PDA

View Full Version : Lighting demoreel

Marc-OlivierBouchard
01-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Here's my lighting demo reel. It is just a simple slideshow, 5mb.
Comments very welcomed.
Some stills, screenshot from games I worked on and stills from a short movie I made.
Done in Maya and Max
http://media.putfile.com/MO-Bouchard-Reel (http://media.putfile.com/MO-Bouchard-Reel)

itsallgoode9
01-26-2006, 06:22 AM
well...hmmmmm.....I'm not sure. Your SSX looks proffesional and really nice, obviously, but everything else on the real pales in comparison. No offense, but the stuff that isn't from SSX looks like it was done by somebody still learning a 3d program. Kinda confused by the drastic difference in quality.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
01-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the honesty.
So more games screenshot less student reel stuff...makes sense.
Any specific crits on the lighting? I know the modeling and texturing are rather basic.

kevin heller
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
hi l think the very first shot of the room in the beginning of the reel is pretty good. use photos to copy lighting and surfacing exactly. like for youre headphone shot , go to morguefile.com .theres a million photos like that . put a photo next to youre render and copy the darks exactly the same and the brights and the color and the grain bump etc etc. look at small parts of the pic and compare to youre render.example look at the material on the ear part of the head phones in a photo and have youre render right next to it and only look at the head phones in youre render . looking back and forth to check everything and try to get it exactly the same.then move on to the next little section like the cable, then the table ,etc etc. use area lights and use fast fall offs from different angles so you can see the suddle textures on youre surface and to make the brighter parts of youre objects fall off gradually to dark. if you arent really familliar with faking radiosity then use real radiosity. also a good way to get better is to render it with radiosity and then copy with out radiosity. just like i was talking about using photos in the begining of my post. and really importantly get finished scenes that are lit and textured from people on the net. that is a really good way to break the lighting and surfaing apart. like evermotion.org has tons of free scenes that are really nice looking. very photo real that people donate daily for you to take apart and study. its mainly vray. but there are some other scens as well. and if you use vray ,get archinteriors. the most beatuiful lighting scenes youll ever have access to break apart and study unless you are working for some company with great lighters that you can take and learn from their scenes. which if you did video games i doubt the scens would be the best to study lighting from.

lazzhar
01-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I cannot watch, any other link?

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 01:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.