PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating PC fans

ArtbyBpc
01-28-2006, 02:13 AM
I have had my built workstation for about 6 months now, recently I have heard one of the fans making a "ticking" noise as it rotates. Can I open this baby up and lube up the inside to take care of it? Have you tried this in the past?

jcbray
01-28-2006, 05:22 AM
I havn't heard of that, but considering the cost of fans, I would think buying a new one would be a much simpler option, rather then throwing lubricant around, even a dry one like graphite.

SheepFactory
01-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Yea definitely buy a new one when they start making sounds.

before you do though , get one of those pressurized air dusters and clean up the computer , see if that takes care of it first.

singularity2006
02-01-2006, 07:35 AM
kind of off the wall, but it might be possible to use graphite dust to lubricate the bearing. That's if you're super cheap and want to waste the time. (:

we used graphite dust (take your pencil and grind down the tip into the fan) to lubricate all sorts of things back in metal shop.... WD40 didn't work well with electronics. =)

deathman20
02-01-2006, 08:07 PM
kind of off the wall, but it might be possible to use graphite dust to lubricate the bearing. That's if you're super cheap and want to waste the time. (:

we used graphite dust (take your pencil and grind down the tip into the fan) to lubricate all sorts of things back in metal shop.... WD40 didn't work well with electronics. =)

Either does graphite dust, since its very conductive.

Its more or less in your best intrest to just bite the bullet and buy a new fan. There cheap and can be picked up almost anywhere.

alanmac
02-01-2006, 08:39 PM
The potential cost in damage to your computer caused by anything other than just replacing the fan could be far greater than the cost of a new one, so I go with the others opinions - just buy a new one.

tfortier
02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
my fan also start doing a train sound when I start the computer (I hope its the fan) ... It is easy to replace by myself? I never touch anything except gpu and ram...

Calle
02-01-2006, 09:38 PM
my fan also start doing a train sound when I start the computer (I hope its the fan) ... It is easy to replace by myself? I never touch anything except gpu and ram...

It's probably just a couple of screws or plastic clips. Just don't use a crowbar, then it could be messy. :)

UrbanFuturistic
02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Lube up?!?

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.