PDA

View Full Version : Paramount buys rival Dreamworks

rickmann
01-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Not sure if this is old news or not!

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4519012.stm

Hollywood giant Paramount Pictures has bought one of its best-known rival studios, Dreamworks SKG.

Viacom, which owns Paramount, has agreed to pay $1.6bn (914m; 1.36bn euros) - more than $1bn in cash, plus taking over Dreamworks' debts.

It gives the company the talents of one of the most famous filmmakers in the world, ET director Steven Spielberg.

And it appears to show that even a top name like Mr Spielberg cannot create a new independent film studio these days.

Dreamworks was established 11 years ago to combine three talents in the world of film, animation and music - Spielberg, David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg.

Spielberg is known around the world for directing huge Hollywood hits like Jaws and Schindler's List. Mr Geffen had been a top record producer and Mr Katzenberg a leading light at Disney.

more here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4519012.stm

PEACE!!

WillRyan
01-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Looks like all the major Hollywood studios want an animation division to call there own. The landscape of film and animation is happening at a rapid pace.

I'm sure acquiring first look at all of Spielberg's future projects is the main draw, but how much of this purchase was for the rights to distribute Dreamworks Animation? It sounds like a sweet deal, not having to take the risk of financing 60-80 million a film, but still making the return on the distribution deal. Would Paramount have any say on the creative end, or is it purely a deal like Lucas had with Fox for the new Star Wars trilogy?

malcolmTG
01-24-2006, 03:56 AM
the article says that dreamworks animation is apparently going to stay its own entity, so i wonder what will happen with that. i would love to see future stuff from them, but i wonder if the quality will drop with less financial backing of if theyll just stop existing overall. hopefully theyll flourish and make new stuff, but i guess only time will tell.

DevilHacker
01-24-2006, 04:00 AM
Not sure if this is old news or not!...Its news to me!
Did not see this one coming...
:eek:

Terrell
01-24-2006, 04:37 AM
It gives the company the talents of one of the most famous filmmakers in the world, ET director Steven Spielberg.

Of course, there's nothing keeping Spielberg from taking a walk, leaving Paramount without his talents.

rickmann
01-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Its news to me!
Did not see this one coming...
:eek:

AMEN to that! Anyone here from Dreamworks got any new news?

It sucks for my company, even though were not in the animation business we still get alot of work from them! And now it seems like it we won't get any of it!

:(

gunslingerblack
01-24-2006, 05:36 AM
ive heard of this i believe sometime last week but, i was told in confidence so i didn't bother posting it online, no surprise here

good think pdi remains separate

RobertoOrtiz
01-24-2006, 05:38 AM
Old topic..

Paramount to Purchase DreamWorks SKG for $1.6 Billion (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=301797&highlight=dreamworks)

-R