PDA

View Full Version : Creature Modeling Reel Miguel ortega

elfufu
01-24-2006, 02:02 AM
Hey all wanted to show my new site and New demo reel, including all the work i did on UnderWorld Evolutions. #1 at the box office :cool:

I modeled and Textured the Werewolves, and the Wings on Live Action marcus as you can see by the images i uploaded. I did a bunch of other things which you can see by accessing my reel

Click Here To view my new site (http://www.warproductions.com/reel/Lquicktime.htm)
AND MAKE SURE YOU SEE THE REEL not just the static images..
hope you guys like it.

Miguel

EDIT: please make sure you read the shot breakdown..I am a modeler and Texture artist only,these shots are the result of a great team of animators, modelers, compositors and dynamics guys working towards the same goal..

http://www.vfxtalk.com/feature/luma_pictures/underworld2/wwf_tunnel.jpg

http://www.vfxtalk.com/feature/luma_pictures/underworld2/wwf_hero.jpg

http://www.vfxtalk.com/feature/luma_pictures/underworld2/wwf_wolf.jpg

fx81
01-24-2006, 03:26 AM
:applause:
wow great modeling and realistic texturing, very inspiring indeed :bounce: this deserves more than five stars

btw, was there any nurbs patch modeling involved in any of the models in UW or all based from polygon then zbrush ?

elfufu
01-24-2006, 03:33 AM
thanks , all polys... :) models and textures were done in zbrush

Riash
01-24-2006, 05:11 AM
:buttrock: Whoah! Very cool stuff man. * - There! that makes 6 stars! Can I ask what is the approximate production time on any one of those characters? Like the winged character that breaks through the window. What's the breakup of modeling and texturing time?
Great stuff - thanks for sharing. I've got to check out Underworld Evolutions now. Would also be great to see some wires if that's possible.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- Riash Shahnawaz.

elfufu
01-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Hey thanks for the Kind words...I will post more info as soon as i have a sec to write ...gotta work..

you can read more about it here:
http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4696

my_mo
01-25-2006, 06:40 AM
WHAAAAAAAAAA... thatīs really really awesome stuff !!!

CONGRATULATIONS !!! :applause:

Heber
01-25-2006, 07:40 AM
great work miguel!
i checked your site as well lots of cool stuff there too.
mucha suerte, :cool:

ROWAN
01-25-2006, 09:28 AM
This stuff is fantastic man!!! we rarely see feature reels on this forum. Nice to see how its done.

ZippZopp
01-25-2006, 06:09 PM
nice one miguel....it was a pleasure working with you for the length of that show... hopefully we can work again in the future

taves
01-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Agreed with everyone. That's a 5-star performace. Went to see Underworld too, and I remember thinking how great the Special Effects team must be. The texturing is top-notch, really well done. Best of luck on future projects.

Esteviezer
01-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Madness man! This is completely madness!!!
I've nothing to say but amazing work! You don't see this modeling and texturing abilities everyday. Five stars from me!

Nux
01-26-2006, 04:35 AM
wow wow wow. really top notch!

elfufu
01-26-2006, 06:25 AM
thanks a ton guys really appreciate the kind words...especially petrovsky's
that old pooch..

Escopos
01-26-2006, 07:14 AM
This stuff is great! I just watched "Underworld Unleashed" 2 days ago. Great fun! I'm big fan of the stuff you and other people have done at Luma Pictures recently. I see you are at Rhythm & Hues now, well congradulations on the new job.

For a second there I even thought you where going to be one of the guys to speak at the Pixologic get together the 26th (tomorow) at Gnoman. I've been learning Zbrush and am excited with it ...

Its great to know that companies like "Luma Pictures" are starting to adapt Zbrush into their pipeline. It just seems to be much more intuitive than doing every modeling aspect in a conventional 3d package like maya or softimage ... woops look at me! I'm rambling! Ok enough! Once more, great work! Cheers! :thumbsup:

JBoskma
01-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Sweetness, something to be proud of!

Riash
01-27-2006, 01:40 AM
:bounce:Awesome! You made front page! Keep an eye on that bandwith meter and watch it skyrocket. Well deserved miguel. Hope we see some wires here as well if that's possible.

- Riash Shahnawaz.

csmallfield
01-27-2006, 02:03 AM
awesome worked man, I loved the movie.

The thing I'm amazed about is that Luma let's you guys use this stuff in reels so soon after the movie release. You have to wait til it comes out on DVD for most studios. My friend and ex-roomate has his work up on his site as well.

very cool stuff.

-Chris

depleteD
01-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Clearly professional.
How long does it take to model and textuere a film quality creature?

cat33
01-27-2006, 02:31 AM
YOOOO! i opened up the net and saw underworld on frontpage and then saw ur name!!! COOL SHIT! hope we can hang out soon. its been awhile. The movie kicked ass btw.

congrats on frontpage.
laters.......
cat :bounce:

hellgatemedia
01-27-2006, 02:39 AM
I really liked the transformations in the beginning sequence.
As they started to burn the bodies, and the lycans started to turn, just that violent, I guess that woudl be the word, this violent and immediate transformation. Totally bad ass.
I loved that whole visual, and than I also liked the movements of the lycans, especially in the tunnel sequence, where the lycan kind of rides along the side of the tunnel as he barrels down the tunnel towards seline. But I also liked the movements as they lunged onto the horses, especially that one shot where the lycan, totally like a true animal, just starts tearing away at the horse and the vampire.
I see that you also did the beheading sequence for Kraven, another great shot. Definitely realistic

Immortal1490
01-27-2006, 02:55 AM
absolutely astounding work!

ENL
01-27-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't even have words....I just started 3d with Maya and if I can get at least 1/100 of your skill, id be happy for the rest of my life...lol

angel
01-27-2006, 03:03 AM
Great work Miguel. Now I'm more interested to see the film :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
01-27-2006, 03:32 AM
Great stuff Miguel!

Its great to see some old timers go to places :)

Ackdoh
01-27-2006, 03:43 AM
So much exposure so fast! A truely talented modeler, charismatically funny and witty to work with! Petrovsky too, you guys were great. Many many long hours in our small but strong studio! The work at Luma definately paid off just in these screenshots ^^

Glad you're coming on board to R&H as well! Well deserved spot.

ndat
01-27-2006, 03:44 AM
I saw the movie, I thought marcus was quite remarkable. The work on the lycans was ace too, they really felt freaking scary and pretty unique even though they used the clasic design.

Icarus
01-27-2006, 05:01 AM
holy cow, thats some really really really impressive work, may i ask what kind of turn around there was on the warewolf models? from start > finish?

tilite
01-27-2006, 05:15 AM
Wow thats some great stuff... congrats man. Just one question;

Why is the winged beast vertically static when he is flying. You know how winged creatures float up and down as the power of their wings heaves them into the air.

Just wanted to know why you guys haven't done that in the movie... was it the director's decision?

btw i really wnat to see this flick

:D

-tilite

anim8or_7
01-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Amazing work! Geez, Miguel, that is some truly breathtaking stuff. I am gald too see that the they opted for CG werewolves in the sequel. I really want to go see it now.

If it is possible, could you tell us what textures sizes you were working with? How many textures per character? Handpainted or manipulated photographs? I will completely understand if you can't tell me - so please don't feel obliged to.

Thanks for showing us your work. Great stuff!

Briareos
01-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Why is the winged beast vertically static when he is flying. You know how winged creatures float up and down as the power of their wings heaves them into the air.

-tilite

>_________________<

.... duh! anti-grave boots... silly!

csmallfield
01-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Wow thats some great stuff... congrats man. Just one question;

Just wanted to know why you guys haven't done that in the movie... was it the director's decision?

btw i really wnat to see this flick

:D

-tilite

it was because the man part of the bat dude, wasn't cg, just the wings. There are limited movements you can make with a mechanical arm and a guy in a harness. Many of the scenes they were able to get a little of it in. Limitations of the real world :)

Kragen
01-27-2006, 07:05 AM
on your demo reel whats the name of the song you use great job by the way

Milho
01-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Incredible work! I just love the design of the flying guy. Btw who did animate him?

This reel really made me curious about the movie! Visually it's worth only cause of your work :applause:

elfufu
01-27-2006, 07:38 AM
I cant lie ive always wanted to have something on the front page... :) big honor
of course this was not possible without the talented crew at Luma Pictures.. All i did was the Modeling and Texturing the real Magic was a combined effort.
thanks guys.

Riash: yeah its taking up alot of bandwidth 51,000 page views in 3 days... kinda scary..its a good thing to have a friend as a weh hosting company... with unlimited (lets see for how long) bandwidth

csmallfield: They allow us to show stuff as soon as the movie is released.. maybe they didnt expect so much exposure... who knows... good thing they did though cause i got a job preety quick because of it.

depleteD: The wolves took a bit since it was a learning experience for me, right out of school :) .. the wings were much faster.

cat33: you old pooch , tell Caj i say hi

hellgatemedia: dang you got photo memory...the animators were top notch...

Sheep Factory: thanks homie

Ackdoh: dude theres no one i owe more to that you , you old pooch, see you monday..

tilite: limitations of the actual rig.... asmentioned by csmallfield

anim8or_7: all textures were done at 8K then scaled down depending on the shot... Textured Entirely in Zbrush..PRE-ZAPPLINK DAYS...so NO LAYERS! just Simple Brush AHHHH

Kragen: the song is Minas Photo from the Coppola Dracula SoundTrack..

Milho: there was a team of animators Animating him.. i believe every animator on staff had at least 1 shot with the winged beast.. check the Credits on IMDB for further Info,, they are top notch animators, and great guys/ friends

lilmike
01-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Amazing work, absolutely stunning. Loved the movie also. I especialy liked the two different types of werwolves you made. Your stuff inspires guys like me wanting to get into the industry, to strive for better models. Hope to see more of your work in the future.

DimitrisLiatsos
01-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Yeah...that is so great. I went last night to see the movie and i was so impressed by the modeling and texturing on the shots u have posted .

Yes...work to be proud of.... :buttrock:

P.S : Hope to see more of your work soon. :beer:

lukx
01-27-2006, 08:02 AM
grate job, huge talent, can't wait to see the movie. :thumbsup:

-Vormav-
01-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Very nice reel.
I kinda wish I could get a closer look at some of the morphs with those werewolves. Those seemed to be done very well (yeah yeah, nice modeling, too ;) ).

ffourier
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
this is probably one of the most impressive reel i've ever seen. So realistic !
Congratulations, this is just amazing job.

swag
01-27-2006, 10:25 AM
scary stuff :bounce:

Abyssis
01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
I cant lie ive always wanted to have something on the front page... :) big honor.....

How I said on ZBC: you rocks, Miguel :thumbsup:
congratZZZ :applause:

Lingolas
01-27-2006, 11:17 AM
whoah, u did those VFX in the movie, Underworld: Evolution? honestly, it looks really, really awesome, the werewolf rocks! it's a pleasure to meet u!

Vympel
01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Very great stuff, Are you can talk about the pipeline for transformations

Gurani
01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Man thats the miracle of 3D. I love it... :buttrock:

Pentagramma
01-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Excellent work! Five stars for sure...

djhush
01-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Astounding work. It makes me really happy to see so much talent. Thanks for writing the apps you've worked with.
soo nice :applause: :applause: :bounce:

ChristopherP
01-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Awesome work on that movie Miguel!!

The only thing that puzzled me about the reel is that it looks more like the movie trailer instead of being a "real" reel (showing breakdowns etc). It would be really cool to see more of those breakdowns of the work you did for the movie!

Guess now i'll have to go and see the movie ;)

J.M.Schwedt
01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
That's impressive! Great Work!

Tilstrom
01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
very cool work, well done. :cool:

Jackdeth
01-27-2006, 03:45 PM
"The Lycans from Underworld Evolutions were Modeled and textured by Me,"

I'm not trying to stir up the pot, but I was under the impression that some other very talented artists also worked on those models too, but judging by your site it would seem to have been only a solo-effort... is that true?

powerACE
01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
:buttrock: You'RE tHe CoOoOOooOLEST! :buttrock:

:applause:

stuh505
01-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Wow, I would not think it was CG but cosmetics because it looks so physically real

one crit though: the wingbeats are way too slow, it looks like it's just levitating

Faras
01-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I see that you also did the beheading sequence for Kraven, another great shot.

Well, that spoiled a piece of my expectance....
Anyways, incredible work, can't wait till the movie makes theatres here... Thumbs up :thumbsup:

satch919
01-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Awesome work. I wish I could do stuff like that. :bowdown:

PhuongDPh
01-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Wish I could do that !!!
MASTER !!! of course http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif 5 for you

But why don't you creat some character like Saaya Irie http://k.1asphost.com/phls/smilies/5.gif
or like this : http://k.1asphost.com/phls/mylove02.jpg (http://k.1asphost.com/phls/mylove02.jpg) he he http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif instead of monsters

Antropus
01-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Really great stuff man. Nice to meet you yesterday at the ZBrush meeting :)

Keep it up!
-Kris

cJaynes
01-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Love the models and great website.... except why is you resume in .gif format? Haha I was blown away by that, such a great looking website and then that!

Still great models with a demo reel like that im sure you don't need to post a resume!

HellBoy
01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
absolutly amazing. Well done mate

This is why I chose this career, to one day do something like that :)

well done again :thumbsup:

Magius
01-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Very impressive... good job man! love it! :thumbsup:

VonMarsch
01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
5 stars man! I really love your work, nice to finaly know who is the wizard behind this movie. Did you also work on the first Underworld movie?

jake_$teed
01-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Wow. Nice work on the Lycans.

It's pretty rare that one person, single handedly, would model and texture a creature at a place the size of Luma. You're the man!

akin
01-27-2006, 09:56 PM
fantastic stuff

Kyena
01-27-2006, 10:16 PM
wow - awesome :)
Looking forward to see the movie!

Levitateme
01-27-2006, 10:29 PM
No wires? Not even on your site no wires?

ELCALVO
01-27-2006, 10:38 PM
I love your work man, you're one of the best modelers i've ever seen in my country.

Five stars for me!!!

Cheers From Colombia...

ChadJay
01-28-2006, 12:11 AM
amazing modeling miguel... i hope i get the chance to move one of your creatures around some day. the depth of detail you achieve is just crazy sick.

freka01
01-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Wow, thats really cool and it looks so real! I really have to see that movie =)

PhillipCrond
01-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Good to see you last night, home slice. Still using that same old music on your reel eh? Anyway, it's amazing work, of course. It's great to see you doing that level of work, and get the recognition you deserve. Very very cool.

spyx
01-28-2006, 10:14 AM
I saw the movie yesterday, and I was incredibly impressed with the graphics (even if the storyline needed a bit more to it than... "they chase each other around, and fight").

Little did I know I'd view the post of someone who worked on it!

Fantastic stuff!

With the Lycan tackling the horse shot, was a stuntman in a blue/green suit used to jump on the horse or did the horse get commanded to fall over?

Awesome :)

Jakob L.
01-28-2006, 11:05 AM
woah, that's awesome,

5 star (;

Buexe
01-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Absolutely Fantastic!!! Congratulations to you and all other team members.

PS: Are the horses ok? Seemed to have the toughest job ; )

KaDDD
01-28-2006, 05:05 PM
pffff ! ! ! it to easy to make that ! !!
u just need to be a god ! !

really impressive demo , i like all the little details !! the transformation is very amazing! !
perfect job , no crtk , it's excellent

10 stars isn't possible , just 5 . . . .

cecio
01-28-2006, 06:40 PM
mhh.. uhh.. ugh,,,..,. wordless... ...

Tut Ankh Amon
01-28-2006, 10:07 PM
man, i'm so very glad that this time they didn't use only animatronics for the creatures, the last movie was terrible because of that :lol:

awesome work :)

Ahmattu
01-29-2006, 12:29 AM
top quality models, insane graphics.

but I always wonder why this much of ugliness everywhere, thats too ugly, why?

50000 stars anyway:rolleyes:

reven
01-29-2006, 01:26 AM
just read the other thread on Underworld...i wondered if i had seen the same movie...glad i found this thread!

i saw it twice this week...to watch the awesome work! will no doubt see it a few more! definate improvement on the first Underworld...and it seems to me that your work is responsible for that! Congrats!

elfufu
01-29-2006, 01:31 AM
WOW 90,000 views in 6 days... my server is gonna blowup, i cant believe its handeled this amount fo traffic..without dying...i guess there are perks to having been a web designer with very good weh hosting friends...

lilmike: remember i only modeled the Main Lycans, then the body was reused for the white werewolves the head and chest of the white werewolf were modeled by Ben Neall

Christopher P: they didnt give me access to those files unfortunatly.. remember also the whole point of wireframes are to confirm that the model would be animatable, as you can see it was..

Jackdeth: check PM

LATROMMI_SUINEG: yes much preetier but i would need for you to come and pose for me in my studio... :)

Antropus: same to you dude. next time youre in LA we go out i buy you some of that brazilian beer.

cJaynes: GIFs are cool, im keeping it old school... just cause i can ;)

Niten: far from the wizard my friend... just the model texture guy.. the wizards start with P & V

jake_$teed: yes its rare but not so rare in smaller companies..

Levitateme: sorry they wont permit it... i know it sucks..

ELCALVO: colombians taking over :)

Olliewannabe: send me a reel to your work

Brent Turbo: yeah u 2 homie... ya same music , you know i like to go with the whole im mysteriously evil thing. :)

spyx: no the animators were so amazing that they made the werewolf seem like he was really pushing him down. the village attack sequences were animated by some very talented guys.

m@lonet: far from a god theres 4000 people on this forum that make me cry when i see their work.. i just got lucky and got a good opportunity

Tut Ankh Amon: dont say that to the traditionalist.. many people hate cg. i think in this film its better used.

Ahmattu: because this isnt the my little pony movie, but a vampire and werewolf movie.. :)

Ahmattu
01-29-2006, 02:38 AM
because this isnt the my little pony movie, but a vampire and werewolf movie.. :)

it was a general question, why the evil is very popular nowadays, I want your answer as an expert in this industry.

elfufu
01-29-2006, 03:21 AM
it was a general question, why the evil is very popular nowadays, I want your answer as an expert in this industry.

who knows..... i dont know if its evil but the controlled fear that people like...
the fear of all this evil that ends in 2 hours...

its like a roller coaster ride and the thrill in that.

spyx
01-29-2006, 03:23 AM
spyx: no the animators were so amazing that they made the werewolf seem like he was really pushing him down. the village attack sequences were animated by some very talented guys.

m@lonet: far from a god theres 4000 people on this forum that make me cry when i see their work.. i just got lucky and got a good opportunity

It's amazing work :) Love it! I did notice that the Lycan was forced to "pull" the horse down, rather than push... just by the way the horse was falling...

Can't wait to see more of your work - I didn't need to watch porn the other day, just went through your website! :P

4000 people on these forums make really bad work or good work? I think either could possibly make you cry :P

zareh
01-29-2006, 08:07 AM
great job Miguel!!!
it was an honor and a pleasure for me to be in your ZBrush class for the past 10 weeks or so. You're a great teacher as well as a great artist. ZBrush is now a part of my toolset, thanks to you.
Best Regards,
Zareh

PhuongDPh
01-29-2006, 10:49 AM
elfufu: sir, I am sorry, I'm not female, I'm a ugly guy http://k.1asphost.com/phls/smilies/5.gif
maybe you will need me as a reference to creat monsters http://k.1asphost.com/phls/smilies/5.gif

Kong kong na
01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
really cool modeling and texture..:thumbsup:

Loulu79
01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
That demo is sick! I mean...it got me thinking...all because of the music...so macabre because it's so realistic looking...I want to also comment on the animators...done extreeeeeeeeemely well. I can't say enough.

You already going to more places w/ your work, man!:thumbsup:

XianPalintir
01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
WOW!!... Excelente reel, muy bueno, en serio. Jamas me imagine ver el trabajo de un compatriota tan destacado en un foro como este. COLOMBIA RULZZ!!

Awesome, no words, this is me right now: :eek:

Xian...SuEtEr

wild-paradox
01-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Very impressive work. I'm excited about this film, but I haven't gotten to see it yet. Luma Pictures has really made a name for themselves with their last couple of films. Your modeling and texturing are really supurb.

Congrats on the front page.

NOOB!
01-29-2006, 11:36 PM
yeh teh animatronix where crappy in underworld,glad there more cg in evolution, great job,i'll catch this on dvd.

Sean121
01-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Simply amazing Miguel!

I watched the movie just to see your effects:beer:

ward
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
hey, you have some nice stuff on your reel.

But I have to admit, I am very amazed you were not bounded by NDA and managed to give away so much from this very fresh movie. or you are just too brave ....

basti
01-30-2006, 02:18 PM
hi miguel

excellent reel! the only thing i would crit is the bad tracking of the wings in one of the last shots. but it has nothing to do with your modeling and texturing :)

basti

jjcoolio
01-31-2006, 11:40 PM
truely beautiful work. Congratulations for the FP! I am very looking forward to see the movie. I have been a big fan for episode I. The reel looks awesome and I have no doubt that the movie will,too. Outstanding reel and fantastic, inspiring work!
regards
Jinwoo Lee

OhNine
02-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Wow....that was amazing.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this and maybe it's just me, but when the winged creature is attacking the truck, the light in the environment suddenly dims.

But other than that, it was fantastic!

5 stars! :thumbsup:

elfufu
02-02-2006, 05:25 AM
your work my friend is the inspirational one... nurbs? ....you are a bad mo fo my man...:buttrock:

truely beautiful work. Congratulations for the FP! I am very looking forward to see the movie. I have been a big fan for episode I. The reel looks awesome and I have no doubt that the movie will,too. Outstanding reel and fantastic, inspiring work!
regards
Jinwoo Lee

NickWhitmire
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Obviously,

Really really really good. Jesus, defenitely one of the better modeling reels I've ever seen.

-thanks for showing it off

Nick Whitmire
http://www.nickwhitmire.com

pepelepuke
02-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice work miguel, THUMBS UP...!

Bryn
02-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Just Gotta say, I really like your stuff,

its sweet bro

B

elfufu
02-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks all..

spyx: man i still look through the work on this site and some of it makes me wanna quit.
zareh: the aluminum foil man....thanks alot dude good having you in class. you made me laugh :)

LATROMMI_SUINEG: OOPS sorry dude...time to change that Avatar... ;)
Loulu79: ya that music is my favorite, i used it on my reel since my first one back in school
XianPalintir: yes the colombians are invading cgtalk
wild-paradox: yes Luma has a bright future....
Sean121: thanks man i owe you a ticket price
ward: not brave, i was given permission.. i would NEVER post any work without permission.

redcore
02-14-2006, 10:19 PM
what would we do without zbrush ...:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 10:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.