PDA

View Full Version : Green Screen Spill Over

tb582
01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I recently shot some footage of myself on a green-screen, unfortunately I didn't have a keyer available. I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 to edit the footage together and to key out the green screen, but I'm getting some spillover, any suggestions on the best way to clean the spillover up? It looks pretty good if I have a black background but if I change it to white that's when you can really see the spillover.

I can also work in After Effects 6.5 Pro but I figured while I was editing it in Premiere I might as well key the green out to....

ehoch
01-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Spill control is just a matter of desaturating pixels that fall within a range of spilled hues (centered around green in this case). If Premiere Pro has anything like Photoshop's Replace Color you will be able to do a spill suppress without a keyer. Just select the green as the replaced color and pull down the saturation until it looks good.

But in all honesty, you should probably handle your keying inside AE, because keying is serious business that should not be taken lightly.

Mylenium
01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I recently shot some footage of myself on a green-screen, unfortunately I didn't have a keyer available. I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 to edit the footage together and to key out the green screen, but I'm getting some spillover, any suggestions on the best way to clean the spillover up? It looks pretty good if I have a black background but if I change it to white that's when you can really see the spillover.

I can also work in After Effects 6.5 Pro but I figured while I was editing it in Premiere I might as well key the green out to....

Have you tried using Premiere's built-in color correction to eliminate the offending pixels? If that doesn't work, you should try to do it in AE as ehoch suggested. I don't know how good Premiere'S keyer is, but would assume that Keylight in combination with some other effects in AE would do a better job.

Mylenium

beenyweenies
01-24-2006, 06:01 PM

It's odd to me that you notice the spill more on a white BG than a black one. Green spill is usually much more noticable against a dark backgdrop, because the color values stand out more.

Are you sure what you're seeing is spill, and not just heavy feathering of your edges, which is letting the white BG come through on your edges and pollute colors?

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 06:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.