PDA

View Full Version : Vray image grain in Mental Ray

mmtoo
01-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I have noticed in many of the image created using vray, there is a grain in the final render which creates a 35mm look, and enhances the contrast and depth of the images. Is there a similar feature or proceedure using Maya or Mental Ray?

Thanks for you help.

krembo99
01-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I have noticed in many of the image created using vray...

I think you mean Maxwell, and not V-Ray..
V-ray is well known for the smooth output it has.
At any rate, you can achive that effect in post. (PS)
I

GARJones
01-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I tend to add a little noise to renders in post myself. I think you can that kind of thing with path tracing in Vray, not sure if there's an equivalent in Mental Ray. The funny thing is, it's more apparent the more you lower your settings, if you get what I mean, so an image with noise takes less time to render than an image without using the same method. I suppose the reason this is a realistic effect is because film is far from perfect in itself.

CupOWonton
01-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Its the PPT method of rendering for Vray. Like Maxwell*we assume it uses an MLT system of light transfer* PPT traces each pixel individualy, multiple times to clean up the image, over and over. The longer you wait, the cleaner it gets. Theres no AA for it, it doesnt store any extra data, it just traces the pixel and puts it on screen. This method results in a natural grain. and as it renders you instantly get to see a good preview of what a DOF/Motionblurr + GI + Caustics image will look like without having to wait on a final render.

As for MentalRay, well, I'm positive the Max version doesnt have this option, however the MentalRay for Maya seems to be much more updated and people have told me it uses some new render setups.

Yourworstnightmare
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
As for MentalRay, well, I'm positive the Max version doesnt have this option, however the MentalRay for Maya seems to be much more updated and people have told me it uses some new render setups.

As of Max 8, it has the newest version of Mental Ray, there are options for things like film grain, dof, motion blur, and other things, but Mental Ray is harder to learn and use, so it will be more dificult to make the renders look like vray makes them with almost no set up time.

CupOWonton
01-31-2006, 09:38 PM
As of Max 8, it has the newest version of Mental Ray, there are options for things like film grain, dof, motion blur, and other things, but Mental Ray is harder to learn and use, so it will be more dificult to make the renders look like vray makes them with almost no set up time.

I know about film grain, however, from what was expressed to me by some Maya users. The Maya installment of mentalray had another way to calculate GI using a path tracing method. Also, I'm jealous that maya's mentalray has better shaped area lights, rather than having to use FG and a self illuminated shape/form, apparently their objects would cast actual light rays without the need for GI.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 09:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.