PDA

View Full Version : GridIron question, masters and slaves....

bravmm
01-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi All,

After getting no respons from the boys themself, I'm trying my luck here...

We have several AE workstations running at our office, and depending on the workflow and people, machines are randomly used. In addition to this I have some renderslaves in the serverroom I would like to add in the mix.

After reading the gridiron manual I'm a bit confused about the following. You can install Gridiron as a workstation or slave setup. But with our mix 'n match situation this is a bit of a problem. I want to sit down behind any one of the available AE workstations (master), and have all other available (at this time) pc's running AE(renderengine) and Gridiron to participate in the renderjobs (slaves). We're not "stuck" on fixed locations for several tasks. Also a lot of software is running on floating licenses, so it doens't matter where you sit down....

Do I understand the manual incorrectly, or is this a limitation within our present workflow and the use of Gridiron.
I would like to give Gridiron a go, but don't feel like running in circles due to limitations.

cheers,

rob

payton
01-24-2006, 03:52 PM
hi bravmm,
the difference between workstations and render nodes is that render nodes will startup "afterfx.com" as a process when booting. this ensures that ae is opened when a renderjob comes up and the time to load ae is saved.

install x-factor as workstation on everymachine that are people working on. so no ram will be lost while they are working. only install as dedicated render node on machines which are renderslaves (no monitor, keyboard...) and wont be used by artists.

good luck,
payton

bravmm
01-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Payton,

Thanks for the reply. I will have a reread of the manual and give it a go....

cheers,

rob

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 01:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.