PDA

View Full Version : Animation Mentor Assignment with messiah

My Fault
01-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Well I am finishing up the first Animation Mentor assignment of the quarter using messiah. It will be finalled next week and there is still a ton to fix. Wanted to get at least one messiah animation up before I part with it. Definitely plan on coming back to the fold when I can.

Week 2 - 1st Refining Pass (http://www.briannicolucci.com/animation/Week2-HiatusSM.mov)
Requires Quicktime 7 to View

Any critiques are very welcome and appreciated.

Wegg
01-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Cool Brian. Looks like that course really pushes you. You have some nice moevement in there.

Sorry to hear your leaving the fold. Even if it is only for a while.

Sniffet
01-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey Brain! How did you transfer Bishop to messiah?!!? And what benefit do you see from animating in messiah instead of maya.. (Im super happy with the stewie/bishop rigs in maya)

You fellow class 3 student ;) (I would be in class 4 by now, but had too much work lately, so I took a leave of abscence).

Really cool animation btw!

/Regards Peter K

My Fault
01-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I threw together a quick simple rig of Bishop in messiah. Doesn't quite have all the controls of the Maya rig yet but was able to go from zero to animating in about 3 hours. He is pretty much all IK, with muscle bones everywhere, so every part of his body can stretch to his hearts content. I then spit out blendshapes from the original Maya rig for the lip sync.

I hadn't actually intended to do the assignment in Maya but the machine I had access to only had messiah installed. I ended up rigging from 9-noon, then animated the whole scene from scratch from about 1pm to 2am, with a few hours off for food and family time.

Today I plan on putting some more blendshapes for brows and eyes and pssibly adding an additional level of controls so I can bend his arms and legs a bit. Also want to fix the shoulder issues.

For me messiah has much greater feedback then Maya. In Maya to see what is really going on I have to playblast but in messiah I can view it in realtime, which is a nice timesaver. I do have to say the new version of the Bishop rig (in Maya) is much improved over the original one. Wait until next quarter when you get a hold of the facial controls, woooo doggie they are nice!

Julez4001
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Nice stuff Brian
Wondered what happen to you?
Please show us new stuff when you can.

My Fault
01-26-2006, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Still a heap to do by the deadline on Sunday. Hope to clean up the lipsync and finish off the face completely tomorrow, will post my progress. Then it is off to finish the body animation. The bone throw is a bit floaty as are the picking of the teeth an dthe flick. If I have time I will have him chew the bone a bit in the beginning.

One weird thing I ran across is offsetting audio. It works fine when I just play it in the viewport but whenever I do a record preview, it ignores my offset audio settings and just starts the audio from 0. Sounds like a bit of a bug. Anyone else seen this?

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.