PDA

View Full Version : Workstation update or hang on?

softdistortion
01-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I know it's been asked a million times already, but it still seems like alot of issues with new setups and especially new PCI Express video and Nvidia. A few of you guys have run the gauntlet from the threads I have read. :hmm:

Is it best to sit and wait longer or can I build a stable system without days of tweaking and driver trouble shooting? Also, if so is there any advantage to the 512 meg Nvidia cards? I know LWhas OGL issues...personally I can't currently open scenes with even a handful of image mapped models and use OGL turned on but then I have a 128 meg TI4600. I guess I am hoping LW9 might fix OGL issues...maybe that'sjust wishful thinking .:)

Mostly run LW, PS, etc. Also work on Audio with Apple rigs, but am considering adding this as a PC audio setup with something like 64bit Sonar.

Preferences> XP64, AMD Athalon x2, 4gigs ram-

coremi
01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
well dualcore is the way and it seems AMD X2 is better, thou for the same price you wont get a faster CPU than Intel, but a cooler one for sure. Right now i think is a BAD moment to upgrade, cause we expect new dualcores from Intel also a brand new socket from AMD, M2 wich will also support DDR2. If u don't need a better computer this year i will not upgrade, this is the year with big changes both from Intel and AMD, new sockets, new MB chipsets, new dualcores, Intel already goes 65 nm, we might see new video chipsets, cause in the end of the year once Windows Vista will arrive also Directx 10 will be here.

adrencg
01-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I've stated this in the past, but I'll shout it out again....

Upgrading to dualcore(amd x2) was the best price/performance move I've ever made -- and this is coming from someone who stays on top of chip technology and upgrades with the latest and greatest as soon as possible.

The speed increase I experienced with the x2 far surpasses any other upgrade I've done(with LW 8.5), in modeling, animating, and especially rendering. Video cards are not as important with current versions of LW, but 9.0 supposedly takes advantage of openGL2.0, and will be up to the level of other software in the area of Layout update.

Mike

3DDave
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I think its best to say somewhat below the top and take advantage of the price breaks vs performace gains.

Right now if you got a AMD dual core 2.0 Ghz your rendering alone will almost be twice as fast as a single P4 3.2 Ghz.

Don't want PCI express, get an NForce 3 motherboard and use your existing AGP card, that's what I did. Also your existing DDR 400 will work just fine, no need for DDR2 with the current AMD cores.

Lastly the best upgrade you could do is to get a Sata 300 drive, they are a lot snappier than the Sata 150's and get a Sata 300 drop in card.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.