PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vray VS Maxwell

michaeli
01-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Just found this. The registration is free

http://www.treddi.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16020

ThomasAn.
01-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I notice that the little back room (on top of the stairs) is not illuminated in any of the Vray tests. Also, the light on the floor is more yellow on the Vray images. Does anyone know how to remedy for those two matters ? (I am new to Vray)

Thanks

Ernest Burden
01-24-2006, 01:10 AM
I notice that the little back room (on top of the stairs) is not illuminated in any of the Vray tests.

It is, but not as much. And the vRay shadow shapes are a bit more rounded. Otherwise, the illumination is remarkably similar. I also noticed the yellow right away. It does not seem to make the bounced light look different as you would expect if the sunlight were more yellow.

That guy has put some serious time and effort into those tests.

Thomas--are you a Cinema user, or did you stumble in here because of the thread title? We C4Ders are not on the list (yet?) of vRay connected persons.

ThomasAn.
01-24-2006, 01:44 AM
are you a Cinema user, or did you stumble in here ...

Yeah, I am in the wrong place... the topic came up in a Vray search. I am too green on vray so anything helps.

But I think the illumination is different... the back room and yellow light bother me quite a bit... However, Vray is very flexible ... there should be a way to remedy this. I suspect possibly to boost the multiplier for the secondary engine to about 1.5 or so. I have noticed in my tests that Vray light falls off faster than expected. (...and it has not to do with gamma adjastment).

Anyway, sorry for interloping.

thev
01-24-2006, 07:39 AM
The yellow sunlight is because of the HSV exponential color mapping in the V-Ray image, while maxwell typically applies only some slight gamma correction (in total about 1.375 with default settings). This is why the burnt out areas look white in maxwell and yellow in V-Ray (V-Ray preserves their original hue).

thev
01-24-2006, 07:44 AM
I have noticed in my tests that Vray light falls off faster than expected. (...and it has not to do with gamma adjastment).Here is a discussion on V-Ray light falloff, which demonstrates that is behaves as expected: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=110398&highlight=light+decay#110398

michaeli
01-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Here is a discussion on V-Ray light falloff, which demonstrates that is behaves as expected: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=110398&highlight=light+decay#110398

Hi, Vlado, will there be a Vray-C4D connection when Vray 1.5 standalone releases ?

lllab
01-24-2006, 08:42 AM
who would buy vray seriously (its abou799.-)?

it is possible for sure;-)

cheers
stefan

moka.studio
01-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, maybe it would convince some archviz people from Max-Vray to switch to C4d if their render engine would be supported by C4d.
as for the C4d users, well a lot of people who were looking for a better Gi solution have bought FR, or MR, or both ( myself included),
and I would really expect Maxon to be hard at work making some much needed updates for the Render engine.
So I don#t know how big of a market Vray would be looking at,
however it would be great if they ported it, the more solutions are available, the better it is for the end-user

lllab
01-24-2006, 11:42 AM
it would be definitly positive for all, there are a lot of people not so happy with max, but they need the renderengines.

stefan

thev
01-24-2006, 12:17 PM
who would buy vray seriously (its abou799.-)?And maxwell is $999 (when it's released)...

moka.studio
01-24-2006, 12:30 PM
And maxwell is $999 (when it's released)...

this is pretty much the same price range ( FR is in there too), and is rather irrelevent I think if the software is used for production; the 200 are not what would make me personlly choose a render solution

To me, it would have to be a very stable release, and not a cirkus show like the M~R release has been so far. Chaos seems like a serious company in that regard though.

I will not go near M~R for a long time, I do not approve of their way of handling customers ( i know, old subject)

fluffouille
01-24-2006, 05:04 PM
who would buy vray seriously (its abou799.-)?

it is possible for sure;-)

cheers
stefan
I think Vray would have a serious market with C4D users. Don't forget that there are a lot of people doing archviz images with c4d, that's a big customer base. Another big customer base is the Mograph people, who would surely be using such tool.
Me think it could be good for Vray if it were to swim toward us :)

AdamT
01-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree, although there's probably less money to be made than there was before fR-2 and M~R. I'm sure we'll see a plugin sometime after their standalone application is out.

What's suprising to be is that Splutterfish and Chaos are both putting in the effort to jam a complex render engine into Rhino--which really isn't set up for this--but ignoring Cinema, which is perfectly set up for this.

Ernest Burden
01-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Me think it could be good for Vray if it were to swim toward us :)

There was a guy at their Siggraph booth supposedly working on a C4D link. supposedly... I saw him there, hunched over a laptop...

Ernest Burden
01-24-2006, 05:13 PM
What's suprising to be is that Splutterfish and Chaos are both putting in the effort to jam a complex render engine into Rhino--which really isn't set up for this--but ignoring Cinema

McNeel may be an easier company to work with than Maxon?

AdamT
01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I doubt that's it. AFAIK neither company has even contacted Maxon. Also, Cinema's API would be a lot easier--given that Rhino doesn't have native support for basic things like UV mapping. I know that Edwin said they had a much easier time working with Cinema than they did with Max or Maya.

fluffouille
01-24-2006, 05:31 PM
From what I've seen, Maxon seems pretty opened and helpful toward its third party developpers.
I've seen how helpful they were with Cebas, and I know the SDK is quite opened too.
So, even if McNeel is more opened than Maxon, Maxon's behavior should be good enough to develop such tools with relative ease.

jackb602
01-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Could they be avoiding Cinema because it would involve an OS X version of VRAY? As a Mac user, I'd be very interested to have access to VRAY, but I've never seen any information suggesting that they're pursuing this. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Jack

Ernest Burden
01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Could they be avoiding Cinema because it would involve an OS X version of VRAY?

Interesting point!

I don't know anything about that, but perhaps Chris Nichols would, as you know he reads the cgarchitect.com forum--try asking there.

ThirdEye
01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
there's a shitload of people who jumped on fR or Maxwell, so i guess a Vray-C4D connection would be a best seller.

lllab
01-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi Earnest,
you saw somebody working on a c4d-vray connection???

thats new to me. to my info nobody has dome something yet.

@ Adam: rhino is "the" architects 3d-programm, and vray is perfect for architecural renderings, most architects use vray these days. so its a quite logical marriage i think. although i agree that cinema would be even better, also not limited to architects and designers and also lot better for animating:-)

@jackB602, i think vray is windos only at the moment. sadly...

cheers
stefan

Per-Anders
01-24-2006, 11:34 PM
i think there would be a fair ammount of interest to be honest. the debates about render engines in the c4d area should be more than enough to demonstrate that it's a subject close to many peoples hearts, and I believe there's a big market especially with c4d's arch viz, product, motion gfx and matte painting presence, all render heavy areas.

AdamT
01-25-2006, 09:25 PM
i think there would be a fair ammount of interest to be honest. the debates about render engines in the c4d area should be more than enough to demonstrate that it's a subject close to many peoples hearts, and I believe there's a big market especially with c4d's arch viz, product, motion gfx and matte painting presence, all render heavy areas.
I think so too--just not quite *as* big as it would've been had they jumped on the bandwagon first. They really could've made a killing as the first/best third-party render engine to support Cinema. Probably still can as the latest/best.

jackb602
01-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Interesting point!

I don't know anything about that, but perhaps Chris Nichols would, as you know he reads the cgarchitect.com forum--try asking there.

Good idea. I did post over at cgarchitect, but didn't get a very encouraging reply. (http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14438) I assume the Sketchup and Maya connections they are developing will be for Windows only. I wonder how that will go over with users of those packages.

In any case, it looks like finalRender is the best bet for the foreseeable future.

Jack

Simon Wicker
01-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Good idea. I did post over at cgarchitect, but didn't get a very encouraging reply. (http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14438)

very harsh (especially considering the matte department at Sony use Macs and the lead matte painter Ivo Horvat uses Cinema).

cheers, simon w.

moka.studio
01-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Well, a good point is made tough ( over at the cgarchitect forum).
Vray is still closely associated with ArchViz work, and in that domain, 3dmax still dominates (or I should say max+Vray...)
This is why Rhino is also being looked at by the Vray developers, as well as SketchUp, as they both are widely used either by ArchViz people or within arch offices.

thev
01-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I assume the Sketchup and Maya connections they are developing will be for Windows only.There is a Linux version of V-Ray and most likely it will see the light before a Mac OS version.

lllab
01-27-2006, 12:22 PM
well a osx version of vray is unrealistic, sadly but true, for now at least.
i am sure if vrays success stays for a while we will see a future osx release but i am also sure that will happen after the standalone and maya and xsi version and linuxversion is done. this is logic from a developes point of view.

rhino and sketchup versions are NOT made by chaosgroup themselves, they are done by another firm located in usa- asgvis. this is like a connectionplugin similar to FR.

cheers
stefan

moka.studio
01-27-2006, 12:58 PM
well a osx version of vray is unrealistic, sadly but true, for now at least.
i am sure if vrays success stays for a while we will see a future osx release but i am also sure that will happen after the standalone and maya and xsi version and linuxversion is done. this is logic from a developes point of view.

rhino and sketchup versions are NOT made by chaosgroup themselves, they are done by another firm located in usa- asgvis. this is like a connectionplugin similar to FR.

cheers
stefan
thanks for the info.
Perhaps it would be good then for users of C4d interested in a bridge to write to the developers of the bridge-plugin

lllab
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
they only do their rhino and sketchup thing.

moka you have aprivate message from me:-)

cheers
stefan

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.