PDA

View Full Version : Simbiont & Messiah

rago
01-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi there,
I'm a recent buyer of Messiah: studio, and since I'm used to simbiont's procedural materials with my other 3d aps, I wanted to try them out in messiah as well...
The problem is I just can't figure out how to make them work... The site says there something to set with the Environment but I can't figure it out so since there is no contact on the site to ask questions I'm throwing this message in a bottle to you guys:
Can anyone be very specific, "For dummies", to how to make the simbiont shaders work in Messiah?

Thanx.

Wegg
01-25-2006, 03:43 AM
Well. . . you. . .

hmm

I guess I don't know where your stuck.

Did you follow the instructions on how to install the .mp? And the bit about how you have to put all of your .dll files into the "DTE" folder in your messiah/plugins/ folder? Do. . . you know how to create a new custom shader and put the radiance output of the darktree into the radiance input on the custom shader?

I love Darktree. I think you and I might be the only ones using it in Messiah though. :-(

Wireframes
01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
It is a really good news, I didn't know Simbiont procedural works with Messiah. I used it with AM and Lightwave. I just found the plugin from Daniel Stewart here. (http://danielstewart1.home.comcast.net/darktree.htm)

I try it soon :cool:

Phil

rago
01-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Well maybe I'm a bit dunce but after I unfold the simbiont plugin in the messiah plugin folder I kind of get lost. I don't know where to find the .dll files and where to put them!!!
As far as the fixing of the shaders I haven't even got that far yet!

mpc823_99
01-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Actually you can grab the latest from Darksim itself, or here on my site (http://danielstewart1.home.comcast.net/Simbiont_MS.mp)(http://danielstewart1.home.comcast.net/Simbiont_MS.mp). Here's the URL to Darksim's site (http://www.darksim.com/html/download_simbiont2.html) (http://www.darksim.com/html/download_simbiont2.html). The link Wireframes gave is to an older version, which is slower.

I'm not sure where you're having trouble ravo. As Wegg said, you can make a subdirectory called DTE and put the DLLs there. Aternatively, you can set an environment variable to tell the plugin where the component DLLs are at. The environment variable needs to be called "SIMBIONT_COMPONENTS" and contain the directory where the components are located. This is from my website here (http://danielstewart1.home.comcast.net/Darktree.htm).

To add an environment variable in Windows 2000, go to Control Panel->System. Then under the Advanced Tab there is a button for Environment Variables. You can set the variable there.

Daniel

Wireframes
01-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks Daniel for your work

I am testing it

Phil

Wireframes
01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
it works very well !!!

Big thank you to Wegg for his help on IRC :thumbsup:

Phil

rago
01-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanx Daniel,
but what you wrote is what is on the site and since I'm not that technical with pc's and computers in general I really need to know "which .dll to put in which folder under which directory", if you could help with step to step instructions, I'd be very grateful!!!
Thanx Rago.
p.s. I run on xp!

mpc823_99
01-26-2006, 03:06 PM
rago - first you'll need to obtain the Darktree component DLLs. If you own Darktree, then you'll find the files in the Darksim/Components directory. If you do not own Darktree, then you'll need to obtain them another way. (They are NOT included the messiah Simbiont plugin download as I do not have rights to redistribute.) However, you can obtain them by downloading another Simbiont plugin (like Lightwaves) and grab them from there.

Once you have the DLLs you can either
1) create a subdirectory under the mesiah/plugins directory called DTE and put the DLLs there

- or -

2) Set an environment variable in the OS to point to the directory where they reisde (in the case that you own Darktree, you'd just want to point to the DLLs). In Xp you set enviroment variables in Control Panel -> Performance and Maintainence -> System, Advanced Tab where there's a button for environment variables.

Hopefully that gets you started.

Daniel

Wireframes
01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Daniel

Is there a way to view the Simbiont shader from the palette "F5" (materials / shadernodes)

I didn't find anything to do it

Thanks
Phil

Wegg
01-27-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't think you can do it.

Taron's shaders don't show up either.

rago
01-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanx a lot Daniel,
that's what I was missing,
now I'll try it out and see if everything works!
Thanx again!!!

Wireframes
01-27-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't think you can do it.

Taron's shaders don't show up either.

For AoN --> I can view them

ThomasHelzle
01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
The palette doesn't show shaders as such but presets created with them, no matter what shaders used...

I created all the presets that you can see in the AoN-directories in the palette for you. If you save out materials you created with Tarons shaders or Simbiont, you will see them as well. The developers just didn't take the time to create some presets for you ;)

Just be sure to create the needed directories before you start messiah, since it doesn't update the palette when you create folders while it is running...

The location of the directories is .../messiah/modules/materials/...
All the folders you see in the F5 palette are directories under this folder.
You can create as many as you want and put any .mrm files into them to find them in the palette.
The only thing that doesn't work is materials in folders that contain more folders - in that case only the folders are shown, not the materials (at least it was that way the last time I used it).
So be sure to move your presets in folders that have no subfolders below them.

Best regards,

Wireframes
01-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks Thomas for your explaination !
You save me :bounce:

Happy to see you here ;)

kursad_pileksuz
12-26-2006, 03:02 PM
1- This is great!!!
2- Is there any reason why would messiah crash and disappear during render? It looks like everything works fine, but when it comes to render, messiah just passes away.

From my own trial, what i found is that, darksim plugin crashes messiah during render when the surface is attached to an imported polygon model. All the tests i did with messiah`s primitives has not casued any crashed so far. I get crashes with polygon .lwo objects

kursad_pileksuz
12-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Will there be any update on this plugin?

thanks

lanosrep1
12-18-2007, 03:07 AM
Hi Kursad,

I just tried the dsts that you can download from the Darktree site and they seem to work ( I used a .obj exported from LW).. I did get one crash as you stated (with a procedural sphere, actually).. just like yours.. no warning and Messiah disappeared.. But not every time... maybe it was the specific .dsts .. not sure..

Are you making sure the .lwo is metanurbed before trying to shade and render?.. i'm sure you probably are.. that one has bit me several times before.. get a crash with that every time too!!

EDIT: just tried copying the shader..and poof.. Messiah was gone..

To be honest I, have never played with these shaders.. should have.. they are really nice.. Now I just need the full app to make my own!!

G.

1- This is great!!!
2- Is there any reason why would messiah crash and disappear during render? It looks like everything works fine, but when it comes to render, messiah just passes away.

From my own trial, what i found is that, darksim plugin crashes messiah during render when the surface is attached to an imported polygon model. All the tests i did with messiah`s primitives has not casued any crashed so far. I get crashes with polygon .lwo objects

mpc823_99
12-19-2007, 02:36 AM
Honestly, it depends on if there's enough need for it. I don't yet know if I'll upgrade to the new messiah - depends on cost. And I don't know how much time I'll have to work on plugins. And it appears that the nodal system in messiah is not only quite nice, but provides things that the Darktree plugin can't - like certain displacement mappings. Perhaps a new SDK from pmG would help here. Is there anyone still using this and does anyone want it updated?

Daniel

Will there be any update on this plugin?

thanks

rago
12-19-2007, 12:29 PM
I still use them in some projects, I find it time saving, especially when I can't get my hands on images to make my materials.
Thanx

lanosrep1
12-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes!!! I have just discovered your plug and am thrilled to see it.. please.. if you can find the time.. continue to develop.. The more plugin developers we have, the better!!!
G.

Is there anyone still using this and does anyone want it updated?

Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2007, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.