PDA

View Full Version : Game Engine Goodness - Blender 2.41

LetterRip
01-25-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.blender3d.org/_gfx/homepage/splash_front241.jpg

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/typo3temp/pics/2d9388435e.jpg http://www.blender3d.org/cms/typo3temp/pics/391ead740b.jpg

Just a short month later and Blender 2.41 is released. For all of you game creation enthusiasts this release is for you. The release is packed with Gameengine goodness with the addition of GLSL shaders, ability to use the power of the Blender Material system, as well as multiple viewports. We also added a fun sculpting tool, improved UV unwrapping, set chaining, and a number python improvements. See http://www.blender.org/cms/Blender_2_41.731.0.html for the details.

Tripdragon
01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
aw! GLSL !
sweeeet,,, sooon soon! no rendering .. ha ah hah ahah ahah ha

gabio
01-25-2006, 03:13 PM
When you look at this release log and the time needed to build it, I can say: damn that was fast.

I may say that again in less than 2 month anyway. As the next release is already half done :buttrock:

wolfmanyoda
01-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Cool! What a nice way to start my birthday :)
Thanks Blender guys.

Bsmith
01-25-2006, 05:16 PM
is anyone else having trouble connecting at d/l?

bigbad
01-25-2006, 05:20 PM
is anyone else having trouble connecting at d/l?

Try the torrent.

BgDM
01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Indeed, use the torrent, as the server is being smashed with dl's. Will likely be a day or so before it slows down a bit.

Great release, and a quick one too.

BgDM

Vladius
01-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Behold as Blender comes closer and closer to beat commercial aps.

arquebus
01-25-2006, 05:48 PM
I think Blender's only problem is that it has very slow poly modeling tools much like Max and Maya does because they have a UI that is designed to handle complicated multiobject scenes. And I find the poly modeling tools in Blender to be much less intuitive and more difficult to access than say Maya or Max. Many Max and Maya users are turning to dedicated sub-d/box modeling apps like Modo, Silo, Hexagon and even the open source modeler Wings3D to get poly modeling done. If Blender could integrate a poly modeling interface layout like these aforementioned apps, then I would be a lot more attracted to using it.

poly-phobic
01-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Behold as Blender comes closer and closer to beat commercial aps.

yea it may come even closer when/if 3.0 will have a UI that wont give me nightmares...

Elbarto
01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
With the last releases of Blender the modelling tools where greatly improved and i'm sure they will go on with it. The merge with the orange brunch will add new features too and up to 2.42 they will be others improved.

Any way i personal love the workflow and tools of Blender much more then Max. But may this depending on the fact that i leave Max with 5.0, so meanwhile they will have done a lot too.

I think Blender's only problem is that it has very slow poly modeling tools much like Max and Maya does because they have a UI that is designed to handle complicated multiobject scenes. And I find the poly modeling tools in Blender to be much less intuitive and more difficult to access than say Maya or Max. Many Max and Maya users are turning to dedicated sub-d/box modeling apps like Modo, Silo, Hexagon and even the open source modeler Wings3D to get poly modeling done. If Blender could integrate a poly modeling interface layout like these aforementioned apps, then I would be a lot more attracted to using it.

KayosIII
01-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Re: Modelling, Not going there until I have NGONs - but for now Wings3d does a stellar Job... I don't see what the big hassle is with using two apps.

The Animation Updates is 2.40 so far have been an absolute joy to work with - though some really good documentation on rigging would be fantastic.

Anyways looking forwards to trying out the new goodies

JA-forreal
01-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Set Chaining... and everything else that's great about this release of course. But Set Chaining...wow. The Blender coders are amazing.

ZanQdo
01-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Here are mirrors (http://www.graphicall.org/bf/) for all the files, enjoy.

VirgilioVasconcelos
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Guys, you´re just awesome!

Blender keeps growing faster everyday!

Thanks Ton and everyone who helped the development.

P.S.: Tom Musgrove... the B-Blender is FANTASTIC!! I´ve been using the earlier version and found myself absolutely amazed with that. Congrats, man! :thumbsup:

faultline
01-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Re: Modelling, Not going there until I have NGONs -

I'm guessing you're not a lightwaver :P Ngon's do rock, but they're certainly not the be-all and end all of modelling. Lack of ngons , IMO force you to learn better techniques of model topology.

Regardless, Blender really is getting impressive - fast.

KayosIII
01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes I have modelled without NGons... I used to model in blender before I discovered Wings3d (and got reasonable results)... Admitedly that was a few years ago and the modelling tools have advanced but the lack of NGons is still a sticking point. (Sorry I disagree about making better topology - that is precisely why I like NGons)...

Anyhoo Blender doesn't have to have them to be useful to to me. Since Getting work to and from Wings doesn't seem to be an issue.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.