PDA

View Full Version : MS to licence Windows source code

mustique
01-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Donno if its already posted but here are the links.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/25/microsoft_to_license_windows_source_code/

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29253

can't believe its true:eek:

Texlon
01-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Wicked :surprised !!
But maybe it's a good thing for the endusers as it might lead to completly different versions of windows that change the OS market...

mangolass
01-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Wicked :surprised !!
But maybe it's a good thing for the endusers as it might lead to completly different versions of windows that change the OS market...

I don't think they mean Windows will be "open source" ~ I think they just mean that companies writing programs that run under Windows will be able to read the code so they can take advantage of all the undocumented Windows subroutines that application developers inside Microsoft can. Who knows, maybe the people who write viruses and things will read it too and start finding more clever ways to infect Windows systems? :)

LT

mustique
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't think they mean Windows will be "open source" ~ I think they just mean that companies writing programs that run under Windows will be able to read the code so they can take advantage of all the undocumented Windows subroutines that application developers inside Microsoft can. Who knows, maybe the people who write viruses and things will read it too and start finding more clever ways to infect Windows systems? :)

LT

Would be a great argument for users to adobt Vista faster.

pgp_protector
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Would be a great argument for users to adobt Vista faster.

Is that supposed to be

adopt Vista faster or
abort Vista faster ?

daHund
01-25-2006, 10:35 PM
i don't think thats a good thing. microsoft was asked to provide documentation for developers, so they can easier develop software that interacts with windows.

obviously microsoft does not want others programms to work together with their windows, so they release the sourcecode for cash, which is much harder to use than a real documentation. making it as hard as possible for others without getting their products banned in EU...

and just to clarify: they don't licens all of their windows code, only some small parts of the server stuff, mostly network related. and you can't do anything with it - so you don't buy the code, you just buy a license to read and understand it.

Beamtracer
01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
I think it would be a good thing if they reveal the source code to the world. I'm in favor of this.

If everyone can pour over the source code, there is less chance of "back door" security holes being hidden in the code.

rakmaya
01-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Fortunately it works the other way too. The more the chances of an exploit, the greater the chances of fixing it faster than waiting for a patch. Many premier open source projects gets fixes in a matter of hours instead of weeks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 02:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.