PDA

View Full Version : Silo in EIAS With GI

barnabythebear
01-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Hiya,

Has anyone any idea what's happening here? It's an export from Silo, straight into EIAS. Renders fine with no GI, with GI it goes a little wierd. As an .obj from Silo, it works fine with GI. If i try and run the Silo .fac through Transporter I get no preview, just a black view?? I've just switched over to a PC, I don't know if this has any bearing?

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/Head_Fac%20.jpg

Thanks,

nige.

3DArtZ
01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
did you check to make sure all your normals point outwards?

Giacomo_M
01-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Regarding the "black" view in Transporter: the model's there, it's just black because it's flipped. When you're in Transporter and ready to save, click on "Reverse Normals" (upper right corner of interface window) if there's no preview. It should show a more-or-less-correctly shaded preview--if a couple polys still look flipped, they render correctly in EIAS anyway. It'll render properly even if you don't flip it--EIAS seems to guess (usually correctly) the correct normals on any model it brings in.

If you do flip it in Transporter, though, you also avoid having to turn off "Cull Backfaces" to get a correct OpenGL preview in Animator.

GM

Reuben5150
01-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi Nige, well i've seen this before many times (also happens with occlusion) and not just models from Silo, but i just did a quick test and its working fine here.. thought it was, although i am running the EI beta.. your not using Encage with this model ?

I have a model that was created in LW, it used to do the same thing with occ and GI, i tested it again recently and was pleased to find it renders fine now.

triangulation will fix it i think, you shouldn't really have do this but there you go...

Reuben

kevmo
01-25-2006, 11:55 PM
From Silo after Refine Control Mesh;
(Menu) Modify/Tesselate to Triangulate.

Dova
01-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi!

You should check that the polys are sharing vertices, otherwise, that effect will shown inmediatly. I would say that this is what is happening to your model: Unshared vertices.

If I remember correctly, Transporter has an option to weld vertices.

barnabythebear
01-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys,

A few suggestions to try! I didn't know you could triangulate polys in Silo, nice one!

ta

nige.

Reuben5150
01-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Yes, modify menu - tesselate, i was thinking more of dicer or encage, but i don't understand why this is still happening, what version of Silo are you using ?

I reported this problem to the Silo team way back, they must have fixed it at some point, or something in EI.. anyway back to work...

Reuben

kevmo
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Let us know how you make out, I've gotten strange shading in testing Silo/Fact models also, but not as extreme as yours show.

I'd be interested...

k!

Giacomo_M
01-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but: I can say from personal experience that the problem occurs with models imported from Form Z and Lightwave Modeler too.

It has nothing to do with Silo and everything to do with the fact that the modeler (whichever one it is)and EIAS are separate entities that don't always communicate perfectly. There is no blanket solution. Sometimes the problem can be fixed in Transporter; sometimes it needs to be fixed at the modeling end (i.e, by triangulating polys, changing export paramenters, or whatever.)

GM

MagicEgger
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Ola,

I used Amorphium a lot fix this kind of prb.. just Import in Amorphium and Export.
Voila

Fixed

Thankssss

Tomas

barnabythebear
01-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the replys! Trippling the mesh did sort out this problem :)

nige.

harryb
01-26-2006, 09:23 PM
I've had trouble with the FAC files from Silo too. The FACs are created based on what your sub-d settings are in Silo, so you need to make sure the sub-d level you're looking at in Silo is what you want to save as the FAC. Also, if you're instance mirroring something, you need to reverse the normals after you deinstanciate the mirror. That threw me for a loop the first time I saw that.

If you're creating a low poly model with hard surfaces (like a house or just a box) in Silo, you need to break the faces (separate all them) and merge them. Then subdivide once and unsubdivide ("c" and "v") before saving as a FAC. This prevents Silo and EI from trying to smooth the edges and makes for a much more predictable render.

Hope this helps!

Reuben5150
01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Also, if you're instance mirroring something, you need to reverse the normals after you deinstanciate the mirror. That threw me for a loop the first time I saw that.

Hope this helps!

Or a much quicker way is to delete the instance mirror then simply "mirror" the object, watch out for flying vert's though :D

Reuben

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.