PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Reporter: WB Net, UPN to join forces as one network

mummey
01-24-2006, 03:31 PM
>>Link<<
(http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001883859)
The WB Network and UPN will merge in the hope of making the two smaller broadcast networks into a bigger power, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Time Warner CEO Richard Parsons, CBS Corp. CEO Leslie Moonves and Tribune Co. CEO Dennis FitzSimons are set to announce the move at a news conference in New York at 11am ET.

TW and Tribune have been partners in the WB, while CBS owns UPN.

The two networks will merge operations and programming, with UPN president Dawn Ostroff overseeing the combined venture, sources said.

>>Link to Press Release<< (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-24-2006/0004266588&EDATE=)

JDex
01-24-2006, 03:35 PM
<sarcasm>Wow... that's a shocker.</sarcasm>

They already play on the same station here... some nights it WB, some nights it UPN.

mummey
01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Just as long as I can still get my Veronica Mars fix I'm fine

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/veronica_mars/images/cast/mars_cast_main.jpg

oh dear... :love:

dax3d
01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
I am hooked on Veronica Mars like crack. I had heard some directors talk about the writing on the show and gave it a try. GREAT writing, cool twists, and I love her sarcasm/humor. Been off the air for a while though?

JDex
01-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Hmm... this is CBS related too... I didn't catch that. CBS is affiliated with UPN now. The web of intrigue is just too complex for my neural pathways to keep up with.

heavyness
01-24-2006, 04:53 PM
please cancel 7th Heaven, please cancel 7th Heaven, please cancel 7th Heaven...

and for god sakes, slow down the dialog on Gilmore Girls!

dax3d
01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Whoa I just re-read that part about the UPN president being in charge. Um....why? The UPN has horrific ratings, and the WB has some very successful shows. Whether you like them or not, I was under the impression they mopped the floor with UPN. I don't think I'd let them run the show. Ugh

cookepuss
01-24-2006, 09:43 PM
please cancel 7th Heaven, please cancel 7th Heaven, please cancel 7th Heaven...

Uhmmm... Done. It only has 10 more eps left in its run. I'll be gone by May or so.

As for the new network, whatthewhoshewhatsit!?! This past 12 months have certainly generated quite a few mergers and acquisitions. As long as my favorite series like Smallville remain intact I'm okay with the new CW channel. The name stinks, but so did WB and UPN a decade ago. If I read that statement correctly, the CW will be carried on WB affiliates, which means ch11 for NYC-ers. No big deal. I usually skipped over UPN anyway. :p

With a new network skewed to a younger demo, the big 4 might actually have a reason to reevaluate their lackluster, realityTV filled lineups. About f-in time. Then again, I said the same thing when WB & UPN first launched. Business as usual probably.

heavyness
01-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Uhmmm... Done. It only has 10 more eps left in its run. I'll be gone by May or so.

thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.