PDA

View Full Version : Audio Format greyed out in AFX

Koogle
01-23-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm just wondering if I should be getting any audio format options when I use 'Video for Windows', and and choose a codec like xvid/divx. I don't get any options to configure the audio codec settings as the audio format button is greyed out. Is this normal? I've tried installed some audio codecs like LAME, and some other MP3 ones but they don't show up?

If i use WMV or Quicktime I get the option but I still prefere to use the AVI codecs for video.

jussing
01-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Odd, it shouldn't have anything to do with installed codecs - you should at least be able to select "uncompressed"... :shrug:

- Jonas

Koogle
01-23-2006, 03:43 PM
yeah it will still let me output the sound as an uncompressed wav file.. which sucks for reducing file size..

at the moment I've been using vdub to import the video file and export that out again but just with the sound properly encoded into mp3 format at my desired bitrate. And that does exactly what I thought would have been possible from After Effects. And the file size decrease is definitely worth doing.

So does anyone actually get audio codec options when outputting to divx/ xvid or any other windows video format?

Mylenium
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
yeah it will still let me output the sound as an uncompressed wav file.. which sucks for reducing file size..

at the moment I've been using vdub to import the video file and export that out again but just with the sound properly encoded into mp3 format at my desired bitrate. And that does exactly what I thought would have been possible from After Effects. And the file size decrease is definitely worth doing.

So does anyone actually get audio codec options when outputting to divx/ xvid or any other windows video format?

No, AFAIK, AE does not handle any sound compression that involves DirectSound such as found in XVid/ DivX. You will notice similar folly when using Quicktime with such CoDecs - you can encode the image in MPEG 4, but not the sound. The only output modules that work with this type seem to be the dedicated exporters fpr Windows Media and MPEG.

Mylenium

Koogle
01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
oh well I guess that clears that up, thanks.

What a disappoint though, will adobe ever fix that ? I mean its possible to do it a freeware program, why not AFx Adobe!! crazy :shrug:

and i'm suprised more people haven't been annoyed about it.

mdurwin
01-23-2006, 04:31 PM
There are a variety of audio compression possibilities in AE but in relation to the audio for a video export. AE is for video production not audio so the audio possibilities are limited and don't really need to be otherwise. You can try using Sorenson Squeeze or just use iTunes for audio. Your best bet to get the file size down through audio is to bring down the bit rate, go to mono, etc. It really won't make much of a dent in your AVI files though. Most of the file size is due to compression of the video, or lack of. I find the best balance between video quality and size is either Sorenson 3 or Flash video (FLV). Using funky, 3rd party codecs is only going to cause limitations on the user side since not everyone has all of the codecs needed. The great thing about FLV files is that even with Quicktime Pro, noone can steal your video but more people have the Flash plugin than have any other video plugin.

Mylenium
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM
oh well I guess that clears that up, thanks.

What a disappoint though, will adobe ever fix that ? I mean its possible to do it a freeware program, why not AFx Adobe!! crazy :shrug:

and i'm suprised more people haven't been annoyed about it.

Well, part of the problem is inherent in AE's architecture. It does not do any read-ahead operations (preloading) when doing it's normal rendering which means all compression can only appear within the timerange of the actual frame and not across multiple frames. All export modules that want to apply such compression need to take care of reserving their own shadow buffers to temporarily store the buffers and analyze them (e.g. 12 frames for DVD-compliant MPEG-II). Needless to say that many I/O plugins don't. Things such as DirectSound complicate matters even further since they are mere abstraction layers/ helper services that require additional coding to access their low-level functions. Anyway, I'm sure one fine day we'll see large improvements in this area. People have requested things such as realtime audio for ages and as a side effect this would open up the rendering pipeline as well. In the meantime just resort to other tools, as bad as this may be in some situations.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.