PDA

View Full Version : SSS_fast_skin + PSD using mix8layers??

moree007
01-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Can someone please help me fill in the blanks?

I'm reading that you can use mix8layers to make layers, masks, etc.
on top of a SSS_fast_skin shader which will inherit the effects
of the SSS_fast_skin shader.

My goal is to create realistic skin, but add details to the skin in
photoshop that can mix with the effects of the SSS_skin_shader.

So, here's what I start out with:

(Note that I'm unable to select a UV set when creating a PSD node. Sometimes
when I am able to select a UV set, the attributes are gone.)

moree007
01-25-2006, 08:11 AM
So when I create a PSD layered node/file, the uv set is unlisted.

I saw a forum post that talked about layering UV sets:
http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthread.php?p=314364 (http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthread.php?p=314364)

It looks like the guy who started this thread is having the same
questions about layering that I am. The thread mentions
using UV sets. So I tried using the relationship editor
to connect shaders with different UV sets.

The way the UV sets work is like lets say you have a brick wall like you said.. or a skin texture.. since this is going to tile and repeat.. you wouldn't need to go far and have a grand UV map for it.... just a unified projection would be enough.
But Lets ay you want to put a poster/Grafitti on your wall... and this time you have to have the whole wall projected onto a planar mapping. You simply create a new UVset and and give it a distinctive name.
In the UV connection editor, you could later on assighn the poster texture onto the second set.. and the brick texture onto the UV original Set.
(I usually use this for displacement maps.. since unified and spread out UV coords give me a better result I prepare that one seperately)

Does this mean you can overlap UV sets like layers?

Anyway, when I tried openning the relationship editor,
I wasn't able to figure out how to connect the UV's
to the shaders. I went to Relationship editor > UV linking >
texture-centric. I'm able to see the shaders and UV
sets, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to connect them.
Isn't it as simple as highlighting the UV set from one
column and highlighting the shader in the shader column?

moree007
01-25-2006, 08:38 AM
So are there two methods?

1. Overlapping UV sets (i.e. applying the SSS to one UV set,
and applying the PSD layer node to a copy of the first UV set).

2. Using mix8layers (i.e. placing PSD node on layer one, and placing
SSS on layer two).

The person on the other thread that I mention says he has figured it out:

The standard Layered Shader in Maya doesn't support Mental Ray rendering that good, so I found the mix8layer Shader on www.Highend3D.com (http://www.highend3d.com/) which works pretty much like layers in Photoshop (you can select a whole load of mixing techniques).
I connected my SSS_fast_skin Shader to color.layer0 (base color) and my blinn to color.layer1. Important though is to connect the lmap (lightmap) file for the SSS material to the Shading Group of mix8layer (instead of the old SSS SG). And finally, connect a file node (the alpha map) to o.factor in layer1 (also, I went with normal.mix in blending mode).

Can someone tell me what is meant by "connected SSS_fast_skin to color.layer() and
my blinn to color.layer1" ?

And "And finally, connect a file node (the alpha map) to o.factor in layer1 (also, I went with normal.mix in blending mode" ?

Even when I open up the UV relationship editor, I don't see anything listed as
"color.layer()" or "color.layer1".

moree007
01-25-2006, 09:05 AM
If using UV sets as layers is not the answer, and using mix8layers or js_multilayers to mix layers is the better solution, is there anyone gracious enough to write a visual tutorial to help us clearly understand the steps?

moree007
01-25-2006, 09:31 AM
I got this response from another forum:

3)Re: SSS_fast_skin + PSD using mix8layers/js_multil - posted by Sue on Jan-25-2006 at 9:49 pm (email) Let's tackle this one area at a time. First, I think we should clear up what UV sets, layered shaders and layered textures are.

UV sets allow you to have different UV layouts for different textures on the same object. For example, like in the case of that brick wall that somebody mentioned, you can have one UV set with a tiled brick texture, and have another UV set on top of this with another texture with a transparency map (e.g. a graffiti or some dirt).

Layered textures layer several different textures on top of each other, which are blended together with different blending modes and with the help of transparency maps.

Layered shaders are different from layered textures: in this case you are layering different shaders (materials) on top of each other. For example, you could have a
blinn shader on the bottom, and put a lambert shader on top of this one. This way, with the help of a transparency map, you can have different specular and other material values on different parts of the same object.

PSD files can be used in layered textures.

Mental Ray has some problems with layered shaders (but not layered textures), so most people do not recommend using layered shaders with MR.

I'll try to put together a little tutorial about UV sets and layered textures tomorrow.

I think that color.layer() and color.layer1 are attributes in the mix8layer shader, so that's where you should look for them. I'll experiment with the SSS question later and see if I can figure out how to do what you want.
4)Re: SSS_fast_skin + PSD using mix8layers/js_multilayer - posted by xxxx on Jan-26-2006 at 9:07 am

Sincerely, thank you Sue!

That helps me clear up a lot of questions I had.

At first thought, it seems like using UV sets
would be the answer I'm looking for. Because
I'm trying to find a way to place a "glaze
image/texture layer(s)" on top of the SSS_fast_skin
shader. (With multiple glaze layers with attributes
like color, bump map, etc.) I know how handy
it was to use the PSD layer node, because Maya
automatically saves all the attributes in separate
layers for me, but I guess I will be unable to use
the PSD LAYERED (not texture) node with SSS.
But anyway, does this mean a method could be that
I can assign an SSS_fast_skin to one UV set, and
create overlapping UV sets which I would assign
PSD color, PSD bump, etc.?

It's also sounding like there is a way to use PSD
files for layered textures, if I place the SSS_fast_skin
on the bottom layer (for example) of the mix8layers and
placing the overlapping "glaze" PSD texture files
on the top layers.

I tried doing this on a sub D model, but for some
reason the PSD overlapping layer doesn't render.
The effects of the SSS_fast_skin layer do show
in the render on the model, but the PSD texture
does not show up.

Thanks again Sue! :-)

moree007
01-25-2006, 02:27 PM
A pic of my shader network.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 02:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.