PDA

View Full Version : Clay-lit models look blurry - how can I fix?

BMunchausen
01-30-2006, 06:40 AM
Hi there!

Well, I was thrilled when some kind souls here helped me figure out how to make this kind of render of my untextured models for presentation but the renders I'm making with Final Gather set to 500 (and every other setting for that matter) are coming out blurry. Could one of you experts please tell me what I need to do to fix this? See attached - I'm getting funny little blurry areas in various places.

Also, how would I make it so the model appears lighter/better lit? I tried making the lambert shader I was using as light as possible but that had minimal effect. Sorry for my ignorance. I did try experimenting for a while on my own, but I was afraid I'd permanently mess something up just randomly checking boxes and moving sliders.

Thanks so much! :)

Ian Jones
01-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Try lowering the min radius settings. Mentalray is highly dependant upon scale (in 3dsmax at least) so it's just likely either your model is a weird scale or your settings need to be adjusted to macth the scale. In general it's a good idea to model in real world scale.

BMunchausen
01-30-2006, 05:54 PM
aah....I didn't know that. I asked a while back about whether or not real world scale mattered when modeling buildings and was told that it didn't matter what their scale was as long as they were proportional to whatever else was in the scene and to a measurement that indicated human-size. So I'm not even sure what scale my models are. I'll definitely go check and see how far from real life size they are and give that a shot.

Thanks for your help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 05:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.