PDA

View Full Version : What modeler do you use?

iKKe
01-25-2006, 02:19 AM
The EI Modeler is history now, or isn't it?

I am wondering what the favorite modelers are amongst EIAS users.

Please vote

buggsy
01-25-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm a Building Designer and I use ArchiCAD and them import to EI. I've just purchased SILO which I love for freeform type models.

Buggsy

Vizfizz
01-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Try setting up a poll with a couple of possibilities. 10 is the maximum. I'd include:

EIM
Silo
Form Z
Hexagon
Modo
Cobalt/Xenon/Argon
SketchUp
Other mainstream 3D app. (LW/Maya/C4D/Max)
Amapi

Who am I missing?

iKKe
01-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Sorry Brian,

I was working on the poll, there are so many choices, I had a hard time choosing between them, maybe users can post if their modeler is other than the mentioned ones.

Cheers

Hans

Vizfizz
01-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Its cool.. you got some that I overlooked.

iKKe
01-25-2006, 02:50 AM
I still use EI modeler, I always loved it.

But Modo has taken it's place as my favorite modeler.

AzOne
01-25-2006, 05:43 AM
It took me almost a year from when it first came out to get my head around how EI Modeler worked. And I'm still learning! Now I won't let it go until it refuses to run on my Mac :-)

I still have (fading) hopes that somehow it might be revived.

In the meantime I've tried Silo and Hexagon. Both are great but I think the wiring in my head seems to work better with Hexagon. Just wish it supported FACT.

AVTPro
01-25-2006, 06:19 AM
My primary modeler is FormZ because it can do anything.
However, I got more into EIM when I got into orgranic characters because of the Morph Targeting is easier to transfer into EIAS for facial animation.

My first character head was modeled in FormZ and transferred via .SAT into EIModeler.
Then as I learned to use EIM it went the way of the dinosaur.

Well, of course EIM still works fine but I decided to learn Maya, because of UV control would benefit my EI work more.

http://web.mac.com/avtpro5/iWeb

halfworld
01-25-2006, 07:13 AM
I used to use EIM but for the life of me I couldn't grasp the 101 rules of rounding so I moved to Form•Z and it is fantastic, I get on very well with it. I love solid body modeling and prefer it to soft body apps like Silo and Hexagon.

AzOne: I have a couple of friends who use Hexagon and they find exporting to OBJ and going into EI via Transporter works fine. I think FACT export may happen if you nag them enough given that there are some EIAS users inside the development team there....

AzOne
01-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Ian, thanks for the tip!

There are EIAS users in the Hexagon team? That's brilliant! I'll e-mail them my request.

I used to use FormZ when I was using EIAS 2.7.5 (FormZ v 2.7, I think) but haven't upgraded since then. Took me awhile to get my head around it too, but I liked it eventually. The upgrade price (if even possible after all the versions I missed) would be daunting.

I actually prefer solid body modeling myself too, but most of the new modeling tools seem geared towards soft body work.

Aziz.

Jedt3D
01-25-2006, 03:08 PM
for me, my fav modelers are..

Polygon : Silo, Modo and some of them going to ZBrush
some kind of CAD thing.. : formZ, EI Modeler

whooo.. that' more than enough for me I think..

if someone ever use Jenna plugin that make many kind of Array for Cinema 4D, could you suggest which software, plugin that can be comparable with Jenna plugin? (Thinking about everything you can imagine about Arraying objects.)

harryb
01-25-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm surprised to see that Rhino isn't up there. It's one of the most versatile NURBS modelers out there. I used Rhino quite a bit before EI had a modeler. Very stable, very fast and it'll run well on practically any machine -- even my Mac under Virtual PC!

I'm using Silo now that I'm not creating high-tolerenced models for manufacture but Rhino really should be on the list. In my opinion, it's one of the best modelers out there.

Just my $0.02

iKKe
01-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm surprised to see that Rhino isn't up there.

Sorry, had to make a selection, and picked the ones I heard most about on the EIAS forums.

even my Mac under Virtual PC!

Cool, downloading the evaluation version now.

harryb
01-25-2006, 08:05 PM
I realize there are lots of modelers to choose from. I guess everyone's trying to find the ideal workflow. Thanks for putting this up!

Reuben5150
01-25-2006, 11:03 PM
EIM had everything under on roof, pitty it had to go the way it did, i was just starting to learn how powerfull it was, i can still use it but having a few issues running on WinXP, and i suspect it will only get worse...

So it if i want to model something its usually Silo, been thinking about Concepts3D hmm.

I dabble with Zbrush 2, but i really think the whole ZB+EI thing needs looking at on both sides.

Reuben

paul k.
01-26-2006, 12:14 AM
I am not an EI user at all but I have worked as a modeler at three different studios and have to say that if you want the best Sub D modeler in the world use MODO without a doubt. I use a combination of Modo and Zbrush and all is well. I really couldn't ask for more.

I have been asked to Model professionally in Max, Lightwave, and Maya, and without a doubt my current Modo, Zbrush combo is far far superior. Modo is the base Zbrush for Zbrush things. Adding realism and small details basically. \

If I couldn't use Modo, I would choose Lightwave's modeler. It's thourough, complete, really fast, and battle tested. Plus the whole app is so cheap now that you get the animation tools and a pro renderer for free. The modeling tools pay for themselfes. Also Luxology has announced a new Modo render that looks very promising.

Just my opinion.

Vizfizz
01-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks Paul..

Yes, Modo is a fine piece of software. Great for modeling. As for rendering, well, we'll stick to Camera. We're pretty happy with it. :)

iKKe
01-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks Paul..

Yes, Modo is a fine piece of software. Great for modeling. As for rendering, well, we'll stick to Camera. We're pretty happy with it. :)

Well, there could be a way to use both camera and the future Modo renderer.
Modo 201 will support Color and Normal Map Render Baking. I did some tests with this in C4D, it was useful for my EIAS projects, but in C4D the render baking is just to slow to be practical for me. Maybe in Modo 201 Render Baking will be faster and useable in EIAS.

Cheers

Hans

Reuben5150
01-26-2006, 01:14 AM
I am not an EI user at all but I have worked as a modeler at three different studios and have to say that if you want the best Sub D modeler in the world use MODO without a doubt.

Just my opinion.

Maybe it is to some, but i still don't understand why it requires 2x mouse clicks to do the same job every other modeler i know does with one click.

Thats just the feeling i got from the demo, oh and it seemed over complex, guess i'm just used to Silo :)

Reuben

harryb
01-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Maybe it is to some, but i still don't understand why it requires 2x mouse clicks to do the same job every other modeler i know does with one click.

Thats just the feeling i got from the demo, oh and it seemed over complex, guess i'm just used to Silo :)

Reuben

I tried the demo of Modo too and a lot of stuff seems to be borrowed from Lightwave (clicking a specific icon to select and deselect, creating layers for boolean operations, etc.) but I think Modo comes to life when you need to generate complex arrays or automate the construction of a complicated spline path for an extrusion.

I'm still hooked on the Silo work flow (it's "like butta") and version 2.0 looks like a giant leap forward but I can certainly understand why people appreciate Modo. Silo and Modo are very much alike.

willbrown
01-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I will always keep a Mac around that runs OS 9 and EI modeler. I find that most modeling apps do something really well and faster than others. Still love the knife tool in EI modeler for that very reason.

For now Silo is the tool of choice for me. But I'm also holdiing on to Amorphium; it can do so many little tricks that just come in handy now and then.

I think modelers are like shop tools - you need a router, then you need a table saw. When modeling, sometimes its' EI modeler, sometimes Amorphium, sometimes Lightwave's modeler, sometimes Silo..... I wish I had them all. In the words of Tool Times Tim Taylor "MORE POWER - UUUUGHH" :beer:

Martin Kay
01-29-2006, 09:00 AM
I used first formZ, then Rhino and EIM a bit. Personally I'd avoid formZ now. I'll look at Silo and Modo, although Modo sounds a bit formZish with all those clicks... Whats the difference between Silo and Modo, apart from price? Modo seems very comprehensive, but one gets the feeling the price will be hiked up once the user base is acquired.

Martin K

fahl5
01-29-2006, 10:23 AM
I like the clear and pragmatical UI in Silo, which allows focussing on the model instead of looking for hidden functions to much.
Silo 2 seems quite promissing too.
Steffen

Martin Kay
01-29-2006, 10:45 AM
I like the clear and pragmatical UI in Silo, which allows focussing on the model instead of looking for hidden functions to much.
Silo 2 seems quite promissing too.
Steffen

I just had a very quick look at Silo. My first impression is that it certainly doesn't have all that number of functions. I assume there are meshing controls somewhere as my first test export to EI, of a beveled cube resulted in over smoothed edges, inspite of setting the angle to 5 degrees on import.

Martin K

3DArtZ
01-29-2006, 02:14 PM
I just had a very quick look at Silo. My first impression is that it certainly doesn't have all that number of functions. I assume there are meshing controls somewhere as my first test export to EI, of a beveled cube resulted in over smoothed edges, inspite of setting the angle to 5 degrees on import.

Martin K

You can do a partial subdivide on sections ofthe mesh if you want.
It took me a couple months to get "it" with silo. And then a couple projects where I forced silo into my production work and viola! I can't say enough good things about it.
Its fast, stable and I can make stuff with it!

I can't wait for the next version with the displacment feature a la Zbrush!

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com (http://www.3dartz.com)

Reuben5150
01-29-2006, 02:59 PM
You can do a partial subdivide on sections ofthe mesh if you want.
It took me a couple months to get "it" with silo. And then a couple projects where I forced silo into my production work and viola! I can't say enough good things about it.
Its fast, stable and I can make stuff with it!

I can't wait for the next version with the displacment feature a la Zbrush!

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com (http://www.3dartz.com)

Yes, i'm looking forward to Silo2 a lot, i think it will be a pretty big upgrade.

Reuben

harryb
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Yes, i'm looking forward to Silo2 a lot, i think it will be a pretty big upgrade.

Reuben

2.0 looks like a real improvement. I'm really looking forward to creating workable UV maps without having to go into Wings and Transporter to be able to work with UVs in EI.

Soon (I hope)

Reuben5150
01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Hmm you'll still need transporter (i think), Nevercenter seem to have trouble with the fact format, but you never know.

Reuben

Martin Kay
01-30-2006, 09:48 PM
I've been looking at Rhino 3 and it seems quite solid and forgiving. It makes sense for me to upgrade as its quite cheap to do so.

Martin K

cthurston
02-01-2006, 05:16 AM
My first 'real' modeler was formZ, which I loved. When EI introduced Modeler (EIM) the first version was very unstable for me. By the time it got to version three it was extremely stable for me so I started to give it a real go and rather quickly abandoned formZ. Not that formZ wasn't as good. In fact it's my belief that formZ is a much deeper modeler than EIM. I just started liking EIM more because I could get my work done so much faster. It seemed simpler to use than formZ and would edge round the pants off of formZ. When they discontinued it's development I started looking at other modelers for down the road. Eventually I went with Modo which I also love now. That was a bit getting used to since I'd never used Sub-D modelers before. EIM does have UberNURBS which, to me is it's modeler within a modeler, and for the most part it is a Sub-D modeler (or at leas operates along the same pricibles to me anyway) but it seemed the models would get cumbersome to deal with when they started getting a little complex. At the moment I use them both. I wish EI would pick up Modeler again and further it's development but that seems very unlikely (there's certainly no discussion of it that I'm aware of) but I'll continue to use it. While EIM and Modo are very dissimilar, They're my two favorite modelers at the moment. At the moment I render everything in EI.
Curt

SteveW928
02-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey folks, thanks for putting Concepts 3D/Unlimited in the list. I really think that is is a good replacement for EIM (sans Ubers) if you like that kind of modeling. In fact, once you get the interface down, it is quite a bit more powerful tool wise.

I also used form*Z for a while, but just couldn't get my speed up to anywhere near what I can do with Concepts. Now, the poly / subdivision modelers are a whole different animal. I'm more of a mechanical guy anyway, so those just haven't appealed to me. I've played with them a bit, but I don't have an immediate use for them, and I don't seem to get them. Maybe some day.

-Steve

AVTPro
02-03-2006, 01:48 AM
Dear friends,

I just published an update to my website. Take a look!

Kind regards,

Alonzo

Main Page:
http://web.mac.com/avtpro5/iWeb/Site

Modified Pages:
http://web.mac.com/avtpro5/iWeb/Site/Blog/AEE4D9C8-9449-11DA-A519-0030657CE1C0.html

Guet-Apens_Lyon
02-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Guys

I still use EI modeler on my dual G5 2,3 and i love it. EIAS lost a lot of things since stop the modeler.
Today i also use silo for all the "ungeometrical" models.
I hope a new pro 3D solution's made by Apple (may be directly developed by Pixar's tools) very soon…

Good work…

Guet-Apens_Lyon
02-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Some of our models at :

http://www.cgchannel.com/gallery/viewimage.jsp?imgID=11326

sacslacker
02-06-2006, 03:53 AM
Maya and modo for me although modo does tend to crash a bit. I just got Silo with the EI order I put in so that one seems nice to work with, just haven't had the time to play with it.

I'm really excited for modo 201.

Vizfizz
02-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Maya and modo for me although modo does tend to crash a bit. I just got Silo with the EI order I put in so that one seems nice to work with, just haven't had the time to play with it.

I'm really excited for modo 201.

So you've received your software huh? That's great. I'd really appreciate if you would share your experiences with working with the program for the first time. First time users usually have the most insight towards things and your observations of the program are important.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2006, 04:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.