PDA

View Full Version : training DVDs?

andrewjohn81
01-25-2006, 09:00 PM
I see the training DVD's on adobe's site.

First off, does anyone know if they are good?

Also, are there other ones that ARE good? I'm hoping to find something good like the gnomon dvd's. Unfortunatley they don't seem to have any for AE right now. Just shake and nuke...a bit too expensive for our little 3 person team.

marcorabellini
01-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Anyone know if AE 7 runs under XP64 as a 64-bit app?

m

Jaycee77
01-26-2006, 02:44 AM

m

Dude, don't hijack his thread, this question should be it's own thread entirely.

To answer the question at hand, you might want to check out this site:

http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=15&cat=26&page=1

The DVD's are pretty good as I have purchased a few for Flash, these are probably no where near the quality of Gnomon or anything like that, but if you are on a budget it may be worth at least exploring. As for the DVD's directly from Adobe I have never used them, but I would suppose they would be good coming directly from the vendor. Hope that helps.

Mylenium
01-26-2006, 06:30 AM

m

Nope.

Mylenium

halfworld
01-26-2006, 08:03 AM
I would recommend this indi tutor:

http://www.jayse.us/photo/

nice guy, nice tutes. Helped me a lot when I was getting started in 5! He has updated the videos since then for the last couple of versions, not sure about 7 though what with it being so new.

Cheers,
Ian

JohnnyRandom
01-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Tuts also here:

Pretty concise, $30 a month, $250 a year, or $99 for them on disc. Subcsription allows access to all applications and training materials. Pretty good deal IMO.

http://www.vtc.com/products/ae65adv.htm

marcorabellini
01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Dude, don't hijack his thread

Sorry. Thought I was in another thread when I wrote this.

m

adrianh
01-28-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned Total Training DVD set for AE. Pretty pricey but worth every penny. I've been steadily going through them for the past few weeks.www.totaltraining.com (http://www.totaltraining.com)

andrewjohn81
01-30-2006, 06:58 PM
the total training DVD's are the adobe certified/recommended DVD's.
Pricey yes, but i wanted to get some feedback on them.

The vtc ones look ok, but I don't really like the layout all that much. Is there really advanced stuff available? I only watched a really basic one, so it's hard to guage if it's worth it. Since only one of us would watch at a time the vtc option might be the best because we don't Really want to ship dvd's back and forth with the rest of our department in Italy unless it's ncecessary. So, accessing it on the internet is probably the best. Of course, if they make you register only one IP address then we couldn't use them anyway.

If anyone has more feedback I'd appreciate it. We still haven't purchased anything. Probably won't till near the end of march when our department has a few bucks left and they are looking for things to spend it on (that is, IF we were under budget).

JohnnyRandom
01-30-2006, 10:18 PM
We bought some Total Training DVD's for Photoshop CS and well they were pretty sweet, consice and easy to follow. Another thing the "trainer" was easy to listen too. Some of the video based tuts i've watched it was hard to understand what trainer was trying to say or they didn't explain the "right or reason" of what they were doiing. Some important considerations when you're going to shell out a few hundred bucks for the stuff.

hehe what do you mean by "really advanced":D

There are some good sections on scripting, keying, text animation and working in 3d space. All good helpful tuts.

As far as I know it isn't IP locked but don't quote me on that. We tried it on different machines on different switches on our network.

Well for $30 a month you certainly won't waste money on it (you can buy a month at a time). You can definitely get you monies worth out of it in a month.

BTW some decent tuts on 3ds Max7 (nothing for 8 yet)...

andrewjohn81
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
that's some good advice Diz. Thanks.

Hopefully that's not IP locked. it doesn't sound like it is based on what you say. Even still, at 500 bucks a year to support both countries, that's not bad.

The other DVD's sound good too. I really like it when they explain WHY they are diong something instead of just telling you how to do it.

I'll request both if possible. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.