PDA

View Full Version : making swatches using an image?

maikukai
01-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Is there a way to take an image and make sawtches from it?

jbw
01-26-2006, 10:42 AM
The only way I know of (I haven't looked into alot of the new CS and CS2 features yet) is to:

Open image.
Go Image menu>Mode>Indexed colour.
Select which type of palette you want to use (Local (selective) or (adaptive work) quite well).
Once you've got a palette you like, change the palette type to custom and a new window will appear. Click the save button to save out your colour table .ACT file. Now cancel all open windows so you don't convert the image to indexed colour.
Go to your swatches tab and either load or replace swatches - then navigate to the .ACT file you saved out in the previous step.

ta,
jbw

Trip139
01-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Indexed color works fine, but my very favorite way is to
> Open the Image
> Save for Web
> Use Gif Settings, and adjust the amount of colors to use (2,4,6,8,16,32,64,128,256) based on how many colors you think you'll need in your custom color palette.
> in the Color Table area, select "Sort by Luminance"
> in the Color Table area, select "Save color table" (save as .ACT file)

You now have a color palette from an image.

I have used this method many times when designing a web layout around a specific photograph that the client has requested be the centerpiece.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.