PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! Ik spline problem!

althea
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm animating a man holding a nozzle, which is connected to his backpack by a flexible tube. I have a spline in the tube, which is parented to the man's hand. The problem is that I cannot find a way to attach the other end of the tube to the backpack, so am attempting to animate it by hand, which is both time consuming and not very successful!

The backpack contains no bones - its just an object skinned to the man model.

You'd think there'd be a way to fix the other end of the tube, but I haven't managed to find one yet!
Any ideas? Please?

seven6ty
01-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Couldn't you just cluster the CV at the end and constrain/parent it, to anchor it?

althea
01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
We did try that yesterday - made the final cv a cluster, added a locator to the backpack which was parented to the spine, then added a point constraint to the cluster, so it would follow the locator.Didn't work! I'm not sure if I did it right though?

Any more ideas very gratefully received. :>)

AlphaJoe
01-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm animating a man holding a nozzle, which is connected to his backpack by a flexible tube. I have a spline in the tube, which is parented to the man's hand. The problem is that I cannot find a way to attach the other end of the tube to the backpack, so am attempting to animate it by hand, which is both time consuming and not very successful!

The backpack contains no bones - its just an object skinned to the man model.

You'd think there'd be a way to fix the other end of the tube, but I haven't managed to find one yet!
Any ideas? Please?

Put a cluster on the last CV of the spline of the hose and a cluster a vert on the backpack where you want the hose to attach, then make the cluster on the hose a child of the cluster on the backpack. That should do it for you.

althea
01-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm a bit unclear though - what exactly do I make into a cluster on the backpack? I've tried selecting the backpack and creating a cluster, then parenting the final spline cv to it, but it hasn't worked at all.

I've also tried selecting a vert, making that into a cluster, parenting the spline cv cluster to it, with no more success.
It sounds like such a neat solution, but it just isn't working!

I appreciate your help, and if you have any more ideas or clarifications to offer, I truly would be very grateful. :>)

isoparmB
01-27-2006, 03:27 PM
You can try this:

You can basically use a blendshape opertaion with World local setting to pin part of your model to another location:

1. While your character is in the default pose, duplicate your tube and skin the duplicate to your character. Adjust the skin weight of the duplicate cv's to match the backpack's where the two objects meet (don't worry about the rest of the duplicate's cv's skin weighting, You only need it to be weighted in such a way that the end dosen't slide relative to the backpack during animation: You'll be hiding the duplicate later anyway.).

2. Select the duplicate tube, then shift select the original and go to deform-blendshape-option box. Set the origin setting to World and click apply. Afterwards, turn on your newly created blendshape's attribute. Then hide the duplicate.

3. Next you will edit the membership of the blendshape node so that it only affects the end point of your tube. Select the blendshape node by clicking it in the channel box of your original tube object, then go to deform-edit membership. The influenced cv's should then be highlighted. Deselct all cvs by ctrl-dragging them, except the meeting point between your backpack and tube.

You should have a setup wherein your tube end is pinned to your backpack while the rest of it is following your previous setup. This is a technique whereby you can use blendshapes to actually pin parts of a rigged object.

maverickkk
01-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi,

i'm attaching this file, just try this. all i have done is just written a small expression between the curveInfo node and the joint. Let me know if this helps.

althea
01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
:thumbsup: That is completely brilliant - you're clearly some kind of genius, Mavarickkk!

All we need to do now is work out how you got there....
Any chance you could give us a quick breakdown of your methodology? Just the order you did stuff to get such a good result, would be useful, so I can apply it to my man with backpack.

Many thanks!

althea
02-01-2006, 11:34 AM
:) The resident guru here in Liverpool has worked out how you did it, Mavarickk, so no need to list your methodology for me after all, thanks. It was the create curve info node that slowed him down, but he's got it sorted now.

So, once again, many thanks - this tip will come in very handy on the game we're working on. And will certainly make my life easier with my backpack guy!!
Cheers,
Althea

Sheperoo
02-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Hello, great solution dude

the only difference i'm finding is when i parent the clusters to their respective control shapes i'm getting a group transform inserting itself to provide translation info

it still works fine it just looks kinda messy- this might be a stooopid question but is there a way at the clusters creation to make it adopt its inherent translation info to avoid the need for the auto generation of these transform group nodes?

u rokk by the way!

maverickkk
02-02-2006, 05:11 AM
hi althea,

i was just about to post the methodology. great to know that it is solved.

hi sheperoo,

i figured that when you drag and drop the cluster from the outliner it doesn't create the group. but whereas you use the group option from the window it creates that. dont really know why that happens.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2006, 05:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.