PDA

View Full Version : Cassiopeia-queen of the machines (WIP)

Imperial1983
01-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi there, long time no post :D

I am currently busy with finishing my first "hand painted" picture. I got myself a wacom
intuos 3 din A4 tablet n started to paint like there is no tommorow :D

Im a sucker for Giger n everything that is kinda surrealistic and dark.
I started out with some basic stuff. The background walls were done quite quickly, since they are "made" of one simple greyscale part wich I then duplicated/scaled/rotated to get what u see in this picture. Along with a female body greyscale and a color texture (no photo refference) this was pretty much everything to start from.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/227/rough4forcgtalk5xr.jpg

about 20 hours later I ended up with what I would consider a "semifinal" version.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/706/cassiopeiacgtalkrdy2ru.jpg

but now I face 2 problems. I think the smoke looks kinda fake or just not right. I dont know pretty much for myself. This is btw. the first time I painted smoke so you are free to bash the hell outta me ;) I hope someone has a solution for this issue. The second thing is the sentinel on top. I wanted to "seperate" him a bit from the rest of the picture, wich sticks to the palette. I painted a freakin lot of little red light bulbs yesterday for each individual arm, but when I zoomed out the whole think looked like a christmas tree. So I threw that Idea away. I also got problems with the light wich is supposed to come outta his eye. I think I did a quite good job on the lazer rays of the little minions at cassiopeias belly, but the thing commin outta his eye lookS just plain fake to me. I know it is maybe mainly a question of taste, but I would appreaciate c&c also if it not regards one of my problems.

Glad to be back. You folks keep me inspired :bounce:
Keep up the great work.

Daniel

fredlovebot
01-24-2006, 04:53 PM
A magnificent piece! I like it really much!
I probably not the man to criticize your work though :blush:
Just a quick note about the smoke; Try not to make all the little 'puffs' blowing in the same direction, I think it would look more dynamic if they were flowing upwards or just diffrent directions. :)

Imperial1983
01-24-2006, 06:37 PM
:D hehe I think you got a point there. My girlfriend told me the same thing but sheŽs not into painting at all. I will experiment with the directions of the fog and keep u updated.

thx for the comment

ThePhotographer
01-24-2006, 10:02 PM
I think that the girl needs to pop out some more. Right now everything is on the same level of focus, intensity, saturation, everything. There has to be some difference between the background and the girl.

Other than that - good work this far !

Gitte

Imperial1983
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Thank you Gitte for that advice. I totally ignored that. I think I will work the background over with some blurrs. Also the sentinel use a little blur around the part where he comes into the pic. IŽll be ready with an updated version in a few hours.

Imperial1983
01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
here we go. I got rid of the smoke for now (I tried to paint new smoke but I simply suck at it, so Im gonna get myself a tutorial n do the smoke later). I blurred the background and the glyphes with some radial and gaussian blurrs.Also I chose to make the shine around cassiopeia a little bit lighter. Added a basic shadow for the sentinel. Blurred the sentinel on the upper right. Added shine to the tentacles and the laser rays. so far so good.... Thank you for your tips n tricks so far. Im still deciding wheter to use the blurred or the unblurred version to go on. I will keep u updated with new versions asap. And please feel free to c&c

Daniel

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6599/cassiopeia2cgtalkrdy1wo.jpg

Imperial1983
02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
I am currently busy with drawing a protrait and designing the new website for the metal band force trankill. I hope I can use some of the techniques I learned while painting cassiopeia. You will find the new design on www.force-trankill.com (http://www.force-trankill.com) in a few days. I will try to upload an updated version of cassiopeia featuring minor changes tonight or at least in the next 2 days. Thank you for your advice so far. You guys really keep me inspired constantly.

So long

Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.