COngratulations not only on getting it done, but coming up with a beautiful piece. Your colors and style and direction are so nice it almost makes up for the rush on character animation: the feline touches are nice, but sadly, I agree with maxin... this could have really blown me away. Please dont skimp on character animation next time...
ask for help... I'd do it.
love,hen

webhead
02-01-2006, 04:29 AM
There is a really nice look to this film. I also like the sense of depth created in the city scenes. Interesting, if you think about it, that you chose this tender relationship to be between a cat and a fish.

jammin
02-01-2006, 05:20 AM
i have to agree with the 'slow animation in spots' comments -but other than that: beautiful

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 05:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.