PDA

View Full Version : OT: new render engine ELEKTRONIK

michaeli
01-25-2006, 01:59 AM
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/nickamy/index.html

Looks like another physically based render engine, and the latest results are very nice.

ThirdEye
01-27-2006, 09:32 PM
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/nickamy/index.html

Looks like another physically based render engine, and the latest results are very nice.

and the rendertimes are useless

PhillipCrond
01-27-2006, 11:02 PM
and the rendertimes are useless

C'mon, an 80 minute film at 2k res would only take 786 years to render. Where's the probem? Plus you save time in compositing because you don't have to add film grain.

christianS
01-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey

Strange,when maxwell came out, everybody said "great"...
Don't get me wrong, i am not the biggest fan of those "let's wait 2 days, but hey, it is physically correct" - render engines. But if you look at this particular render engine, you'll see it utilizes several different algorithmes, MLT is just one option, and one, some people are paying 500 euros for...
This looks quit interesting and i realy don't understand your destructive comments.
Have a look at the result from 5th September 2005. Looks quite good for 5201 seconds( 1 h 27 min). And there are other good examples.

Nobody said it is a production renderer. But everything has to start somewhere.
Too bad there is nothing to test yet.
Thanks for the link Michaeli

Chris

jntdigital
01-28-2006, 05:32 AM
i emailed this guy when this site was featured on cgarchitect a few days ago. he said he had no plans for a commercial version but would be releasing a free version soon.

StefanB
01-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Looks like just another renderer.
How is this renderer affiliated to C4D?

moka.studio
01-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Looks like just another renderer.
How is this renderer affiliated to C4D?

What is just another renderer?
Qualitatively there are huge differences.

It is not affiliated with C4d-
I for one find it impressive to read that in this case it is a personnal project - of one person.
The renders he has posted, render time not withstanding, look quite good. No one is claiming that this is a production-ready renderer either.

StefanB
01-28-2006, 04:25 PM
What is just another renderer?
Just another "render engine". Is it better now?

Qualitatively there are huge differences.
Compared to what?

I wondered why it was posted in this section instead the "Lighting and Rendering" subforum if there is no connection to C4D.

moka.studio
01-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Just another "render engine". Is it better now?

No, I understood perfectly what you where saying. I just do not agree with the dismissive manner in which you say this.

Compared to what?

It is not a question of comparing it concretely to another render engine, rather what i am saying is that there are substantial differences in general between render engines. Again, i find the efforts from this developer interesting, especially in light of the troubles with M~R

I wondered why it was posted in this section instead the "Lighting and Rendering" subforum if there is no connection to C4D.
It is posted in the Lighting and Rendering Subforum for c4d...
I can understand it being here, even if OT, as there has been a lot of talk and speculation on render engines for C4d, and because of the inadequacies perceived in the AR render engine by many users.
And the original post mentions it being OT.

StefanB
01-28-2006, 05:16 PM
I only see another render engine and this was the simple reason for my initial post. Sure, it looks interesting, like most of the others render engine out there.

Ernest Burden
01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
The fact that the guy is simply exploring the possibilities and sharing his trials with us marks the difference between his program and others we may have looked at and commented on. He's not asking for anyone's money and so it is interesting to see how much he can succeed as just one guy trying his hand at building a rendering application. If he shares the results then its fantastic. Either way, it provides a good BS detector when commercial products try to do the same thing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.