PDA

View Full Version : Is there a wireless router for xp64?

SheepFactory
01-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi guys ,

I am looking to get a wireless network router to share my cable with the roommates , but i couldnt find one that has firmware support for xp64. Do you guys know of a brand that supports xp64 by any chance?

Thanks in advance ,
Ali

lots
01-26-2006, 06:17 PM
What do you mean supports XP64? If you've got a wireless network card in your system that has a driver already installed, you shouldnt need any sort of specific support from the router...

SheepFactory
01-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I am talking about the firmware driver for the router , do you not need to set that up?

Never set up a wireless network before so have no idea.

MattClary
01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
It's not an issue, Sheep.

Srek
01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Most Router firmwares are updated via their own webserver, no need for a special driver or setup program on your workstation, you only need a browser.

Cheers
Björn

lots
01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
The firmware is the software that controls the hardware. It is stored and run from the router itself. Most routers use a webpage based tool to upload new firmware into the unit. Most of the time, though, you dont really need to mess with the firmware at all. Simply plugging the router in and running the required setup is all you need to do (much like a wired router)

JDex
01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah... you won't need to mess with the firmware, unless the manufacturer messes something up... and not just with your router, but a whole batch of them. It's very likely that you'll have to mess with it.

If W64 can communicate with your wifi card in the desktop, then you should have no problems using wifi... regardless of router used.

lots
01-26-2006, 08:40 PM
In most cases you have to use a wired connection to update the firmware anyway...

SheepFactory
01-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am going to be connecting my comp with a cable and give wireless to the roommates.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 09:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.