PDA

View Full Version : say bye bye to Toy Story 3, at least for now.

punnw01
01-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Disney Circle Seven will not be doing Toy Story 3 or any Pixar sequels....

I hope all you haters out there are happy.

SheepFactory
01-26-2006, 01:17 AM
I think you forgot the link to whichever article this is from? is it official or a rumor?

seven6ty
01-26-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a rumor. I know someone who went on to work on Toy Story, back in December I believe, so I'm pretty sure it's already into production and that Lasseter and crew will have some creative input with it.

steveblake
01-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Shame, I know a couple of people who are/were due to go over..

Brettzies
01-26-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a rumor. I know someone who went on to work on Toy Story, back in December I believe, so I'm pretty sure it's already into production and that Lasseter and crew will have some creative input with it....and Disney buying Pixar was a rumor too just a few months/weeks/days ago. Sounds more like we're hearing it form the source or someone who heard it from the source anyway. Not all news travels via official press release which I suppose makes it a rumor to some eyes. But rumors have a way of bearing some truth.

This is January. In December Lasseter and Jobs weren't running Disney Animation. I wouldn't discount it.

punnw01
01-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Moving it here until official word is out.

well i heard from these two fellas.. what were their names?? oh yeah, John Lasseter and Ed Catmull. believe it or not, i don't give a terd. but i just hope all you fanboys, haters, etc etc etc are so happy.

Shaderhacker
01-26-2006, 05:33 AM
well i heard from these two fellas.. what were their names?? oh yeah, John Lasseter and Ed Catmull. believe it or not, i don't give a terd. but i just hope all you fanboys, haters, etc etc etc are so happy.

You sound bitter. Did you have an "interest" in Toy 3?

-M

ndat
01-26-2006, 05:46 AM

Why would we be happy? Toy Story pretty much started it all so to speak. I can't think of a person here that would acctually be happy that they weren't going to make another one.

Shaderhacker
01-26-2006, 05:54 AM
Why would we be happy? Toy Story pretty much started it all so to speak. I can't think of a person here that would acctually be happy that they weren't going to make another one.

I think the consensus was that Toy Story 3 (if done) should be done at Pixar and not Disney. I believe that this is what the above poster meant. However, the reprecussions of such a thing means some people who signed up for it at Disney may not have a job anymore. :sad:

-M

punnw01
01-26-2006, 05:54 AM
I can't think of a person here that would acctually be hapy that they weren't going to make another one.

are you kidding? are you new here? have you read any of these posts of people crapping on the idea before they even know ANYTHING about it? all I've heard ever since this topic about TS3 popped up is that it's gonna be ruined, etc, etc, etc, crap, crap, crap. they have no idea who's involved or what's going on. they probably don't even work in the industry and they post on these forums from their mama's basement. but guess what, their wish has finally come true. so enjoy.

Peddy
01-26-2006, 06:04 AM
words

a basement? dang if only i had a basement when i was living at home, then id get some privacy. but alas i must post from home when my opinions arent judged.

of course people are going to take a guess at what the movie will be like. its called hype, and it means that more people will see the movie (usually).

i think people arent concerned that disney makes it, or that animators what work for a conglomerate make the movie, just that whoever makes the movie does a good job and doesnt sully the work already done by pixar.

swardson
01-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by punnw01

hehe, you sound like you are saying that the whole Disney/Pixar deal was entirely produced by the pixar fanboys on CGtalk.

first, the general discussions forum...
then, the pixar rocks forum...
then, the world. (aka planet Pixar).

its a conspiracy im telling yah :argh: ;)

</my pointless post> :)

-Brad

Kion
01-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Its official I heard it from a friend that works at circle 7 Toy Story 3 is cancelled, also posted on www.animationnation.com (http://www.animation)
http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011040

"As the subject line read, John Lasseter and Ed Catmill announced to Feature Animation employees today that the "Toy Story 3" production will end effectively today. They said that sequels should only be made if there is a really great story that demands it, and should be the domain of those who created the original film."

"They said they were interested in the talent assembled for Circle 7, and would try to accomodate that talent--they were sort of vague. But they said they held no prejudice at all towards those who were at Circle 7, and wanted to find a way to use their talents"

SheepFactory
01-26-2006, 06:57 AM
So whats gonna happen to the circle 7 crew? Hope they move them to the other projects.

DezFX
01-26-2006, 07:18 AM
As it stands right now, we do not know. Yes, today we were told that "Toy Story 3" would not be made at the Circle 7 facility. If it is ever made, it will be done by Pixar up in Emeryville, CA. We hope to hear something about the state of our jobs sometime within the next few days/weeks. As it stands right now, the only productions that will continue as planned are the ones at Feature Animation which are "Meet The Robinsons" and "American Dog". The talent at Circle7 will be evaluated and decisions of where to go from there will be based on the good of the company.

This news was delivered directly to us by Bob Iger, Dick Cook, Ed Catmull, and John Lasseter in a company meeting on the lot today.

agreenster
01-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Poor folks, I feel for ya. TS3 has been cursed since day one. Maybe it just isn't meant to be...

malcolmTG
01-26-2006, 08:12 AM
yea, i know a guy that works over there and it sounds like everything is up in the air for them right now. i knew that lasseter would stop production on it, but i figured there would be atleast something else in the works for those guys. i hope it works out and they find places within the new "dixar".

HitParader
01-26-2006, 08:13 AM
As it stands right now, we do not know.

Any news on the future of the Rapunzel project that you can share?

KolbyJukes
01-26-2006, 08:22 AM
was just reading this page on Jim Hill Media.com

he says:
I mean, John's about to become the new ubermeister of animation at Disney. Meaning that he'll be riding herd of what gets produced at Pixar Animation Studios, Walt Disney Feature Animation, DisneyToon Studios and Circle 7 Studios (Yep. That's right. Contrary to popular belief, Circle 7 is not going away. Look for this tiny little studio to become a key component of the whole Disney/Pixar business plan).

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1821

Is this the case? or is it to early to say? I don't know if Jim Hill is really a credible source. I hope everything works out for you guys, tough situation.

-K.

Slurry
01-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Yikes!
I hope it works out for the artists at Circle 7. Maybe they'll find new projects for you to work on.
I can imagine what's going through your heads right now and it can't be pleasant.
Good luck.

Art

Kion
01-26-2006, 09:08 AM
What I would like to see is wdfa and pixar each make a feature a year. Circle 7 handles direct to video. Maybe a Cg mickey direct to video movie type thing(i wish disney did more with the classic characters) , instead of farming that animation out like they did with twice apon a christmas. Then if were really lucky they will reopen disney feature in florida and that can be the 2d studio, maybe a 2d feature every two years alternating with the 3d realeases. Anyways I'm sure it will work out for the folks at circle 7, they said that toy story was cancelled but they didn't say circle 7 is closing.

halo
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
They said that sequels should only be made if there is a really great story that demands it

surely that goes to back up the arguement that it wasnt going to be as good as the previous ones...

perhaps disney might need to get used to how pixar make films, rather than what they were comfortable with.

Trenox
01-26-2006, 12:39 PM
I think that this is an extremely healthy and important step for the new Disney/Pixar coalition. It shows that Pixar are there to bring originality and creativity to the table instead of just churning out old ideas/brands. It also shows that Lasseter and Catmull have some real power now since they can make these kinds of decisions. I hope the good people that were working on toystory3 will find other and more exciting projects to work on.

My pessimism for the whole Disney/pixar situation is slowly fading away. (also with the news of maybe bringing 2d back at Disney!)

Nemoid
01-26-2006, 12:44 PM

Now that the situation is changed , with Disney aquisition of Pixar, maybe Lasseter will make another one?

However, i hope they will do new amazing products and mantain Pixar's own style and approach.

Breinmeester
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I think that this is an extremely healthy and important step for the new Disney/Pixar coalition. It shows that Pixar are there to bring originality and creativity to the table instead of just churning out old ideas/brands. It also shows that Lasseter and Catmull have some real power now since they can make these kinds of decisions. I hope the good people that were working on toystory3 will find other and more exciting projects to work on.

QFA

I didn't like the idea of Disney doing a Toy Story sequel, but I don't understand this aggressive term 'haters'. It's just an interest in seeing the quality kept in animation. That's best for the industry. I'm glad Disney is now run by Iger, who seems to agree at that point and reeled in the magic of Pixar to get Disney back on top.

I'm glad TS goes back to the people who worked on the initial installment. That said, I wish everybody at Circle 7 the best of luck these days. As Iger, Jobs, Catmull and Lasseter stated they wish to keep a culture that atrracts the best of talent, so I'm sure they won't let employees go just because the project they worked on is cancelled. Let's hope for the best.

mummey
01-26-2006, 02:14 PM
are you kidding? are you new here? have you read any of these posts of people crapping on the idea before they even know ANYTHING about it?

Well, even if their topics were annoying, _they_ at least had the decency to put the topic in the right forum.

all I've heard ever since this topic about TS3 popped up is that it's gonna be ruined, etc, etc, etc, crap, crap, crap. they have no idea who's involved or what's going on.

You let yourself get bothered way too easily and only pay attention to the negative. If you look back at those threads about TS3, you'll notice me and several other members (including many of the forum leaders) wish the Circle 7 members the best since they are doing work for the industry and TS3 does show promise.

they probably don't even work in the industry and they post on these forums from their mama's basement. but guess what, their wish has finally come true. so enjoy.

Their wish _did_ come true. Now they have a short-sighted troll to direct all their wrath at. Next time, "Think before you Post!" :D

Wilson-3d
01-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I just want to say I hope the new Disney can use everyone at c7. People have been bashing them since day one. It is a great talent pool! It is easy to just spout out words and forget these are people with families and careers.

Michael5188
01-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Things are happening so quickly now. Give it a month, or less, and I'm sure everything is going to smooth over well for those at C7 and everyone else at disney. I'm glad they didn't continue working on a movie they didn't feel was worthwhile.

punnw01
01-26-2006, 04:20 PM
What I would like to see is wdfa and pixar each make a feature a year. Circle 7 handles direct to video. Maybe a Cg mickey direct to video movie type thing(i wish disney did more with the classic characters)

this actually came up and it was one of the few bright spots of the gloomy day. we talked about how cool it would be to make little 3d shorts with characters such as Goofy or Donald utilizing the our new top dog talents from pixar.

maybe all my earlier posts were a bit harsh. but i meant everything i said, maybe i should not have said it, i was a bit tipsy. but oh well, i'm sure things will turn out all good.

mummey
01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
this actually came up and it was one of the few bright spots of the gloomy day. we talked about how cool it would be to make little 3d shorts with characters such as Goofy or Donald utilizing the our new top dog talents from pixar.

maybe all my earlier posts were a bit harsh. but i meant everything i said, maybe i should not have said it, i was a bit tipsy. but oh well, i'm sure things will turn out all good.

No problem, it happens to each of us, especially pompous fools such as myself. :D

lmancg
01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
This is all part of the transitional stage. Give it time and hopefully things will cool down. I for one felt a little uneasy about TS3 since it wasn't being done by Pixar (and I am not hating with this statement). I'm optimistic that the talent at Circle 7 will be major players at Disney in some way shape or form.

mangolass
01-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Imagine people down at Circle 7 going ahead through all those sequels, re-rigging Woody in Maya, re-creating the ocean from Finding Nemo, re-doing the facial rig on Mr.Incredible, re-inventing Violet's long hair ~ when it was all set-up already in Pixar's software?

If Mr. Lasseter didn't like the TS3 story ~ JHM said he didn't like it ~ then I can see it being put on hold. But, when the sequels happen, why wouldn't they use the characters and scenes they've already got, instead of having one part of the company reverse-engineering the work of another part of the company?

LT

slaughters
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
... all I've heard ever since this topic about TS3 popped up is that it's gonna be ruined, etc, etc, etc, crap, crap, crap. they have no idea who's involved or what's going on. ...I thought Toy Story 3 was going to be a direct to video release anyway. I never expect a lot from direct to video releases. Since I don't have little kids I probably would have never seen it.

mangolass
01-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I thought Toy Story 3 was going to be a direct to video release anyway. I never expect a lot from direct to video releases.

Toy Story 2 was originally going to be DTV ~ but it turned out to be a hit in theaters. A really good TS3 could do even better on the big screen ~ maybe even "Toy Story 3D" with the 3D glasses and IMAX screen and everything. :)

Now there are rumours about whether they are shutting down all the direct to video stuff anyway, just because John Lasseter didn't like it:
Word has it that John Lasseter will be putting an end to Disney Toon studios. Yes folks, you heard right. No more DTV sequels. John wants to concentrate on new properties and if something really deserves a sequel, it will get the attention of a feature crew. This shouldnít be all that surprising. However, it has ruffled more than a few feathers in upper management that Lasseter is cutting the throats of this profitable division. Not everyone is praising Pixar over at the mouse. The thought is, if Johnís plans do not prove successful in the next few years, there could be quite a backlash from the board and shareholders. Not even mentioning the hundreds of people that will now be jobless between the Circle 7 and Disney Toon cuts.

The current Disney features will be allowed to continue. By current features, I mean Wilbur Robinson and American Dog (Rapunzel is a project in limbo and there isnít a definite yes or no on it). They will be the last of the movies put in motion by David Stainton. Whatís next for WDFA? John has several ideas he has wanted to make animated features out of, but just has not had the resources within Pixar to do all of them. Disney will be ramping up on those projects. All Lasseter, all the time. ~source: http://www.cgchar-animation.com/forum/index.php/topic,5335.0.html

DorkmanScott
01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
GO JOHN!

The news of the Pixar acquisition is sounding better and better.

Capel
01-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Wow, well any doubts i had about Lasseters amount of creative power at Disney are now gone. the guy seems to be cleaning house. let's just hope it all works out financially.

malcolmTG
01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
i really hope they do get rid of the DTV becuase they are what made me loss respect for disney in the first place, because they would make a great movie (like lilo and stitch) and then destroy its name with over commercialization and poorly done sequels that led to a series that destroyed the style of the original piece. they wouldnt have bothered me if they were given the same time and effort as the originals, but as more and more came out it was quite clear that they were just trying to make money on a name.

beaker
01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Imagine people down at Circle 7 going ahead through all those sequels, re-rigging Woody in Maya, re-creating the ocean from Finding Nemo, re-doing the facial rig on Mr.Incredible, re-inventing Violet's long hair ~ when it was all set-up already in Pixar's software?That's not really a big deal because they usually remodel and rerig all the character to keep them looking fresh and updated with new technology and pipeline that changes over the years. Read the Cinefex on TS2, they redid 95% of the stuff from TS1.

PhilOsirus
01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I think it is only logical that it would not be made if Pixar returned to Disney. It's too bad for the people involved in the project, but at the same time in the end it might be for the greater good of the industry, because it brings a halt to the mentality Disney had with 2D animation (which in my opinion ruined it with direct-to-video sequels and the likes). It would be nice to see something new. You don't want to end up with a flop because people have grown tired of Toy Story and then see the whole industry lose investments and confidence.

Then again sequels are not a bad thing, it brings people back, but I would go for a Monsters Inc. 2 before another Toy Story.

Digit
01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
I saw the billboard for Bambi 2 the other day. Wow, the world has been crying out for that film!

My own conspiracy theory is that Toy Story 3 never was in development, that it was a ruse to scare Pixar into signing a new deal (which obviously turned into something else in the end) :)

Shaderhacker
01-26-2006, 09:51 PM
It's officially confirmed:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011045

-M

Shaderhacker
01-27-2006, 12:27 AM
"By Gina Keating

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co. will scrap production of the latest "Toy Story" sequel and hand the project over to Pixar Animation Studios Inc. as part of its deal to acquire Pixar, sources familiar with the situation said on Thursday....."

http://tinyurl.com/czvs2

-M

Synkronizer
01-27-2006, 01:14 AM
*crap, wrong thread!!*

BillB
01-27-2006, 01:35 AM
"By Gina Keating

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co. will scrap production of the latest "Toy Story" sequel and hand the project over to Pixar Animation Studios Inc. as part of its deal to acquire Pixar, sources familiar with the situation said on Thursday....."
-M Are they misinterpreting the handing back of the rights to make TS3 to Pixar, with actually making it?

Digit
01-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Thats how i understood it. I imagine it will be rewritten and presumably the release will be quite a few years away. I think this is a very good thing though.

coldfuse[ofX]
01-27-2006, 02:04 AM
Woah what can i say other then, it seems alot has been happening over these past few weeks.

Crazy from auto desk taking over alias and now disney with pixar.

I maybe a new guy to actually trying to work within cg, but ive been following this stuff for years and man, its all just crazy.

Can i say i feel deeply sorry for any artist who is laid off work! So for all you C7 guys i really hope John looks after you, even if hes being a hard nut! (Im sure they will)

but i can see what hes doing, and in away i agree with it. Though the person who started the thread was very angry with everyone who didnt want a TS3, were you at all involved with the production?

I have to say though if he feels that it wasnt going to be that good, then thats saved my life from going to see a crap film, there resources on saving money making a crap film and everyones elses heart who wasnt into it!

But its been a really weird end 2005- start 2006!

malcolmTG
01-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Thats how i understood it. I imagine it will be rewritten and presumably the release will be quite a few years away. I think this is a very good thing though.

but that wouldnt really make sense. because i thought the whole reason circle 7 was doing toy story 3 was because pixar didnt want to make it and disney had the right to go around them. if they wanted to make this from the beginning im pretty sure they could have. i think they just want to make sure that no one makes it besides them, but that doesnt really mean that they want to make.

Digit
01-27-2006, 05:04 AM
but that wouldnt really make sense. because i thought the whole reason circle 7 was doing toy story 3 was because pixar didnt want to make it and disney had the right to go around them. if they wanted to make this from the beginning im pretty sure they could have. i think they just want to make sure that no one makes it besides them, but that doesnt really mean that they want to make.

I dont think it was because they didnt want to do it, just that they were taking their time and making stuff like The Incredibles first. Like you say, Disney had the right to go and make the sequel anyway if they wanted to.

I vaguely remember Lasseter saying once that Pixar had already had an outline for Toy Story 3 ... but then maybe I dreamt that last bit :)

Malcolm, I bet you $20 Pixar release Toy Story 3 by Christmas 2010!
edit: thats kind of a no-brainer now!

MacDuff
01-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Pixar had plans for a Toy Story 3 being the last one and had a way they wanted to end the series that was very specific. Since Disney had no reason to conform to that before this new deal, they decided to plan out 2 sequels to Toy Story, one of them being Buzz being recalled to his factory in Asia and the toys going to rescue him. There's no room for anything meaningful in that story. It's just the continuing adventures of Woody and friends. Toy Story 1 was a solid, beautiful, and important story. Toy Story 2 was just as important, bringing up key issues facing toys and how they grow to face them and make the right choices, and the characters they introduced were very relevant and contributed to the story as a whole. Disney wasn't going to do anything meaningful with a "rescue Buzz" storyline. Not to mention the fact that there's little to no integrity to be found in a sequel made by people who have no connection to the original vision. Disney's Toy Story 3 was a disaster from the beginning. There was never an issue of us "not giving it a chance". It was a beautiful story and great characters that were being hijacked by executives whose heart was in the wrong place. "We are very interested in turning animation back into the enormous profit center that it used to be."-Michael Eisner

I've got nothing against the animators. Disney is full of fantastic animators. Movies like brother bear had fantastic character animation and looked beautiful, but the execution is just off. It doesn't have that dedication to story and character that is evident in Pixar. I think with Lasseter's leadership, the folks at Disney feature animation will be able to work on something magical again. I'm really excited to see Rapunzel revived. Lasseter and Glen Keane back together is something to get very excited about.

Overall, I think everyone needs to chill out and trust in the new leadership to put Disney back on the right track.

mlmiller1983
01-27-2006, 06:26 AM
This is great news! When I heard Disney was going to make a Toy Story 3, without Pixar, my deepest darkest fears began to manifest themselves, crappy disney sequels to all of Pixar's gems. Now this news have put those fears to rest. Pixar set Disney straight,"nobody going to make sequels to our movies but us."

mlmiller1983
01-27-2006, 06:28 AM
Overall, I think everyone needs to chill out and trust in the new leadership to put Disney back on the right track.

They have my utmost trust! :bowdown:

creativer
01-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Congrats to Lasseter! I say gut the place! Find and fire the bums at the top who have driven Disney to the gound! Keep all the passionate artists and those who love the craft. Clean out the crappers! There are always crappers in high places look there first Lassey look there! Go boy go! Woof woof rrrr...

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.