PDA

View Full Version : what would i miss from maya?

orbitalpunk
01-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi guys, I am considering switching from maya to XSI and wanted to hear from others who have made the similar swtich and could share with me what features they miss in maya that are not in xsi. especially in the animation tools.

Thanks so much

colintheys
01-28-2006, 03:48 PM
judging from my experience, you may miss the ability to use maya and still feel productive. :) But I'm sure someone out there misses something. before xsi 5 I missed keyframes on the timeline, but they've got those now.

orbitalpunk
01-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Hi colintheys, so your saying if i move to XSI i will just miss maya completely and i will never feel productive on XSI? just wanted to be sure i understood that. your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks

colintheys
01-29-2006, 04:30 AM
no no. Quite the contrary. I use Maya at work and later began using XSI at home and now at work I always feel unproductive with Maya. It's not that XSI does anything that maya doesn't because that's not really true; I just personally find the interface in XSI far easier to work with and thus get what I want done much more efficiently. I realize that it's a personal preferance and nothing inherently better about the software, but the difference to me is quite pronounced. I'd advise trying the mod tool. When I tried EXP at home I felt the difference so quickly that within a week I had purchased my license. Give it a shot and see what you think!

-Colin

orbitalpunk
01-29-2006, 05:25 AM
Is the EXP oriented more for games? Seems that way in there description of it.

colintheys
01-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know:

EXP is actually no longer available. EXP was the free 'demo' version released equivalent to Maya PLE for XSI v3.0. When 4 came alone, XSi release XSI Mod tool, which is indeed designed primarily for games. It's supposed to both fill the role of EXP as a demo and as a usable mod tool for games like halflife 2. It saves to a custom format and limits output resolution / adds a watermak. However the impression i get is that it's pretty full-featured oterwise. There is also a XSI Foundation 30 day trial available from the site. Maybe you should try that instead? I haven't actually used the mod tool because I got XSI back in v3 and thus used exp as my demo.

-Colin

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2006, 05:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.