PDA

View Full Version : landed a big contract!

mookid2005
01-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi, I've just been given the go ahead on being the technical director on a upcoming indie film. A horror/ sci-fi.
Obviously There's no way I can do it all on my own as nearly every shot is going to be worked on. I need to get a small army of Fusion, XSI, GiMP, boujou monkeys with good internet communication skills to help me out.

It will be a % on sale job, so no promises about pay until I have some kind of contract from the producer.

What i need to know, as I can't advertise until I have all the details, is;-

a) Is it going to be be possible to get 10 or so crew from CGtalk on the promise that they'll get paid once the picture is bought?

b) How tangible is it to set up a render farm with the above people?

I hope I posted this in the right place, feel free, mods, if I posted this in the wrong forum!

hiphopcr
01-29-2006, 01:58 AM
Wow, well anyone with any type of experience in the business will run for the hills once they read, "so no promises about pay until I have some kind of contract..."

That sentence has been poison for many a CG artist. However, I did see a few people interested in helping out with an indie film at vfxtalk.com (http://www.vfxtalk.com) in the job lot section, I think there will always be some newbies willing to work hard on nothing... ah, the ethusiasm of youth. But they've gotta learn their lessons somehow.

mookid2005
01-29-2006, 11:01 AM
hehe. What was meant by that was no HIRING till I get some kind of contract from the producer. Of course, I would never dream of hiring anyone until I had them under a contract of some kind.
Sorry, you can come back from the hills! :D

Dutchman
01-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Really interesting! :drool: If 'we' can be sure of money (well: it sounds uncool, but at the end that's what its all about, eh! ;) ), I'd be very interested! :) I really wonder what kind of movie it is (horror/sci-fi > something like War of the Worlds? :arteest: ), and the way you got the 'contract' (because the director is a friend of you or so, or along the 'professional way'?).

I hope to hear more of it! :) It would always be nice to get some professional experience and to be able to switch my current holiday-job for a CG project! ;)
-Gijs

dbates
01-29-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd love to help out, though I'm not sure my skills are up to par.

JoshKirk
01-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Im one of those inexperienced youths that would work for free.

hiphopcr
01-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Yeah I agree with Dutchman, sounds interesting and I'd love to hear more, good luck with it!

jigu
01-30-2006, 04:07 AM
hmmm.....interesting...

Agree with Gijs...(Dutchmen)

BTW what do u mean by "indie" film? is it any indian film?

-Jigu.

JoshKirk
01-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Indie is short for independent film. So its not backed by a big studio.

jigu
01-30-2006, 05:50 AM
Indie is short for independent film. So its not backed by a big studio.

...thanks!! i didn't read or see that shortform of that word before anywhere on the web.

mookid2005
01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
No not Bollywood i' afraid ! :D

Without revealing too much, the basic idea of the film is some guys workout a way to travel to different dimentions, ultimately causing them to get into trouble with the evil one himself!
From what I gather it's also going to have a bit of a 'Alice through the looking glass' to it too.

They are trying to go for a film that seems closer to he sort of horrors you get in a nightmare as opposed to the stuff of blockbuster movies. So, it might not make much sense, or just be plain arty. :D

Wizdoc
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
A lot of indie producers/directors are extremely protective of their work, even too much at times. When you got a solid production budget, then you can afford all kinds of NDAs and secrets and dedicated hardware and people working in some secure location guarded by dogs and men with guns.

Okay, so that was a bit hyperbolic.

But my point is, if your project is a lot more open about what your specific shots are, what work is needed and what problems you have, you have a lot better chance attracting people to work with low or zero money. I'm sure if the project sounds cool and doesn't hide itself behind veils of secrecy and mystery, even experienced professionals can lend a hand for free.

For example, let's say your film needs tracking for a relatively simple five second shot. If you are open about who you are, what you want and what the compensation will be (e.g. maybe just a name in the credits), maybe a pro decides it sounds neat and cooks it up during his lunch hour. And even if not, at least you'll get good, sound technical advice from people of this forum. For free.

And all you need is to set up a website with shot lists, goals, limitations, screenshots and the like.

tuomasj
01-31-2006, 05:48 AM
But my point is, if your project is a lot more open about what your specific shots are, what work is needed and what problems you have, you have a lot better chance attracting people to work with low or zero money. I'm sure if the project sounds cool and doesn't hide itself behind veils of secrecy and mystery, even experienced professionals can lend a hand for free.

For example, let's say your film needs tracking for a relatively simple five second shot. If you are open about who you are, what you want and what the compensation will be (e.g. maybe just a name in the credits), maybe a pro decides it sounds neat and cooks it up during his lunch hour. And even if not, at least you'll get good, sound technical advice from people of this forum. For free.

And all you need is to set up a website with shot lists, goals, limitations, screenshots and the like.

I like this idea. Wizdoc has a point. But if the director/producer wants to keep it secret, thats understandable. After all, it's their movie :)

The website could get little bit more attention for the movie and maybe get coverage from vfx magazines/websites. Or the website could get slashdotted or something :)

I hope everything goes well with the movie.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 05:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.