PDA

View Full Version : does cinema 4d utilize the GPU in rendering?

m.d.
01-28-2006, 11:35 PM
i was told cinema 4d utilizes the gpu while rendering....is this true?

michaeli
01-29-2006, 12:38 AM
No. CPU is only required while rendering.

Srek
01-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Take a look at 3D Fluff. Mash has some good information on this and simialr topics
http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/stuff.htm

Cheers
Björn

m.d.
01-29-2006, 10:27 PM
i didn't think so, I just had some know-it-all list every 3d app he could think of and said they all use the GPU for rendering.

michaeli
01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
i didn't think so, I just had some know-it-all list every 3d app he could think of and said they all use the GPU for rendering.

On the contrary , from what I know, every 3D app I could think of use Cpu not Gpu for final rendering.

dann_stubbs
01-30-2006, 12:51 AM
On the contrary , from what I know, every 3D app I could think of use Cpu not Gpu for final rendering.

actually maya also does have hardware rendering - which is using the video card to do the render - so yeah i guess maya does right now

and then gelato http://film.nvidia.com/page/gelato.html

can use nvidia drivers for some GPU rendering - i don't really follow that as it is not interesting for my use - but there are some that do.) is another form of that...

dann

sabwab
01-30-2006, 08:32 AM
gelato looks more like a game-engine than a image-renderer to me.

lllab
01-30-2006, 08:53 AM
i think metal ray does use the gpu too. so max, maya, xsi etc do use it i guess, when rendering in MR.

a lot of others dont.

cheers
stefan

sabwab
01-30-2006, 09:00 AM
http://www.mentalimages.com/2_1_1_technical/index.html#performance

it says for higher quality rendering. probably also a little faster yes.

dann_stubbs
01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
gelato looks more like a game-engine than a image-renderer to me.

so what is your point? the person asked about hardware rendering - i answered what i knew was available - you contributed nothing related to the question. if this is not up to your taste today - that is fine - the thread was not what you thought of it - the person asked if it existed. so yes, hardware rendering exists in a couple incarnations for other apps - but not C4D.

NVIDIA® Gelato™ 1.2 GPU-Accelerated
Final-Frame Renderer

NVIDIA Gelato is a breakthrough software rendering system designed to create beautiful imagery for film and other high-end applications. The software is accelerated with the NVIDIA Quadro FX® professional graphics hardware to render this imagery at unprecedented speeds. Gelato offers all the features that film and television professionals demand today, and is both flexible and extensible allowing for easy integration into your existing production pipeline, as well as satisfying the requirements of the future. Gelato is:
A hardware-accelerated, final-frame renderer with a full feature set, the power and stability needed for the most complex scenes in digital film, and that never compromises on image quality.
A product that takes your rendering pipeline into the future by harnessing the power of the GPU, with speed increasing at "Moore’s Law cubed," while using familiar tools like Alias Maya and Autodesk 3ds Max as a user interface.
Architected and supported by the best rendering engineers on the planet, and by NVIDIA, the global leader in 3D graphics.

m.d.
01-30-2006, 11:29 PM
ya i knew about gelato....and i heard it's not everything it's cracked up to be....as in not alot faster

dann_stubbs
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
ya i knew about gelato....and i heard it's not everything it's cracked up to be....as in not alot faster

well i was just trying to say what was available - since you did not specify knowing - but a few short years ago raytracing (and radiosity) were both too slow and not everything cracked up to be. times change VERY fast... i remember using alias plain old renderer in most projects because the alias raytracer was too slow on the 16 processer sgi challenge servers...

i'm sure in a year gelato will be pretty darn incredible - after all nvidia stands to make a ton of money if they make essentially raytracing cards out of their video cards that can be used with games/applications.

dann

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.