PDA

View Full Version : Screen Grab 3D data

paul.yan
01-25-2006, 05:36 PM
http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/
(I hope this hasn't been posted before.) OGLE (i.e. OpenGLExtractor) is a software package by Eyebeam R&D (http://research.eyebeam.org/) that allows for the capture and re-use of 3D geometry data from 3D graphics applications running on Microsoft Windows. It works by observing the data flowing between 3D applications and the system's OpenGL library, and recording that data in a standard 3D file format. In other words, a 'screen grab' or 'view source' operation for 3D data.

This looks like amazing technology, but also a huge opportunity for artistic exploits! (I believe you can only get mesh data, not textures - but still!)

seven6ty
01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Ah yeah, just a stream file/pit file/baked out vertex data file, nothing new there. Interesting to see that it sounds like as if it may be able to cross so many platforms though.

Baldric
01-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Very Cool,

I tried getting it to work in WOW and Lightwave but so far no luck... has anyone tried this thing and had any success?

xstijn
01-25-2006, 08:06 PM
WOW :eek: looks awesome, im gonna try that out for sure! :arteest: I never thought of anything like this very cool, so basicly you could get every scene of WoW in maya? :surprised

amannin
01-25-2006, 08:49 PM
so does this work on any (3D) computer game? (prolly better on older games)

if so, I would love to capture my character from Elder Scrolls (Oblivion when it comes out), and modify it to my likings. But then, wouldn't there be copyright issues/problems with people doing this (even if it is not used commerically) ?

NUKE-CG
01-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Wish it was the other way around.

I'd love to be able to model a whole Quake 4 map in Maya.

Bigpet
01-26-2006, 05:26 PM
I think it's cool to look at how professionals modeled their characters. Sometimes when I see a game charaacter I want to see the wire and this look like a good tool to achieve this.
The thing is that it only works for OpenGL Games right? So it isn't possible to grab models out of the Direct3D mode right?
And I think I overheard somewhere that M$ wanted to ban OpenGL in Vista.

mechaXB
01-26-2006, 06:02 PM
// offtopic - i like your avatar :P

hm think i'm gonna give it a try. sounds interesting...

csven
01-26-2006, 09:25 PM
so does this work on any (3D) computer game? (prolly better on older games)?

No. I had success using HijackGL last year with Quake 3 (and took the data into CAD to show how it could be turned into manufacturable data) . I expect this would work on that too. This is nicer and works on some things, but it's locking up Doom3. Guy who programmed it mentioned it's getting some data out of Quake4, but it's a mess apparently.

Bigpet
01-27-2006, 04:04 PM
@mechaXB: Yours is not bad either

I heard there existed such a thing for D3D as well. Is that true?

csven
01-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Just wanted to say that I got models out of D3. Pebkac.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2006, 05:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.