PDA

View Full Version : 12th Cent. BC Ring WIP

Glyptic
01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Here is a ring I've been working on.
The stone is a nicolo intaglio (two color intaglio) inspired by a 12th Cent. BC Egyptian stone in the National Library in Paris. The original is in quartz I believe.
For the render the "stone" is a jpg of the stone I engraved, put in the texture channel of the Color Channel of the ring model.
HDRI used to light the gold, two Area lights for background and stone. Modeled in Rhino V4 Beta, textured & rendered in R9.52, AR 2.5.
Crits/comments welcome.
cheers,
glyptic

seco7
01-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I think it is beautiful. Did you model off of a reference photo or personal viewing? Just curious.

vid2k2
01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Has a nice "antique" feel to it. Nicely done.

Question:
Would the incising of the image have soft edges
or fairly crisp edges ? Just asking as I've not seen
the references.

TIA

Glyptic
01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
I think it is beautiful. Did you model off of a reference photo or personal viewing? Just curious.

Hi, Seco7,
Thank you for your kind remark.
I have not seen the stone which resides in Paris. The photo I saw was in an old reference book in the Library of Congress in DC, which is a couple of blocks from where I teach. That is the Library I frequent most often for reference material.
I also have some out of print reference books with hundreds and hundreds of photos of engraved gems from ancient times. One of the best being "Antique Intaglios" printed in (then) Leningrad about 30+ years ago.
The ring design is inspired by a number of ancient rings I have seen in museums. If there is a show in DC or NYC I make a point of going.
So I guess you could say its a combination of personal viewing and reference material.
cheers,
glyptic

AdamT
01-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Very pretty render! One thought: the ring might look more ancient if you added a little ambient occlusion in the duffuse channel. But maybe it's supposed to be a cleaned-up ancient ring? :)

Glyptic
01-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Has a nice "antique" feel to it. Nicely done.

Question:
Would the incising of the image have soft edges
or fairly crisp edges ? Just asking as I've not seen
the references.

TIA

Hi, Vid2K2,
When made, the engraving would have had flawless, crisp edges.
If you ever have a chance to see any of the ancient intaglios, and have an interest in miniture sculpture, they are truly amazing. Mindboggling in fact.
Thank you for the kind comment. Cinema's texturing tools are great for "antiquing" what looks a bit like TV set from the Jetson's otherwise.
cheers,
glyptic

Glyptic
01-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Very pretty render! One thought: the ring might look more ancient if you added a little ambient occlusion in the duffuse channel. But maybe it's supposed to be a cleaned-up ancient ring? :)

Hi, Adam,
Thank you.
After a lot of hours of head banging and making C- renders, a little bit of time with 3D Fluff's latest DVD really moved me forward quite a bit.
I did use AO in Diffusion, but only on the Floor material. When I applied it to the ring itself, it darkened the area between the cylindrical elements a bit too much for my eye. As I kept knocking it back more and more, I realized the look I liked with with nada AO on the gold.
As for the target look......Its to show how one of the rings I would sell might look. So its strong on ancient style, but low on looking like an attempt at a reproduction or forgery.
As a finished piece it would have a burnished polished look, which is obtained by tumbling the ring with steel shot, which can produce a nice, warm polish and not a new, mirror finish.
Thanks for the comment and feedback.
cheers,
glyptic

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 06:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.