PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Acrobat3D

opus13
01-23-2006, 05:12 AM
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat3d/main.html

more acrobat, slightly different.

sample 3d pdf file (~3mb): http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/3d_pdf_demo.pdf

chadtheartist
01-23-2006, 06:03 AM
Cool. Really cool. This would work great for job hunting. Demo reel in a pdf!

opus13
01-23-2006, 06:55 AM
hah! a classic example of optimism vs. pessimism.

i thought: "wtf? sounds like a gimmick"

you thought: "i can exploit this"

chrisWhite
01-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Great...as if Acrobat didn't take long enough to load already.

mustique
01-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Great...as if Acrobat didn't take long enough to load already.

So true... The day MS puts a PDF like "light" app into Windows, PDF will die.

Zarf
01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
So true... The day MS puts a PDF like "light" app into Windows, PDF will die.

PDF as a format is way too entrenched in the printing industry (we love it!). It is not going anyhwere anytime soon regardless of what microsoft may or may not do.

Cheers,
Xarf

arjan_meerten
01-23-2006, 09:54 AM
there is already one:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com

gent_k
01-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Yes the last couple of versions were getting worse, but I think acrobat 7 is a step in the right direction. Its way faster here compared to the previous versions as far as load times and 'snappyness' is concerned. It may just be me though.

daart
01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I love foxit! It´s free and much faster than adobe.

P_T
01-23-2006, 10:35 AM
It's a bit like that VRML thing isn't it?

jbw
01-23-2006, 11:20 AM
PDF won't die out as already explained.
Perhaps Adobe will start developing Flashpaper (relative links would be useful!) for supplying web content, considering the flash plugin is so much smaller than the bloated acrobat reader.

Para
01-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Soo...artist makes his portfolio as 3D pdf, some evil person downloads that pdf and decomplies the meshes from the pdf and uses them for his own purposes.

...no, not good for that.

mummey
01-23-2006, 01:19 PM

That's what I said too when I first saw it. It reminds me a bit of VRML 1.0.

Bonsai
01-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi folks,

after intense search on Adobes site i could not find any information which 3D fromats one can embedd into a PDF. Has anyone any information about this or could post a link ? Maybe i was just too blind to find this piece of information. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Bonsai

DanSilverman
01-23-2006, 02:43 PM

Not really. VRML was never this robust. I used to build VRML worlds for a company and the 3D content desplayed in Acrobat 3D are much nicer and cleaner. This reminds me more of browser plugins like Cult3D.

after intense search on Adobes site i could not find any information which 3D fromats one can embedd into a PDF. Has anyone any information about this or could post a link ? Maybe i was just too blind to find this piece of information.

I did not look to much into Adobe's site, but there is a free, 30-day demo. You could download it and see what formats are supported. I just may do that.

Since this is supported in Acrobat 7 then this would be a great way to get 3D information into clients' hands.

Neil
01-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Not really. VRML was never this robust. I used to build VRML worlds for a company and the 3D content desplayed in Acrobat 3D are much nicer and cleaner. This reminds me more of browser plugins like Cult3D.

Other major companies have user VRML also in the past, specifically car companies, and it looks perfectly the same to me.

PDFs were one of the few remaining file formats that were expected to be small, and now they're inflating in size too. Great :/

DanSilverman
01-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Other major companies have user VRML also in the past, specifically car companies, and it looks perfectly the same to me.

Actually, no, it was not pure VRML. There are a lot of things that VRML did not and does not support. As a result, there were a ton of companies out there pushing their VRML-alternative products (Anark, Cult3D and a dozen or more others). Some of them used VRML-like syntax. Some of them worked within VRML and some of them were totally different. All in all it most likely was not VRML if it looked like the example we see in the Adobe Acrobat 3D demonstration.

PDFs were one of the few remaining file formats that were expected to be small, and now they're inflating in size too. Great :/

Well, PDFs have been fairly bloated for some time now. They are just getting "fatter" :) .

visualride
01-23-2006, 04:28 PM
The reason that this demo looks like VRML is that the creator didn't know how to use the product very well is my guess. I used Viewpoints 3d view creator, Cult 3d, and others full time a few years ago before they all went broke from the tech crash. Real time 3d can be made to look much better than this. This demo looks like cheap beginner chrome that you see in newbie animations. I would like to know who's 3d technology that they are licensing.

damien_wynter
01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Right Hemisphere 3D Technology Licensed by Adobe and Embedded in New Adobe Acrobat 3D Software

Fremont, CA — January 23, 2006 — Right HemisphereŽ, the leading provider of Product Graphics Management (PGM) software, today announced that Adobe Systems Incorporated has licensed and embedded 3D PGM technology from Right Hemisphere for the new Adobe Acrobat 3D software.

<<< LINK TO PDF>>> (http://http://www.righthemisphere.com/company/press_releases/22Jan2006_2.pdf)

DonAVP
01-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Well I tried it on a MAC G5 and it don't work. I thought it might be a flash file and made sure that I was up-to-date with flash. Still no luck. Another company that has been in the 3D presentation business for years is Right Hemisphere. They make a program that's called Deep Exploration (very cool for converting 3D files to different formats). I also us it to organize and view my 3D files. Kind of like a image browser for 3D. Here is an additional link about the product

http://news.com.com/Adobe+Acrobat+enters+third+dimension/2100-1012_3-6029407.html?part=rss&tag=6029407&subj=news (http://news.com.com/Adobe+Acrobat+enters+third+dimension/2100-1012_3-6029407.html?part=rss&tag=6029407&subj=news)

Be.eM
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Well I tried it on a MAC G5 and it don't work.

Well, Reader on the Mac needs to be updated in order to read 3D files.

Another company that has been in the 3D presentation business for years is Right Hemisphere. They make a program that's called Deep Exploration (very cool for converting 3D files to different formats).

As you will probably notice soon, Acrobat 3D will import all 3D file formats that Deep Exploration is able to import. Strange coincidence, isn't it? ;-)

Regards,
Bernd

P_T
01-23-2006, 05:48 PM
If you read the bottom of that PDF example, Adobe is using Acrobat 7 pro and Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration.

I guess this is great for client presentation but not for demo reel, I wouldn't wanna put my mesh online...

chadtheartist
01-23-2006, 06:18 PM
I personally won't ever use it for 3D stuff, as I have zero desire to own the full Acrobat program. But I still think it would be a great way to send out your work. Maybe not putting it online for all to see, if you're not trusting that is, but at least for job interviews and such.

Then again FBX and Quicktime work pretty good in that aspect too.

P_T
01-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Trust anonymous people online? only as far as I can throw my car. :D

I'm not even sure about using it to send demo reel. I've read quite a few postings about dodgy potential employers, then about reviewer only taking 10 secs to be impressed by your demo reel, I doubt they'll have time to spin ur models around, not to mention some prefer to use VHS to view reels for one reason or another.

jcorpe
01-23-2006, 06:37 PM
The file format that is used is U3D from what I remember. I believe Adobe licensed some type of reading technology from Deep Exploration. I downloaded the Acrobat professional demo, which allows you to embed U3d files. In order to get U3D, I had to download one of Deep Explorations tools ( I can't remember which one but it was cheap; I just tried the demo). The DE tool could open a Max mesh and you could optimize it but I didn't like DE's optimizer. The problem with this workflow is that you didn't get all the controlled interactive features other than a few light and rotate tricks. I think the technology has potential but if you put too much geometry in there, you can forget it. I've seen a few examples with architecture and I just don't think it works for that kind of scale. It looks like it does a good job for individual objects and small assemblies, like the jet engine.

opus13
01-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes the last couple of versions were getting worse, but I think acrobat 7 is a step in the right direction. Its way faster here compared to the previous versions as far as load times and 'snappyness' is concerned. It may just be me though.

a small step, maybe. acrobat is still unworldly bloated, and consumes ridiculous amount of sytem resources. i really can only imagine that 3d would be significantly worse than the 2d version.

Kanga
01-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Eek!

My process guard went bannanas blocking mem for that page!

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 12:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.