PDA

View Full Version : Waste of Space - the trailer

NinjaFredde
01-27-2006, 09:14 AM
http://www.ninjafredde.com/images/gallery/sp1.jpg

Hey everyone!

Today I uploaded a trailer for my upcoming animation short Waste of Space. Grab it here:

Waste of Space - the trailer (60 mb quicktime)
http://www.ninjafredde.com/WOS_trailer.mov

Waste of Space is an implementation of a project I started about a year ago to see if I could come up with a clever and nice-enough-looking workflow on low-end systems. You could call it a cheap and fast render pipeline. The result is a documented work process for full-frame rendering complete with motion blur and DOF at reasonable rendertimes. It uses stuff like:

Generic Character System
All characters are derived from one generic base character mesh. This generic character has all the morphs for lip-sync. facial-expressions as well as the different faces. Beards, hats, hair and other props are just hidden and displayed depending on what character is being used. This enables me to perfect one character rig and reuse it over and over.

Rendering techniques
MentalRay does some really fast occlusion calculations. In Waste of Space I use those together with ink & paint shaders. On top of that I use regular render effects such as depth of field and motion blur. All this to get rid of the need for comping.

Remember, I designed this workflow primarily for speed on low-end systems and with even just a few more machines (or just more time) it would certainly be possible to use MentalRay motion blur and DOF. It's the old trade-off time vs beauty hehe..

Let me know what you think!

http://www.ninjafredde.com/images/gallery/WoS/john.jpg

http://www.ninjafredde.com/images/gallery/WoS/bridge.jpg

Creature
01-28-2006, 01:57 PM
That is looking really cool. I like the style and most of the animations are quite good too. Didn't know that F22 can fly in space :)

I'm looking forward to the finished animation.

NinjaFredde
01-28-2006, 03:09 PM
well, most of the vehicle inspiration for this comes from Macross/Robotech stuff I watched as a kid. Ships looking like space modified F14s that could transform into these cool robots :)

I started out doing it in full color but it didn't look as good as i wanted... So I figured I do this in B/W first. I also wanted to get a feel of a cold and dark space.
Also, almost everyone seems to manically competing for photorealism so I thought I would do better this way.

And as for the animation - well, I would never claim to be an animator. I'm happy with some shots but some I just can't get to work.

Creature
01-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I liked all animations (especially the technical ones with rumbling and wobbling cables and machines and stuff). Only in the shot where you see the pilot the first time - the camera aproaches the plane from behind, turns round and zooms in at the cockpit. In this shot the pilot was a bit emotionless with only little facial animation. That was the only thing I noticed about animation.

But the style is really cool. Are there any explosions? How do you do those? I'd love to see them printed-comic style with BOOOOOM written in them and not really animated but only scaled over time :D

NinjaFredde
01-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks man!
There's gonna be one massive explosion (in the asteroid field) and yes, it's gonna be in comic book style for sure :) There is one shot (where the pilot slams his controls) where you can see debris coming from behind.

The first shot panning over the ship was a test render for the ships rig made just for this trailer and probably wont make it into the final animation.. No keys at all. Everything moving is automated with noise controllers and constraints (hands are constrained to the controls which shake independantly from the chair).

I enjoy rigging technical stuff and automating them. Cables, hydraulics and so on :) but I still got a long way to go wth character animations..

ragdoll
01-28-2006, 05:08 PM
hey man, that looked really cool!

kinda like some animation in cartoon network of some sort... :arteest:

love to see the finished product! :wip:

good luck!

-rj

NinjaFredde
01-28-2006, 05:44 PM
thaaank you for the comments Ragdoll :) This will push me forward to completing episode 1 real soon. I'll keep you posted, dude!
/F

NinjaFredde
01-29-2006, 05:21 PM
So, I've gotten 500 + views but only 2 people commenting. I've been looking at this animation far too many times and I'd be very happy for comments from people seeing it for the first time! Thanks! :)
/F

Silence32
01-29-2006, 06:31 PM
this clip remember me on captain future, where i saw when i was i child :)

it realy looks nice, did you let them black with or did you but some collor in?
the idea good and maybe its best let them without collor :)

NinjaFredde
01-29-2006, 06:41 PM
hey Silence32 :) thanks for dropping by.

I had this idea to use only black, white and red color but I haven't done it consistently. I think it will be only black/white to make the space feel very cold and dark :)

Saihtam
01-30-2006, 01:00 AM
I like a lot the animation, the cartoon style is good too even if I'm not a fan of a black and white. there is some pieces that I have difficulty to understand what they were doing in the trailer (for exemple, the man in the toilet)
but at the end it's good! Waiting for the final animation.

NinjaFredde
01-30-2006, 05:19 AM
Thanks! I agree that the trailer doesn't make a lot of sense. I basically took the good-looking shots and put them in at expence of the plot. The shot of the man on the toilet is reacting to an alarm (only to find he is out of toilet paper)

I'm really pressing on to complete it now! I'll let you know! :)
/F

xtetra
01-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Well you may have too much time on your hands but you've clearly made better use of it than anyone I know! Well done - IMHO this looks better than some of the anime I've rented at the video store.

NinjaFredde
01-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Hehe!! Thank you very much for that! This motivates me even more to get these last shots out so I can finish it all! After all, I'm trying to prove stuff like this can be done quickly with this workprocess so stay tuned :)

admiraligor
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
"stupid peice of plastic shit, go faster! *whack* " hahahahahaha... 5 stars just for that alone

NinjaFredde
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah :) There are some great lines in it. I had my friend do his best american hot shot impression and I can't thank him enough for the voice acting he put in. Hehe..

lillmagnus
01-31-2006, 01:09 PM
The ships and enviroments looks great, and I really like the choise of maiking it in black and white. The characteranimation could use some finetuning though and one other colour would make it shine. Ser fram emot mer.

NinjaFredde
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks! Character animation is not my strongest side and I admit I have been a bit sloppy with the lipsync, well all character animation stuff really x) I'm gonna go over some of these shots once more before the full release of episode 1 though.. Säger till när det finns mer att se :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.