PDA

View Full Version : Painting an HDRI

Crin
01-23-2006, 02:36 PM
OK... I'm not sure if this is possible but in theory I think it is.

Does anyone know how to go about painting there own HDRI's for lighting. I'm wanting to create my own "Studioesque" HDRI's like the ones for sale form this site...

http://www.hdri-studio.com/samplers.html

Basically just Area light style patches that can be used in an HDRI lighting setup.

Any clues?

stew
01-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't use HDRI's in such cases. If you build the scene instead with real area lights, it should render faster and in better quality in most cases. For IBL, the renderer will have to sample an entire hemisphere, for area lights just the areas the lights cover.

Crin
01-23-2006, 03:13 PM
LOL! :D

So basically the way I'm doing things now and have been for ages. Fair enough, thanks for the advice. What do you suppose people buy those HDRI's on that site for then?

JuRrAsStOiL
01-23-2006, 05:53 PM
guess they are lazy...

save the 72$ and do the 5-10 mouseclicks for some arealights yourself :D

Crin
01-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah, that's the way I've always done it in the past. I'm just learning about using HDRI's for lighting so this intrested me. Guess i'll be saving the HDRI's for outdoor scenes then ;)

stew
01-24-2006, 12:23 AM
The main advantage in HDRI/IBL for me lies in integration with real world footage. For entirely CG scenes, it may be nice as fill, but traditional lighting gives you so much more creative control (see the current lighting challenge thread for examples).

Crin
01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, I'm pretty good at lighting scenes traditionally so I guess I'll stick with that. Thanks for all the info dude.

P.s. I notice your a DJ, what sort of tunes you play? I DJ three times a week and play funky/club house though electro and breakbeat.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.