PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy in the UK?

mykyl
01-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Is there a way to buy Messiah in the UK. The reason I ask is I refuse to pay stupid import taxes on anything. Especially as there is no clear info on what this costs. I have seen anything from 0% to 50% duty on software depending on where you look. Ridiculous.

Also why have PMG started to use paypal from payments? To me that just reads home based company whcih I know they are not but it does not look good to potential buyers.

I know this sound like I am a moaning nutter. Please dont read it like that. Just wondering about a few things.

Currently I have XSI in my sights but may change that as when I tested the Messiah Studio software I really liked it.

The only other isssue is WHEN will this next version be available. I dont want to shell out then realise in the next two to 4 months a new version is out. lol

Cheers

Mike R

Parsec3d
01-23-2006, 04:56 AM
mykyl ,, u might want to take advantage of this:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=305541

mykyl
01-23-2006, 05:08 AM
He seems to be US based as well unforunately. Anything worth more than about 30 is subject to damned import duty. etc.

Cheers

Mike R

kennez
01-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Is there a way to buy Messiah in the UK. The reason I ask is I refuse to pay stupid import taxes on anything. Especially as there is no clear info on what this costs. I have seen anything from 0% to 50% duty on software depending on where you look. Ridiculous.

When I got Messiah, I was charged an absolutely shocking 70 import duties. Same happened when I bought Modo and madde the mistake of getting the boxed version. Unfortunately, since PMG use a dongle as their security measure, you are pretty much stuck with it, as I don't think they have a UK based reseller.

DMack
01-23-2006, 08:46 AM
You know I've heard a lot about 'import duties' on packages from the US. I have also heard at some stage that they are not always 'import duties' but fee's charged by the courier for admin on the 'import duties'. Could be talking nonsense here but thought I'd mention it - has anyone else heard this?

kennez
01-23-2006, 09:05 AM
You know I've heard a lot about 'import duties' on packages from the US. I have also heard at some stage that they are not always 'import duties' but fee's charged by the courier for admin on the 'import duties'. Could be talking nonsense here but thought I'd mention it - has anyone else heard this?

I have not only heard this, but can actually CONFIRM it. When I was hit by the charges for Modo, I actually asked the guy who delivered it straight out why the import duty was in the region of 25%. He said to me:

"It's not. There's VAT at 17.5%, and the rest is our fee for bringing it through Customs."

I also verified this when I received Joe's Rigging CD's. They came via a different courier, and I got whacked with a charge. I wasn't in at the time, so my father refused to sign for it. The courier took it back to the depot, and I rang up when I got home to rearrange delivery. I asked them about the charge, and they said it was all tax, so I rang up Customs and Excise, and they told me that they have loads of similar calls every day asking the same question. He stated that Customs only apply the 17.5% VAT. Anything over and above that is charged by the Courier as a 'handling fee'.

Effectively when buying a piece of software from the States, us Europeans are getting royally screwed. Essentially, we are paying for the shipping twice: once at time of purchase, and then again before we can actually take hold of what we have bought.

That's why I think all US-based software companies that don't have resellers within the EU should offer a download-only version of their software. They will lose an awful lot of custom when people find out that they get charged again to get hold of their software.

It's down to two groups of people: the EU bureaucrats is Brussels (who should leave everything alone, but that's another story), and the Courier services (all of them). Because of them, users are getting annoyed, and software companies are probably losing money.

Suricate
01-23-2006, 10:38 AM
The only messiah reseller in Europe that I know of is www.3dpowerstore.de (http://www.3dpowerstore.de) in Germany. You might check it out, they are offering m:s Workstation for EURO 265,-- and m:s Professional for EURO 890,--. And no, I am not working for that company ... :)

mykyl
01-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I agree with these posts. I personally refuse to purchase items that are sent from the US or anywhere outside the Eu due to these unfair 'taxes'. We already pay over the odds for many things but as usual this is not enough for those 'in charge'.

Cheers

Mike R

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 03:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.