PDA

View Full Version : Need help in painting my lo poly normal mapped character

Reyes
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I have created a lo poly normal mapped character using max 7 and zbrush 2.I am currently painting diffuse map in photoshop.
My question is-How do i import my lopoly model with maps so i can use PM to add detail to my diffuse map
I have imported model from max to zbrush and imported texture but the normal map i created is not there.
How do i get that into zbrush as well?
It is a tga and used in max as a normal bump in the bump slot

Andreseloy
01-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi friend:
1.-You know the ZApplink that allow you being in Projectio Master to texture in Photoshop?
2.-You know the ZMapper that allow you to make your normal map in ZBrush?

Not sure if this help you
Let me know
Andreseloy

APLevitz
01-25-2006, 04:49 PM
ZBrush's materials aren't equivilant to Max or Maya. It can export TIFs for things like normal maps, but those TIFs aren't terribly useful to you inside of ZBrush. You can bring them into the Diffuse slot, convert them to alphas, convert those alphas to selections, etc. But none of that is what you're after.

You can't apply your normal map back to the model inside of ZBrush, to the best of my knowledge. That said, you shouldn't have to. Your high-res mesh has all the detail the normal map was created to simulate, and SHOULD have the same UV layout, so you can bring in your new diffuse map and edit it with Projection Master (and ZApplink if desired). When you export THAT diffuse map, everything will line up with the normal map you've already exported.

To summarize:
Don't import your low-poly mesh back into ZBrush unless you're specifically editing that. Re-load the ZTool you used to generate it instead.

If you didn't save the ZTool... Learn from that, and always save your ZTools.

Also worth noting:
If you altered your UV layout on the low-res model, there are ways to transfer that to your original ZTool. I'm guessing you didn't, though, as this would likely have mangled your normal map.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.