PDA

View Full Version : Gopher Broke & RockFish Feature Films

Aritz
01-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Blur Studio is hoping to make the feature films of Gopher Broke & RockFish, this last with Vin Dieselīs voice

- LINK 1 - (http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=4827) , - LINK 2 - (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450319/)

BillB
01-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Cool! Best of luck to all the gang Blur - they're in for a fun, and arduous, ride. Look forward to seeing the films!

desmondying
01-25-2006, 09:17 AM
looking forward to see it. I love all of Blur's shorts.

when can we expect a In the Rough feature film ;)?

rokandic
01-25-2006, 09:49 AM
when can we expect a In the Rough feature film ;)?
Of all the Blur shorts that's the one I would most like to see as a feature. Good to see that Blur has entered the feature realm.

-rok

Ollarin
01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to see the films. The shorts were great! :thumbsup:

faultline
01-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Rockfish definately falls into a more 'adult' catagory - which I think is excellent. A "mature" rated CG action/adventure would be great to bust the current "talking animal" trend people are currently disgruntled with. :)

ThomasMahler
01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
I don't know about Rockfish, but I'm sure you could do something great with Gopher. It'll for sure be a looong, rocky, hard road, but I wish you blur guys best of luck! :)

DePingus
01-25-2006, 04:21 PM
I think a Moby Dick type story for RockFish would work well.

Bsmith
01-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I can't see Gopher Broke at feature length...good short obviously but I can't see me wanting to watch more than a couple of minutes of that.

ThomasMahler
01-25-2006, 05:26 PM
I can't see Gopher Broke at feature length...good short obviously but I can't see me wanting to watch more than a couple of minutes of that.

Well, I was just thinking about the looks. They'd have to totally rewrite it, of course. I think there are a lot of possibilities here. Think about Ice Age.

mangolass
01-25-2006, 05:48 PM
That's great ~ it's good to see more small companies breaking into CG features.

LT

SheepFactory
01-25-2006, 05:59 PM
excellent news! :buttrock:

RockinAkin
01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Awesome News!! Congratulations to everyone at Blur!! :beer:

RayenD
01-25-2006, 06:07 PM
<cheers>
Awesome news! Good luck in everything!

rcronin
01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Join the production plethora.
http://www.cgchar-animation.com/animatedmovies.php

I think Pixar sold at a good time.

WillRyan
01-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Way to go Blur. Can't wait to see both of these on the big screen. Does this mean we can finally say Max has been the primary software on a CG feature? (Not intending to start a software flame war, just excited to see Max on the big screen. :D)

With Hoodwinked's apparent success at the box-office, I'd imagine it will get a bit easier to get some initial funding the more these low-cost features make their money back quickly. Here's to hoping some more independently produced films follow in Hoodwinked's wake.

Shaderhacker
01-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Very very nice to see you guys come out with some features! It's been a long time coming. I hope to see lots of positions open up in the next few months! Excellent for the artists and programmers out there looking for work! :thumbsup:

-M

faultline
01-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Join the production plethora.
http://www.cgchar-animation.com/animatedmovies.php
I think Pixar sold at a good time.

Agreed. I knew there was a heap of features on their way, but wow...

FloydBishop
01-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey, if you're ever looking for a studio to handle the projects you're too busy to do now... :)

Congratulations!
:beer:

JDex
01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow... I thought Rockfish was going to end up live action. Not sure which way would've been cooler. Warm wishes on both projects.

markdc
01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
With Hoodwinked's apparent success at the box-office, I wouldn't be surprised to see even more studios joining the fray. I'd imagine it will get a bit easier to get some initial funding the more these low-cost features make their money back quickly.

Way to go Blur. Can't wait to see both of these on the big screen. Does this mean we can finally say Max has been the primary software on a CG feature? (oh man, don't let this start a software flame war. I don't want to be responsible for another one of those:blush: )

Max was used for Kaena (made in France). It wasn't released in theaters in the US but is on DVD.

I wish blur luck with both features.

Tim Miller
01-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Just to set the record straight cuz I don't want anyone to ever accuse blur of HYPE....

The press release didn't say that we're starting production on a Gopher Broke feature, but rather that we're DEVELOPING a Gopher Broke feature. There's a HUMONGOUS difference.

Development means that you'd like to make a feature and if all goes according to plan you hopefully will one day. But the gap between hoping to make a feature and MAKING a feature is vast. So here's straight dope:

1. Rockfish: is going into early preproduction: We have a major studio that wants to do the project with us, we've started the script and we're doing some early visual development. Once we turn in a good script then the project will go into full preproduction. If THAT goes well then we'll start making a movie. If the script sucks (which it won't of course) then it wouldn't move beyond that first phase.

2. Gopher Broke: We have an excellent script and a stellar package of concept designs, key art and info about the film we'd like to make. Several studios are interested but no deal has been struck yet. However we're confident that things will move forward based on the meetings we've so far and that a studio or production company will partner with us on this soon.

Just thought I'd set the record straight. There are too many companies out there who try and rev up the hype machine with vague chatter or--worse yet--diliberately misleading information about thier projects. I don't want blur to ever be one of them and that certainly wasn't our intention with this press release...but because there seems to be some confusion about the status I thought I'd clarify our intentions.

I'm confident we'll be making CG features in the very near future but right now we're still just WORKING towards that goal very, very, very hard. And the success of "Hoodwinked" or other films like it has absolutely NOTHING to do with us planning to do features--that was our goal when we opened our doors 11 years ago and we've always been headed in that direction. We'll get there soon I believe, but--unlike our current President--you won't hear us say "mission accomplished" until the check clears. :)

Tim Miller
Creative Director
BLUR

ambient-whisper
01-26-2006, 05:19 AM
im just hoping that if/when you do decide to go ahead with gopher, that its not overdone/forced. reason i say this is because he is one of my favorite characters( like scrat), but at the same time, both can only be taken in smaller doses. forcing a film about him would work as well as the penguins short movie. it doesnt work as well as the small skits that they were in.( i hope im not repeating something that has been said already).

anyway, good luck with it!.

jeremybirn
01-26-2006, 05:28 AM
We'll get there soon I believe, but--unlike our current President--you won't hear us say "mission accomplished" until the check clears. :)

Thanks for clearing that up. If you don't say it, we won't hang a banner that says it behind you. :)

-jeremy

Chris Thomas
01-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd just like to say congratulations to Tim and all the guys and girls at Blur, both past and present who's hard work and dedication has lead to this point. Ok, so the films may not be in full production right now, but fingers crossed they'll both move on to full speed as soon as their ready to.

Blur, like Pixar has always been a maverick within the field of CG, and its great to see that their non-conformity to the usual studio ethos has got them where they deserved to be. Can't wait to see these hit the screen. Top work guys ;)

archerx
01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
After what blur did with the hellgate london cinematic, I would love to see that feature length at the cinema! (Probably never gonna happen... :sad: ) it was amazing... Good luck you guys!

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.