PDA

View Full Version : Ultraviolet trailer

Leonard
01-26-2006, 10:39 PM
The Ultraviolet trailer was released today on Apple.com:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/ultraviolet/

Is anyone else getting bored of the 'chicks with guns' theme?

SheepFactory
01-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Nope , as long as the chick is Milla Jovovich its fine. :D

Jokes aside I dont think this will be your average chick with guns flick. I have faith in the director , Equilibrium was a great movie.

TheChosen1
01-27-2006, 02:44 AM
Equilibrium was alright but the thing with the cutting of the face (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about) was super cheesy and horrible looking. This movie looks pretty cool though.

hellgatemedia
01-27-2006, 02:56 AM
Chicks with guns work fine for me, especially if it's a good chicks with guns movie, and
having Milla never hurts either. I really like this director, yes at times he's a bit of a
Wachowsky knock off, and certain times you can't help but scream out "Matrix, cough cough" but still, he's got a great sense for action, and certain visual things, like that sequence where she is surrounded by thousands of soldiers.
I see that certain people will be returning from Equilibrium, such as William Fichtner who is a fantastic character actor.
Although it's not exactly treading new ground, I find it fitting that Kurt Wimmer returns to sci fi for his sophmore effort. And now that Equilibrium has found a loyal base on video, maybe Ultraviolet will do better for him than Equilibrium, which bombed in theatres.
I'd much rather he be doing movies like these than writing scripts like the Recruit, which I didn't much care for. It's amazing that it took so long for him to get another movie out, but than again Richard Kelley who also directed a cult favorite movie had to wait a year longer before his second film could come out which is this year also..

KolbyJukes
01-27-2006, 03:25 AM
I saw this trailer in front of Underworld, and was wincing the whole time...looks like a compliation of all the cliche crap we've seen over the last 5 years.

JDex
01-27-2006, 04:36 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread... it is very formulaic for the modern chick-action-flick... but it has a really good design in some respects and I love the color pallette in the trailer. If it's pulled off well, I'll bite. There may have been a bunch of movies that look like this, but very few we're even okay... I can live with them making another in the genre if it doesn't suck.

extol
01-27-2006, 04:46 AM
I have faith in the director , Equilibrium was a great movie.

agreed! im looking forward to this film, I think Kurt Wimmer did an excellent job with Equilibrium

Darktwin
01-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Don't think I'll be seeing this one on the big screen, but maybe I'll rent it. Wait... didn't I see this before, I swear I've seen this movie before......

EpShot
01-27-2006, 07:36 AM

nope, actualy i would like some more.
if speilberg did a 'chicks with guns', i could die a happy man :D (and maybe a few othe rchoice directors that haven't yet)

amannin
01-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Milla + guns + scandalously provocative attire = :shrug:

maybe another 5th element? well, it looks entertaining nonetheless.

PokeChop
01-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Big Bada Boom!

Blazer
01-27-2006, 01:53 PM
At first I thought this was going to be the teaser for Resident Evil 3.......

Isn't she going to play a genetically altered action chick with super powers fighting her creators in that movie as well?

monsterboy
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
No, no this is clearly different to Resident Evil. This time Milla rides up a skyscraper on a motorbike, rather than running down a skyscraper. You see, completely different.

Love those outfits though :twisted:

heavyness
01-27-2006, 05:31 PM
this has Equilibrium all over it [makes sense since its the same guy]

i like the body armor made out of glass shattering... i'll give it a chance.

but did they have to use the "Matrix" song in the trailer? at least they used Jem near the end, so that makes it up for me.

cookepuss
01-27-2006, 06:00 PM
My first thought when I saw the trailer in front of Underworld was Zzzzzzz..... I suspect that this reaction is due less to the content of the film and more with the way the trailer was cut. I've seen lots of good films with some REALLY bad trailers. Anybody who's ever seen the original Star Wars trailers knows what I mean. (Actually, just about any trailer pre-1995 reeked of cheese.)

Am I tired of the whole "chicks with guns" thing? Not if its done properly. That's like asking am I sick of gun toting muscleheads or lanky martial artists. Not really. For every Enter the Dragon you've got 20 American Ninja 3's. I've got nothing against female empowerment. Personally, I think that we should thank the likes of Sigourney Weaver & Linda Hamilton. Its about time women started kicking @$$ and broke away from the whole damsel in distress cliche.

MattClary
01-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Nope , as long as the chick is Milla Jovovich its fine. :D

Agreed!!! She didn't look quite as good in the second resident evil movie, but I saw this trailer in the theatre the other day and was blown away by her! I think they have done some odd processing work to the film and a side-effect is it makes her skin look like porcelain. Man, she is a beautiful woman. :love:

Strang
01-27-2006, 07:58 PM
anyone notice the heavy blur? a lot of inferno work...

while its not ground breaking, i think it will be fun.

ENL
01-28-2006, 04:51 AM
"deleted post"

LoTekK
01-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Well this certainly looks like fun. I definitely enjoyed Equilibrium, and I have faith in Kurt Wimmer to pull this off. If nothing, it looks like he's got some gun kata in this flick, and if there's one hot chick with guns that could pull it off, it's Milla. :love: Those outfits are fantastic. :scream:

Bill Finchtner's in it, too. :thumbsup:

Teyon
01-28-2006, 10:32 AM
While I think the film may end up making me feel like I ate chinese (full but still hungry), I also feel like it's a snazzier AEon Flux with a actress/model better suited for the part. As a fan of the leading lady, I'll see it (with my mom most likely, who loves her). Here's hoping it doesn't blow. :)

Kid-Mesh
01-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Gawd, I have written so many sci-fi scripts in my spare time, I could have flipped them off one to use instead.....yawn.

First off...is it me or did the environments and the whole movie just seem way too clean? Everything in the film looks "brand new". IMO that lends to losing the viewer "me" as I cant buy into the world they are trying to create. Also from the trailer everything was way too bright...How can you get a sense of "evil" or dark intentions from friggin bright lights and brand new spandex pants and metal?

Based off of what I could gather from the story line, this should have been a darker more gritty looking film visually. And will people please stop using music from the Matrix (Napoleon voice) Gosh. If you cant take the time to come up with a unique soundtrack to score your film then why should I believe you went the extra miles any where else? Rehasing the Matrix soundtrack is like trying re-heat Taco Bell the next day....it's just nasty.

But anyway, it would have been better off going direct to DVD or as a premiere on the SCI-FI channel. No innovation, no groundbreaking storytelling, just another SOB (Same Ole Bull!@$$) film.

rblitz7
01-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah I saw this before Underworld and was yawning the whole time. Its very similar to Aeon Flux and just looks plain cheesy. I think these kinds of movies have potential if there are actually smart and talented people working on them.

hellgatemedia
01-28-2006, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=cookepuss] I've seen lots of good films with some REALLY bad trailers. Anybody who's ever seen the original Star Wars trailers knows what I mean. [size=1][i](Actually, just about any trailer pre-1995 reeked of cheese.)

Cookepuss, would you be referring to those wonderful old trailers, where some guy who sounds like he smokes 30 packs a day narrates some tag line?

As for the Matrix music, blame that on hollywood. Heck, how may times have we seen a vampire movie trailer with the same music as Coppola's Dracula?
Do any directors get to choose how the trailers are cut, and what music is used?
And than they got confused with Underworld, whether or not to use the movie music, or since there were black Goth types in the movie, to use Nine Inch Nails, so they did both.

I read a comment about the cleanliness of the backgrounds. In Equilibrium, the future was a very sterile, clean place. Everything was just kind of perfect, and that's why it all kind of worked. And I'm goign to assume that the same applies to this film. Wimmer's apparent vision of the future is one of order and sterility, and perfectness, and yes he borrrows a bit here and there, but I happened to enjoy Equlibrium, and I think it may have had a part in Christian Bale landing the Bat role. I too write sci fi scripts, not professionally because I haven't been picked up professionally, but I openly admit that it would be impossible for me to write something without having influences seep into my work.
Since Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, and Alien, and than finally Matrix there hasn't really been a wealth of unique and original sci fi out there. It's very hard to write something that people can't turn around and go, I saw this in______, or that's a lot like something I saw in ________.

Bonedaddy
01-28-2006, 06:25 PM
I worked on this. Did fx work for the opening shot and most of the motorcycle chase.

It's clean and antiseptic by design. The heavy blurriness and washed out colors I am guessing they did in the DI. We had a bit of that in what we gave them, but it seemed cranked up a lot in the trailer. Of course, I've only seen it on the internet, and not in theaters, so I don't know if that's the compression, or something else.

cookepuss
01-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Cookepuss, would you be referring to those wonderful old trailers, where some guy who sounds like he smokes 30 packs a day narrates some tag line?
Yeah. Not only that, but the fact that trailers weren't trying to be cool or hip. If anything, lots of older trailers were a bit on the "bouncier" and more campy side. They always promoted things in the broadest of fashions. Plus, trailers back then didn't have the same exact audience as they do today in the age of broadband internet connections. Today, you can watch a trailer even if you don't go to the movies. Marketing handles trailers a lot differently than they did back in the day. Today's trailers try harder to remain themeatically and stylisticly aligned with the movie itslef. The only major downside to modern trailers is in their inability to keep from spoiling the whole movie. If Empire Strikes Back came out today, I can almost certainly guarantee you that they'd at least hint at the story's "dark secret".

As for the Matrix music, blame that on hollywood. Heck, how may times have we seen a vampire movie trailer with the same music as Coppola's Dracula?
It depends on the vampire movie. Some, like Underworld, have used the Rob D song from the Matrix. Others have used more generic gothic stuff. That's one of the things that always attracted me to the Lost Boys as a vampire flick. The soundtrack wasn't so generic and forgettable.

Do any directors get to choose how the trailers are cut, and what music is used?
I think that's a marketing thing. The director is, afaik, usually only peripherally involved in getting the trailer cut together. Again, that depends on the specific film. A number of directors such as Robert Rodriguez are a lot more hands on with the non-directorial aspects of the film.

In Equilibrium, the future was a very sterile, clean place. Everything was just kind of perfect, and that's why it all kind of worked. And I'm goign to assume that the same applies to this film. Wimmer's apparent vision of the future is one of order and sterility, and perfectness, and yes he borrrows a bit here and there,
What's funny is that I don't necessarily see this vision as Wimmer's exclusively. I think that a large part of Equilibrium's core message is derived from Lucas' THX. All Equilibrium did was stick in a gun toting action presentation.

OneSharpMarble
01-28-2006, 08:10 PM

Good god yes, if I have to see another 110lb girl beat up 5 200lb men one more time I am gonna have an embolism.

IT'S NOT EDGY ANYMORE!

cookepuss
01-28-2006, 08:20 PM
It might be if more of them didn't seem so damn invincible. I think that there's such a stigma attached to hitting women that we don't often see a female action hero get her @$$ handed to her...badly. Its rare that a female action hero is as vulnerable as her male counterpart. It also doesn't help that many of these female characters are given depth beyond the physical, sexual level. All action. No personality or human faults. We've gotten our female equivalent to Stallone, but we've yet to get the female equivalent of Bruce Willis.

amannin
01-29-2006, 05:49 AM
...but we've yet to get the female equivalent of Bruce Willis.

*shutters* --- just so long as she doesn't resemble bruce too much, i agree. you don't typically see a female action hero get the crap beat out of her, and i'm not sure hollywood will ever let us... (independent film makers, this is your chance)

sciics
01-29-2006, 06:23 AM
the song in the trailer is by Jem called '24' must listen...just in case you were wondering.. aprantly jem has other cool songs so do check that out..:thumbsup:

Cyborgguineapig
01-29-2006, 06:33 AM

I am. Special effects look rad but story itself looks like Kill Bill, resident Evil, Blade ect mixed into one film. Disgusting.

laureato di arte
01-29-2006, 12:40 PM
the song in the trailer is by Jem called '24' must listen...just in case you were wondering.. aprantly jem has other cool songs so do check that out..:thumbsup:

yea i like her stuff and im more of a hip hop and rnb head and she really impressed me.

Sharky0815
01-29-2006, 01:49 PM
We've gotten our female equivalent to Stallone, but we've yet to get the female equivalent of Bruce Willis.

I am. Special effects look rad but story itself looks like Kill Bill, resident Evil, Blade ect mixed into one film. Disgusting.

Strange, one of the things I liked most about Kill Bill was that the heroine gets roughed up pretty bad. Ultraviolet looks bland to me, itīs lacking "texture"... maybe its because of these stylized, clean environments... Also, judging from the trailer, the characters look pretty "cookie-cutter" action hero/ enemy... The gasmasks etc...

Chris Bacon
01-29-2006, 02:10 PM
well..that looked terrible....

TheRedMunkey
01-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I'll admit that there are probably a ton of things that will probably make this a superficial movie... that if you try and think to much about you'll definetly rip it to shreds...

But it looks like a hella lot fun to me.

I might be a little biased as a martial art/tricking (www.teamfs.com/vidz.htm)/acrobat myself... but boy did I cheer when I saw her (or her stunt double) do that aerial twist off the ledge (at 52 seconds). How cool would it be to be a stuntman in a movie like this and get your @$$ handed to you by Milla?

I really like the saturated pallette too, it seems to fit this movie. Batman Begins on the otherhand should have been a LOT grungier. Can you imagine a Batman movie with a toned down Sin City look? Now that would be awesome... but I'm ranting now... and I'll stop ^.^

dalmanna
01-29-2006, 11:47 PM
My first thought when I saw the trailer in front of Underworld was Zzzzzzz..... I suspect that this reaction is due less to the content of the film and more with the way the trailer was cut. I've seen lots of good films with some REALLY bad trailers. Anybody who's ever seen the original Star Wars trailers knows what I mean. (Actually, just about any trailer pre-1995 reeked of cheese.)

Am I tired of the whole "chicks with guns" thing? Not if its done properly. That's like asking am I sick of gun toting muscleheads or lanky martial artists. Not really. For every Enter the Dragon you've got 20 American Ninja 3's. I've got nothing against female empowerment. Personally, I think that we should thank the likes of Sigourney Weaver & Linda Hamilton. Its about time women started kicking @$$ and broke away from the whole damsel in distress cliche.

surely 'chicks with guns' is a bit cliche too, in fact more so of the current crop of films. every other girls about to blow someone away whilst dancing about on wires. For every Lara i still think we should have a Zelda keeps the balance i guess. (why did i use games as an example? SHUT UP!! thats why.)

dalmanna
01-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Gawd, I have written so many sci-fi scripts in my spare time, I could have flipped them off one to use instead.....yawn.

First off...is it me or did the environments and the whole movie just seem way too clean? Everything in the film looks "brand new". IMO that lends to losing the viewer "me" as I cant buy into the world they are trying to create. Also from the trailer everything was way too bright...How can you get a sense of "evil" or dark intentions from friggin bright lights and brand new spandex pants and metal?

Based off of what I could gather from the story line, this should have been a darker more gritty looking film visually. And will people please stop using music from the Matrix (Napoleon voice) Gosh. If you cant take the time to come up with a unique soundtrack to score your film then why should I believe you went the extra miles any where else? Rehasing the Matrix soundtrack is like trying re-heat Taco Bell the next day....it's just nasty.

But anyway, it would have been better off going direct to DVD or as a premiere on the SCI-FI channel. No innovation, no groundbreaking storytelling, just another SOB (Same Ole Bull!@$$) film.

this is true........ but this film is the fantasy of every 14 year old boy in the universe and i think thats all it wants to be.

dalmanna
01-29-2006, 11:56 PM
agreed! im looking forward to this film, I think Kurt Wimmer did an excellent job with Equilibrium

Lol bar the plot.... yeah i know what your thinking, what plot?... so was I :thumbsup:

EpShot
01-30-2006, 12:09 AM
this is true........ but this film is the fantasy of every 14 year old boy in the universe and i think thats all it wants to be.

trust me, the age far exceeds 14 years of age..

:beer:

Shadow_545
01-30-2006, 12:42 AM
One thing I'd like to comment about the trailer, is that is it just me or does the whole "one person vs. an army" getting old? When I see anyone taking on more then say 30 people, it takes me out of the movie (even if it is sci fi).

Other then that little side rant, the movie looks promising as a different style of scifi.

JDex
01-30-2006, 12:46 AM
One thing I'd like to comment about the trailer, is that is it just me or does the whole "one person vs. an army" getting old? When I see anyone taking on more then say 30 people, it takes me out of the movie (even if it is sci fi).

That is the cliche that never seems to go away. After Commando, I felt so bored with it. Granted, there have been a number of enjoyable and good movies that follow the "one person vs. an army" formula (far more than the chick-witha-gun formula).

AdrianLazar
01-30-2006, 12:57 AM
I just hope that this will have everything that Aeon Flux didn't: lot's of good chicks and lot's of guns, it seems so from the trailer but i also expected that from Aeon and it was a big disapointmen to me :cry:

EpShot
01-30-2006, 12:59 AM
here's the thing i don't undersatnd. And i hear this a lot form my friends who are really into comic books when they complain about comic book movies.

who really cares what the genre or cliche is? if its a bad movie, don't see it. If its a good movie, who cares wha the cliche is? I tell all my friends MORE COMI BOOK MOVIES! because then there will be more good ones. if we have to wade through electra, dare devil and the likes, to get to spider man and bateman begins, then i'm wiling to do it. caus ei jsut wont see the bad movies. but if there wasn't a comic book craze, i might have never seen spider man 2.. and that my friend, would have bee a crime against humanity.

Stahlberg
01-30-2006, 03:30 AM
Movies today just aren't exploitative enough. Back in the 60's it would have looked more like this.

Agent Vesago
01-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Isn't this based off of a comic book?

eek
01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Im amazed know here has mentioned 'dark angel' the 2002- tv series?:

Plot Outline: A group of genetically-enhanced children escape from a lab project. Years later we meet Max, one of the escapees who now works for a messenger service in the post-apocalyptic Pacific Northwest. (more) (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/plotsummary/title/tt0204993/plotsummary)

Tagline: Engineered To Raise Hell. (more) (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/taglines/title/tt0204993/taglines)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204993/

Its great to see hollywood making remakes of tv series that only air 3-4 years ago!The plot is virtually identical even down to there being one left, who has the fight the ...anhh i cant be bothered.

eek

EpShot
01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
and i'm sure you could find books with the same plot that are even older.

the devil's in the details and thats what counts.
sheesh. doe sanyone wait for an actual movie to come out anymore before trying to tear it apart.

ok, i fyou see it and say, yes i saw this other movie 'x' and its just like the movie i just saw 'y' fine. but who cares if they pul the same plot, but have deferent telling or point of view. i mean, pixar's A Bug's Life was a retelling of the 7 samurai.

yes if the movie turns out cliche' and dry fine. and i can even except critisim of the f/x, visual style and even trailer music selection. but i think people are being way too hard on the movie itself. for it being a trailer. and not being released. And it seems to be happening more and more.

monsterboy
01-30-2006, 10:31 AM
yes if the movie turns out cliche' and dry fine. and i can even except critisim of the f/x, visual style and even trailer music selection. but i think people are being way too hard on the movie itself. for it being a trailer. and not being released. And it seems to be happening more and more.

Not really, it's called making an 'educated guess' about what to expect from a movie that features girls with guns and motorbikes riding up skyscrapers. Personally I don't have to see every movie to make an educated guess, for one thing I don't have the time to waste and for another that's what trailers are for!

I watched the trailer a second time and is it me, or does this look like an extended L'Oreal advert? :rolleyes:

EpShot
01-30-2006, 10:35 AM
and what about previous experiance from a director?
last i checked equilibrium was popular, and i certainly enjoyed it.

as for decidign wether on not to see a movie, i'd say thats what reviews are for. and i woudl say that a trailer is mearly to build hype and let you knwo the movie exists.

monsterboy
01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, a director's previous efforts are not a guarantee of continuing quality or success (Guy Ritchie anyone?), plus I'm firmly in the 'Equilibrium is a half-arsed Matrix rip-off' camp.

By assessing a trailer you make your own mind up, by reading a review you let someone else do it for you. :shrug:

lukx
01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Movies today just aren't exploitative enough. Back in the 60's it would have looked more like this.

I noticed same thing that right now in movies there are almoust NO good looking women. Only some kind of model bulimia types =(.

talos72
01-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Chicks in tight leather/rubber suit slinging guns, swinging samurai swords and doing kun fu moves...so played (Matrix, Underworld, Elektra, Blood Rayne, Kill Bill, Sin City, Blade etc.)....been there, done that. The whole kungfu/ martial arts mix with sci-fi is too damn tired. Why does every vampire hunter, superhero and future assassine must be swinging a samurai sword? Leave the martial arts stuff to the martial arts films (which I like).

When I saw Equilibrium I thought Matrix...even Matrix sequels became cliche's of the first film. How many times have we seen the freeze cam in mid action and rotate around the character trick?

What happened to serious science fiction in Hollywood? I mean where are the daring film-makers of Kubrick and Ridley Scott vein where they completely invented new worlds and languages and really explored the genre of science fiction where it wasn't just about cool looking gadgets and action shots. For example, to this day video games and films are still designing environments based on Blade Runner. Blade Runner was a really well done sci-fi film but after a generation maybe it's time to move on and really explore ideas and designs. Now it seems good number of action sci-fi's are cut from the Matrix cloth.

Sorry about the rant.

ArtisticVisions
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Wow, that looks... so not interesting :shrug:

Edit: V For Vendetta will knock it's block off. :D

Edit, Edit: The song that played at the end was kinda cool.

Pentagramma
01-30-2006, 07:46 PM
The trailer looks a little too Matrix-y for my taste... :shrug:

gigatron
01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Im getting bored of ANYTHING with guns.

But i love the effects on the enemy armory guys, like how they spawn like a ball and explode and all that crazy stuff heh

Clanger
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Im amazed know here has mentioned 'dark angel' the 2002- tv series?:

Plot Outline: A group of genetically-enhanced children escape from a lab project. Years later we meet Max, one of the escapees who now works for a messenger service in the post-apocalyptic Pacific Northwest. (more) (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/plotsummary/title/tt0204993/plotsummary)

Tagline: Engineered To Raise Hell. (more) (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/taglines/title/tt0204993/taglines)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204993/

Its great to see hollywood making remakes of tv series that only air 3-4 years ago!The plot is virtually identical even down to there being one left, who has the fight the ...anhh i cant be bothered.

eek

The first thing I thought was 'Dark Angel' which is no bad thing I loved that show.
there wasn't just one left though by the last show there was a ton of them.

frameless
01-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I like the setting and atmosphere, i think i will give it a try :shrug:

camposino
01-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, a director's previous efforts are not a guarantee of continuing quality or success (Guy Ritchie anyone?), plus I'm firmly in the 'Equilibrium is a half-arsed Matrix rip-off' camp.

By assessing a trailer you make your own mind up, by reading a review you let someone else do it for you. :shrug:

That's what I said when I saw The Matrix; I was on the William Gibson/Blade rip off camp. It helps when your name is Camposino.

ExKArt
01-31-2006, 05:38 PM
[I thought I posted but I guess I didn't]

Anyways this movie reminds of KIll Bill meets Resident Evil meets Aeon Flux
will it be good? I don't know, however it looks like it'll be a good action movie to see over the weekend. I'm sure the movie will have it's usual corny lines (?) incredible feats (?) stylized fighting and graphics, good story (?) and so on and so on.

hiphopcr
02-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Heck yeah! Since Aeon Flux bombed out I'm so pumped for this film. I love big dumb action films, I wish I could work on this one!

Youal
02-19-2006, 09:04 PM
The SFX was done by Menfond Electronic Art & Computer Design, an Hong Kong based production company. Here is their official site:

http://www.menfond.com.hk (http://www.menfond.com.hk/)

Here is an article that has some interesting info about Menfond involvement in Ultraviolet.

Digital Hong Kong
January 2006

One area in which the Hong Kong film industry has made a name for itself in the West is in digital effects. Centro Digital Pictures, which worked on "Kung Fu Hustle", the "Kill Bill" saga, and currently "The Secret of the Magic Gourd" is already well-known. Now Menfond Electronic Art, already respected in Asia, is gaining international prominence through its work on foreign productions.
Menfond currently has three films on the boil. There is the German/UK co-production "DOA: Dead or Alive" from HK director Corey Yuen, based on the popular Japanese video game, shot in China and Hong Kong. There is "Fearless", Jet Li's final Kung Fu film from expat director Ronny Yu, (now an Australian citizen), a HK/US co-production shooting in Shanghai. And lastly, there is the US production "Ultraviolet".

Victor Wong, founder and director of Menfond, was appointed by Sony Pictures/Screen Gem as the Visual Effects Supervisor for "Ultraviolet", a role that made him responsible for the creation, production and quality control of the visual effects in the movie.

Menfond is the chief visual effects production house on "Ultraviolet", and has created over 850 visual effects shots for what promises to be another visionary action flick from director Wimmer. These include: full digital futuristic cityscapes: full digital military environments; full digital large-scale sets; digital background replacement and set extensions; digital-mechanical props; 4th dimensional time-space effects; stylistic muzzle flashes; and digital device interface. (Menfond created 450 VFX shots for "Fearless", and 500 for "DOA".)

Wong said, "Menfond is the only visual effects production in Asia so far that has been appointed by a major US movie studio to produce all the visual effects of a domestic US movie. This achievement proved that the quality level of our visual effects production reached the world class standard."

With an increasing number of film productions going digital, (some would say an alarming number), and incorporating CGI into even the most banal scenes, HK's VFX production houses have a chance of stepping into the international limelight in ways not previously possible.

ABOUT MENFOND ELECTRONIC ART.

Menfond was founded in 1990 by brothers Victor and Eddy Wong. It has since been named by 3D World magazine as one of the Top Ten Visual Effects Houses in Asia. The company creates 3D animation and VFX for movies, TV commercials, TV series, games, as well as Internet and mobile applications. In 1991 they produced the first full CGI TV commercial in Hong Kong. In 1997 they entered the Japanese video game market with contract work on the legendary game series "Final Fantasy", and in 2000 produced Asia's first 3D animated character movie. They also worked on "Hero", "House of Flying Daggers", and "New Police Story". In 2003 they were awarded Best Visual Effects for "Twin Effects" at the Hong Kong film awards.

Saul Symonds

http://www.hkfilmart.com/newsread.asp?newsid=1094

Youal
02-19-2006, 10:04 PM
The Digital effects for Ultraviolet was handled by Menfond Electronic Art & Computer Design, an Hong Kong based company. Here is their official site:

http://www.menfond.com.hk

Also here is an interesting article about the production behind Ultraviolet by Menfond.

Digital Hong Kong
January 2006

One area in which the Hong Kong film industry has made a name for itself in the West is in digital effects. Centro Digital Pictures, which worked on "Kung Fu Hustle", the "Kill Bill" saga, and currently "The Secret of the Magic Gourd" is already well-known. Now Menfond Electronic Art, already respected in Asia, is gaining international prominence through its work on foreign productions.

Menfond currently has three films on the boil. There is the German/UK co-production "DOA: Dead or Alive" from HK director Corey Yuen, based on the popular Japanese video game, shot in China and Hong Kong. There is "Fearless", Jet Li's final Kung Fu film from expat director Ronny Yu, (now an Australian citizen), a HK/US co-production shooting in Shanghai. And lastly, there is the US production "Ultraviolet".

Victor Wong, founder and director of Menfond, was appointed by Sony Pictures/Screen Gem as the Visual Effects Supervisor for "Ultraviolet", a role that made him responsible for the creation, production and quality control of the visual effects in the movie.

Menfond is the chief visual effects production house on "Ultraviolet", and has created over 850 visual effects shots for what promises to be another visionary action flick from director Wimmer. These include: full digital futuristic cityscapes: full digital military environments; full digital large-scale sets; digital background replacement and set extensions; digital-mechanical props; 4th dimensional time-space effects; stylistic muzzle flashes; and digital device interface. (Menfond created 450 VFX shots for "Fearless", and 500 for "DOA".)

Wong said, "Menfond is the only visual effects production in Asia so far that has been appointed by a major US movie studio to produce all the visual effects of a domestic US movie. This achievement proved that the quality level of our visual effects production reached the world class standard."

With an increasing number of film productions going digital, (some would say an alarming number), and incorporating CGI into even the most banal scenes, HK's VFX production houses have a chance of stepping into the international limelight in ways not previously possible.

ABOUT MENFOND ELECTRONIC ART.

Menfond was founded in 1990 by brothers Victor and Eddy Wong. It has since been named by 3D World magazine as one of the Top Ten Visual Effects Houses in Asia. The company creates 3D animation and VFX for movies, TV commercials, TV series, games, as well as Internet and mobile applications. In 1991 they produced the first full CGI TV commercial in Hong Kong. In 1997 they entered the Japanese video game market with contract work on the legendary game series "Final Fantasy", and in 2000 produced Asia's first 3D animated character movie. They also worked on "Hero", "House of Flying Daggers", and "New Police Story". In 2003 they were awarded Best Visual Effects for "Twin Effects" at the Hong Kong film awards.

Saul Symonds

source: http://www.hkfilmart.com/newsread.asp?newsid=1094

whalerider
02-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Did you mean 'chicks with swords'?
Yes, I am getting bored.

Btw, how come the swords of the soldiers are getting broken like pretzels by her sword?

The Ultraviolet trailer was released today on Apple.com:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/ultraviolet/

Bonedaddy
02-22-2006, 05:41 AM
Menfond didn't do ALL the effects in the movie. They did the lions' share, this is true, and this is in no way supposed to take away from their mammoth accomplishment, but an American studio, CIS Hollywood, worked on around 30 shots. These include a full virtual city shot (the opening shot to the movie, so far as I know) and the first part of the antigrav motorcycle chase.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 05:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.