PDA

View Full Version : Got Cloth?

Wegg
01-23-2006, 03:36 PM
I indend to do a video on what I know about rendering/lighting/shaders in Messiah but there are some really cool changes happening that are in beta. . . so I decided to take some of your advice and do one on soft body dynamics in Messiah while I wait for that.

I think its turning out quite well.

Here is a little "teaser".

<Link to movie> (http://www.eggprops.com/%7Eeggington/Messiah/DressB.mp4)

http://www.eggprops.com/%7Eeggington/Messiah/ClothPimpA.png

http://www.eggprops.com/%7Eeggington/Messiah/ClothPimpC.png

http://www.eggprops.com/%7Eeggington/Messiah/ClothPimpB.png

aforetaste
01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Unbelievable!
That's beautiful, Wegg.

I had no idea that Messiah was THAT powerful.

Waiting with baited breath (whatever that means).

rush123
01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Very nice example Wegg.

Out of interest when are we going more details about the next updates, or maybe some vids???

R

Wegg
01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Probably when its ready. <shrug> I wish it were faster but. . . I'm very happy with what I can do with Messiah right now and I'm making sure anything I use/demonstrate is with whatever is the most current version everyone can use.

rush123
01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
"Probably when its ready. <shrug>". Yeah I should have had my guard up for that one! I've informed Pmg specifically about some HDR issues, and I would like to know if these have been fixed. Would you know? I for one think the render is very good and seeing some of your result adds even more weight to that veiw point.

But getting back to the thread, thanks for the nice example!

Adam-Han
01-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Very Cool!
Are you finding the soft body's to be more stable with fast motion?

Wegg
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Actually the faster the motion. . . the harder it is for the cloth to not penetrate. But. . . I have figured out how to get around that.

Adam-Han
01-23-2006, 06:01 PM
standin geometry?

Wegg
01-23-2006, 06:07 PM
standin geometry?

If I went and spelled it all out for you. . . no one would buy the video! ;-)

Adam-Han
01-23-2006, 06:14 PM
gotcha ;)
looking forward to it.

maks
01-23-2006, 06:15 PM
You definitly seem to have become the master of messiah's softbodys Wegg! (and that's saying something ;) )

:thumbsup:

Wireframes
01-23-2006, 09:14 PM
impressive motion !

Phil

stooch
01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
cloth looks good, cant wait to get my hands on the update.

Wegg
01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
This was done with 2.2b Stooch

timnhe
01-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the video Wegg, the cloth is amazing!!, I hope that soon it is finished

greetings

Julez4001
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
(cough) (cough)

Oh ... wrong thread

Good stuff Wegg!

gsuttor
01-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Cool! Although it looks a little like a rubber skirt I think the job you've done is fantasic.

Wegg
01-25-2006, 12:26 AM
RUBBER!?!

hmm

yea I guess the material is kind of rubber looking. I may go in and sex it up a bit. . . Maybe some velvet or something.

PaulNewman
01-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Looking really fantastic Wegg :thumbsup:

stooch
01-25-2006, 06:20 PM
This was done with 2.2b Stooch

for my application, 2.2b sucks. I have no problems making a skirt being knocked around, a sleeve is a whole different story. especially around the shoulder.

Wegg
01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Hmm.

Thats a lot to ask for any physics simulation. The only place I have seen it done well is at ILM. Yoda's little robe was just. . . amazing. I'd hesitate to say Messiah's solution "sucks" though. I haven't ever tried doing anything that complex myself but. . . if people buy this tutorial maybe I can spend some time figuring out a solution for your needs. <hint>

From what I have seen of Maya's "cloth". . . it is 10000X more complex to set up. You have to actually stitch in patches of geometry. Same for C4D. The examples I have seen on Syflex's website at first really impressed me but upon closer examination I could see that it wasn't the "amazing" solution I thought it was. Especially when you look at the price tag.

srt
01-25-2006, 09:54 PM
. . . if people buy this tutorial maybe I can spend some time figuring out a solution for your needs. <hint>

when do you think the tutorial will be done?

Wegg
01-25-2006, 10:30 PM
When I'm done editing out the booring bits. :)

stooch
01-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Hmm.

Thats a lot to ask for any physics simulation. The only place I have seen it done well is at ILM. Yoda's little robe was just. . . amazing. I'd hesitate to say Messiah's solution "sucks" though. I haven't ever tried doing anything that complex myself but. . . if people buy this tutorial maybe I can spend some time figuring out a solution for your needs. <hint>

From what I have seen of Maya's "cloth". . . it is 10000X more complex to set up. You have to actually stitch in patches of geometry. Same for C4D. The examples I have seen on Syflex's website at first really impressed me but upon closer examination I could see that it wasn't the "amazing" solution I thought it was. Especially when you look at the price tag.

lol well im working on one too, id rather figure it out then pay someone to do it for me. :)

oh and syflex is overrated, I used it extensively in maya and it was a b|tch to implement. So basically, if PMG had this solved or provided a workaround with a combination of existing messiah tools, then they would have a huge one up on the likes of xsi and maya. HUGE. I feel that cloth and SBD are some of the most important tools in char animation today. Hair is another biggie but you can work around hair, cloth on the other hand....

Layer01
01-28-2006, 02:59 AM
hey wegg :D

awesome teaser, i cant wait :love:

Wegg
01-31-2006, 02:25 AM
<Link> (http://www.eggprops.com/catalog/category_261_messiahInstructional_Videos.html)

It ended up being 43 minutes long @ (800x600). It walks you though how to use Messiah's Soft Body Dynamics to simulate realistic cloth motion on a dress. Every step of the process is included, especially the final tweaking stages that show you how to avoid glitches and create smooth realistic motion. It is a 56mb download that includes all of the models used in the video as well as beginning and end scene files so that you can work with the video but also see the end results for yourself in Messiah.

Its my first instructional video in a long while so I'm very interested in getting people's feedback before I try and advertise it more. Any changes I make to it will be included free to anyone who purchases it now. But it is done! And I'm happy! Yay!

Bugpoo
01-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Hey Wegg, I just purchased, downloaded and watched the first 19 minutes of the video...Awesome job!!! Can't wait to buy your render instructional video when it's made available.

Layer01
01-31-2006, 11:10 AM
BuuuuUUUUGPOOOO!!! :scream: *said like the chief constable in the Simpson when shouting out McCain*

lol, damn you bugpoo, you beat me to it...i was almost was the first to buy it...:deal:

on the vid note. its great i'll be writing a review *warts and all* (watch out wegg :twisted: lol jk) tomorrow, so for all you people who arn't sure hopefully it will help you make up your mind.
also wegg...check your email.

ps: dont be a stranger bugpoo, pop back into irc sometime :love:we miss youuuu :cry: :p

Gene Williams
01-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Just finished watching the video and must say it is first rate! All of the
pieces to the puzzle are included and intelligently discussed. If you
want to be able to accomplish softbody solutions in Messiah this is
the ticket. Nice one Wegg and thanks.

Gene

Wegg
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
I got some feedback from Layer01 that was very helpful. I had .fxs files instead of .mpj files included and they weren't finding the correct models causing some confusion. Now things should go much smoother with .mpj. So anyone who has purchased it. . . if your having problems with the included scene then please re-download.

Thank you.

I'm interested in hearing what others think.

Wegg
01-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Nice one Wegg and thanks.

:D Your very welcome.

Gene Williams
01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Maybe possible to just post the mpj files? That would help tremendously, thanks.

Gene

srt
01-31-2006, 08:18 PM
what codec do i need for the video? i am not getting any sound.

<edit>nevermind, i got it to work</edit>

thanks

Wegg
02-01-2006, 02:54 AM
All you need is Quicktime 6 or above.

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 02:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.