PDA

View Full Version : Squash and Stretch tail

JamSession
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I have a bull character that the tail needs to squash and stretch sorta like Packageman spine. The problem is I am a student and have no clue on how to go about doing it. I was hoping you guys may have some helpful inputs or workarounds of doing it.
Thank You so much,

john_homer
01-23-2006, 09:23 PM
have a search around for a "stretchy spine" tutorial.. I'm sure there is one out there...

there is a script by jason shleifer that basically does it for ya...

not sure if its on his site www.jonhandhisdog.com or if it came with his alias DVD...

.j

JamSession
01-24-2006, 02:56 AM
have a search around for a "stretchy spine" tutorial.. I'm sure there is one out there...

there is a script by jason shleifer that basically does it for ya...

not sure if its on his site www.jonhandhisdog.com (http://www.jonhandhisdog.com) or if it came with his alias DVD...

.j

I own the packageman scripts and the howto pdf but when it talks about how to do the spine, it says that it is jason's way and they can't explain it since it is his way. Since I used it on the spine, it won't let me reuse it for the tail. I just want to beable to pull out the tail and push it in while still having the fk rotates.

ashishdantu
01-24-2006, 07:21 AM
hi Jamsession,

try this : u can rig ur tail .. with a spline IK.. and then u select the splineIK's curve (curve1) in ur outliner..

then u select the curve and type : arclen -ch 1; and it creates a curveInfo node, which basically reads and displays ur curve1's length. this info u can use to translate ur tail bones. then u create a mutliply node (i'll call it MDNs) -name it 'FactorMDN 'and plug the curveInfo node's arcLen attrib into the FactorMDN's input1X and then copy this input1X's value into the input2X box and set this FactorMDN to divide.. this is ur factor giver - like tell u how much the original length of the spline IK's curve has changed..

then u create another MDN and name it 'tailBoneScaler1' and then u connect the outputX of the FactorMDN to the input1X of the tailBoneScaler1 node. and i prefer to translate the bones to scale the mesh.. so now see that axis of the tail bone points down towards its chidl bone.. and say its TY, then select ur first tail bone, and copy the value of the TY and paste this into the input2X box of the tailBoneScaler1 node. then u connect the outputX of this tailBoneScaler1 node to ur tailBone1's TY........ this way when u modify the length of the spline Ik curve's length (thrugh clusters parented to proper anim ctrls), the curve length changes , this updates the 'tailBoneScaler1' node and it multiplies the default TY of ur bone, with the new change factor and thus ur bone gets moved to a new TY position.. there by stretching ur bone chain.. apply nodes like our 'tailBoneScaler1' > to every bone and u shud be able to stretch/ squash ur tail..

hope this helps ?

JamSession
01-24-2006, 10:05 PM
The first time I read that I was confused so confused, but when i opened up maya and followed it, WOW, thank you so much. I have no idea how in the world you figured that out but it works great. thanks.

ashishdantu
01-25-2006, 03:41 AM
hi jamsession,

geeee.. gud that it helped..u.. i also tuk off much hair of my scalp, the first time, i tried it .... but this is much of a routine thing i do now............ but best thing is, this piece of workflow, now allows me to kinda attempt all things thru utility nodes.. they r gud !...

cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 03:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.