Scribus is an open source page layout program with the aim of
producing conformant commercial grade output in PDF and Postscript.,
along with extensive support for graphical PDF form and PDF
presentations.

While the goals of the program are ease of use and simple easy to
understand tools, Scribus offers support for professional publishing
features, such as CMYK colors, easy PDF creation and Encapsulated
Postscript import/export. Other professional features include full ICC
color management, spot colors and creation of color separations.

Scribus is commercially supported and is available for Linux/*nix/BSD,
along with MacOSX(R) and Windows(R). Scribus is used around the world
for newspaper production, book publishing and a wide variety of page
layout tasks.

http://www.scribus.net

and before you ask - this is probably not going to be of great interest to any of you guys that already own a copy of Quark Express or Indesign or are not allergic to eye-patches, peg-legs or parrots. It is however quite useable and cabable of decent results.

cara-rj
01-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up KayosIII! :thumbsup:

I've been hoping for a native version for quite some time.

phexitol
01-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Awesome. I was almost afraid that I'd have to pony up and get InDesign (may do so eventually anyway). I'm loving the PDF tools in it :)

VirgilioVasconcelos
01-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Scribus is a really great tool. Iīve been using it on Linux for a while and never had problems. Very good to see it on Windows, so more people could taste Open Source DTP. It sure worth spending some time to get used to.

Itīs in Linux use combined with Blender, The Gimp and Inkscape makes an almost complete suite for Graphic Designers in printing.

For web I only miss a good Flash substitute, so I have to emulate Windows to run it.

KayosIII
01-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Do you use flash for UI work or content - If content you might like to look at Moho from Lost Marble - it has some really sweet features.

http://www.lostmarble.com

VirgilioVasconcelos
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
=D

Moho is a very good tool also! For 2D animation is probably the best for Linux (although itīs not open source), but Iīve meant Flash for ActionScript programming and web graphics... =D

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.