PDA

View Full Version : mirroring joint heirarchy with parented geometry

yenvalmar
01-27-2006, 09:18 PM
using mirror joint, the geometry comes out all crazy, flipped and not where it should be. all of the transforms are frozen on the geometry. any ideas? i have a pretty complex rig, that i'd rather not have to re parent all the nodes by hand. (see movie).

http://www.yenvalmar.com/nonprofit/theory/karma/images/wingrig_v8.avi

also for super bonus points, all the joits are controlled by constraints to a separate animation rig maed of a heirarchy of nurbs curves.. any way to keep the entire shebang and not have to re link all the constraints?

M.E.L.
01-28-2006, 02:50 AM
not much you can really do in this scenario to be honest as you've pretty much euchred yourself...

the closest thing for the geometry is breaking the connections (using disconnectAttr), store off all the broken data into an Array (string array would work), mirror and then re-parse the data back onto the mirrored side. As for the nodes, well... same type of thing but here you're even more SOL as you'll have to invert values etc etc.

-s

yenvalmar
01-28-2006, 03:11 AM
i wound up duplicating all the geo, group, mirror that, ungroup, freeze transforms blah blah, then mirror the joints and delete the messed up copies of the geo that came along with it, then duplicate and mirror my control rig, which mostly just uses parenting so it came through with the heirarchy intact. i still had to parent the geometry to the skeleton, re do the IK, and constrain the joints and IK to the controll rig, but it beat having to re do the whole thing from zero, and since i already figured out all the constraints it went faster the second time. i've spent more time on dumber.. i still dont see why the geometry didnt simply maintain its position when the skeleton was duplicated though, all the values were zeroed out and all, but things flew off into hyperspace with zerod values on the mirrored copy.. odd.

http://www.yenvalmar.com/nonprofit/theory/karma/images/wingrig_v15.avi

just in general is there some automated way to do this? like if i had planned on it from square one? i've never rigged something complex and mechanical, as opposed to a character with few pieces, so i wasnt even thinkng about this problem till i was done the first wing. its actually really fun, doing the hydraulics and making all the articulations work and stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2006, 03:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.