PDA

View Full Version : What are the best DVDs/Books

AP
01-29-2006, 05:07 AM
What I'm basically looking for is something that will show how to create a model from scratch (preferebly step-by-step) and then show the rigging process (again, preferebly step-by-step). Now, when I say step by step, I'm hoping to learn how to model a hand and fingers. Also, it doesn't have to contain modeling and rigging all in one. I'd be more than willing to get 2 sources with one on rigging and the other on modeling. I've done searches, read reviews, and searched again, but I'm still not sure on what to get. Here's some of the resources I've checked out so far...

Learning Maya™ 7 | The Modeling and Animation Handbook
looks a bit basic, plus I don't like the idea of modeling a specific character. I'd much rather something that showed the best layouts for modeling.

Maya Character Animation by Jaejin Choi
looks pretty good, but I read some bad things about it, such as it not being put together well.

The Art of Rigging Volume I
This looks awesome, but I would need something on modeling seperately.

The Art of Rigging Volume II
I'd have to get through vol. I first.

The Making of Leon
I might have to wait on this one.

Freedom-of-Teach Organic Modeling I: Human Anatomy Male
looks good as far as modeling, but it doesn't seem to mention anything about creating a low-res version to actually work with.

Hyper-Realistic Modeling
looks great, but I've read that it skips a lot of details

Hyper-Realistic Body Setup
also looks great, haven't seen to much about this one, good or bad.

Hyper-Realistic Facial Setup
I read that it's supposedly pretty good

Inspired Advanced 3D Character Rigging and Deformations
haven't seen to much on this one.

Maya Techniques™ | The Jason Schleifer Rigging Bundle
looks good for rigging, but again I'd have to have a seperate modeling resource.

Which ones should I get/not get? Again, these are only the things I've found. If you have any other recommedations, PLEASE feel free to list them.

BigCurly
01-31-2006, 02:14 AM
Definitely get the freedom of teach organic modeling DVD. It's the best modeling DVD I've ever seen. The Art of Rigging books are very good too and offer a lot of step by step tutorials for various parts of a rig.

AP
01-31-2006, 05:37 AM
What's a good resource for skinning/weight painting?

I emailed Kiaran over at CGtoolkit. He said they didn't talk about skinning/weight painting that much in Vol 1.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 05:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.