PDA

View Full Version : Open Figure Drawing Workshop - William Bouguereau Master Copy - with Rebeccak 012

Pages : 1 [2]

Ego
01-30-2006, 08:37 AM
MeliHitchcock,

Welcome aboard! :) No worries...we still have lots of time left in this Workshop...we just started it last Sunday, so it's been a week...but depending on where everyone is at in 2 more weeks, we'll see if people want to extend it another week for a total of 4 weeks. :)

Nice start! Really looking forward to your next update!

Do you want to tell us something about your training / background? :)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

It'll really be great to extend it. Give more people a chance to join etc etc. Phew am relieved to find at least a couple of people not doing this digitally. I have spent several days contemplating on whether or not to break out painter when I begin or to just use traditional. I think am shooting for traditional.

Anyway, just stopping by to give my props to all of you for tackling such a gigantic task enthusistically :thumbsup:

Ego
01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Speaking of hell...I think artists who go to hell will spend eternity doing nothing but hand and foot studies.

Hahahaahahaha
I believe this too.

tizianoadmirer
01-30-2006, 10:07 AM
tizianoadmirer,
Welcome aboard! Thank you for the lovely image ~ I hope you will participate here with us! :wavey:

Definitely, although I think I'll stick with the beginners area for a while...

I'm sure you knew it already, this image is "Abel and Cain" by Jacopo Tintoretto. As my handle suggests, I'm a fan of venitian and florentine renaissance paintings...

TA

Rebeccak
01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Sabie,

WOW! Good lord, that's beautiful progress! :thumbsup: This is sure to be an amazing piece...keep up the great work! :bounce:

Originally posted by Steph: @ Rebecca : w00t ! too bad you can't continue (huhu^^) ... but you have a good excuse :deal:
Now I just hope you will find some time in fabruary to join the next challenge anyway ... hey what am I saying ? *whistles innocently*
ps: you owe me a crown
Nooo!!! Not my tiara!!! :cry: :scream:

Originally posted by Queensoul: It'll really be great to extend it. Give more people a chance to join etc etc. Phew am relieved to find at least a couple of people not doing this digitally. I have spent several days contemplating on whether or not to break out painter when I begin or to just use traditional. I think am shooting for traditional.
No problem! I think it will be good to go an extra week on this one, too. I'm glad to see people doing traditional, as well! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by tizianoadmirer: : Definitely, although I think I'll stick with the beginners area for a while...

I'm sure you knew it already, this image is "Abel and Cain" by Jacopo Tintoretto. As my handle suggests, I'm a fan of venitian and florentine renaissance paintings...
No problem! Bear in mind you can also post the work that you do for any OFDW to the Beginner's Lounge ~ I think it's a great way to participate, but at your own pace amongst other beginners. :) Actually, I didn't know this painting, but it's great that you're a fan of such beautiful paintings...any time you want to inspire people with beautiful work, please feel free to do so! :)

~Rebeccak

ErichSchreiner
01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
@Ravena
thx

@all
nice updates...

http://www.godlessbeauty.de/gallery/color02OFDW12.jpg

aggie93
01-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Morning everyone,

I am not posting anything for I only got one hand done this whole weekend. It is hard to find time when you have a seven year old playing basketball, then ref'ing basketball all day on Saturday, and last church most of the day on Sunday. I did, however, paint a little on my other project. I hope to have an update in the morning.

I see everyone has a different approach to this project. It is uncanny how each of your artistic style shows up but it is so similar to the original. Keep up the great work!

Aggie93

Rebeccak
01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Erich,

Great update! :thumbsup:

aggie93,

Lol, I can totally understand...hang in there, and bear in mind we've got lots of time here. ;)

~Rebeccak

ErichSchreiner
01-30-2006, 06:04 PM
@Rebecca

thx. i think i will have learned much after this piece :)

http://www.godlessbeauty.de/gallery/color03OFDW12.jpg

Rebeccak
01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Erich,

The upper torso is looking fantastic! :thumbsup: Keep up the great work! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
01-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone

Going for the Michaelangelo look with these two figures - Last Judgement type style
Going to put short curly horns on demon biting neck of his damned prey
I don't like the way the demon looks in the painting we're working from.
Too clean looking. Who cut his hair and styled it, etc?
Want my demon to look more like a wild demon
Part human but mostly demon
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_30.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_31.jpg

daWinky
01-31-2006, 05:58 AM
Morning everyone!

Spirit Dreamer: I had the same thoughts about the good haircut and hairdressers in hell while painting this guy:D ...I really like your interpretation and the facial expression you gave him...here are no doubts that it's not a kiss...:) !

-sabrina

Rebeccak
01-31-2006, 06:09 AM
Morning, Sabie! :)

Nice to hear your thoughts on Glenn's painting...do we get a great update from you today? :D Hmm...I'm being hypocritical, no update from me...:D

~Rebeccak

daWinky
01-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Morning Becca!

Hmm, Glenn is just doing what I'm not having the heart to do...would be a little arrogant to "improve" the original when painting my first master copy:D . But it's really disturbing that my scene still looks like a strange kiss...I mentioned this in my first post here and hoped to get rid of this soon...:shrug:
Hmm...I'm being hypocritical, no update from me...:D

Neither from me, I'm a little under pressure with some recent work...

Sleep well!:)

-sabrina

SaraD
01-31-2006, 08:21 AM
No time for updates:( Haven´t even started Painter hole week... But, I´m lurking around as always, and enjoying your progress! And so fun to see a lot of new participants! I hope I can post something soon. My fingers arer itching now. Which is good, because that means I might finish this one :bounce:

Mu
01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Going to put short curly horns on demon biting neck of his damned prey
I don't like the way the demon looks in the painting we're working from.
Too clean looking. Who cut his hair and styled it, etc?
Want my demon to look more like a wild demon
Part human but mostly demon

I haven't read "the divine comedy" yet, but the longer I stare at this piece the more I want to!

I talked to a friend of mine who has read it and he immediately recognized the scene:
They actually are both human (brothers!) trying to eat each other!
This might also explain the expression of contempt on Dante's face.

That said, I figure it's a cool idea to push the anatomy of one of them as I think that his hairstyle suggests demon's horns already (a little bit)...

As concerns my update: I am suffering from a decision deadlock, again. While I was looking forward to tackling this complex a composition I am somewhat reluctant to do this big a piece (big in technical terms of resolution) in Artrage. You might help me decide, though, everyone!

How big did you dimension your canvases or what aspect ratio did you choose?

Rebeccak
01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Mr. Mu,

If you feel uncomfortable tackling this in ArtRage, which I wouldn't at all blame you for, then why not approach this traditionally? However, I can see the benefit of ArtRage's limitations helping you ~ as with traditional work, every stroke counts if it's difficult to change, which tends to focus your concentration. But you should do what you feel comfortable with ~ as I mentioned on your Anatomy Thread, I think that were you to do some nice studies from this image ~ head, hands, feet, torso, etc. ~ you would come away with a lot of knowledge. It's often the case I think that focusing a lot of attention on one particular area is better than spreading oneself too thin over a broader subject. What do you think? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
01-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi...Rett...:)
Glad you agree with my opinion about the dark ages....I saw a program recently on gargoles,
and how modern artists can't recreat them, with the same emotional expressions today, as
the originals from the dark ages had. The mordern ones look more comical or cartooney...
I guess you really have to beleive in what your creating, for the emotions to come across
in a convincing way...BOSH ect. Just a thought ....:)

Da Winky .....:)
Never be afraid to express your true emotions or thoughts, when it comes to YOUR PAINTING..

MR MU....:)
One of the most valuble lessions in life and warfare....Know your enemies mind....SUPERSTITION....:)

About painting spec's......3OO Pixeles per inch resolution....1800 pixels high and wide
one layer...BMP format...for mine...

You were asking how to get emotions in your brushstrokes on your thread...
BURNE HOGARTH used to make us do bigger than life drawings on paper of the human
figure...from or imagination...forces you to get at arms lenth away from drawing...you
get more expressive and powerfull strokes that way...used side of conte crayon...
After awhile you'll notice that the same emotion and power in your strokes happens on
your smaller pieces also....GO FAST...KNOW WHERE YOUR GOING...
I used up many rolls of four foot wide paper, joined together in the middle with tape on
back side, to make it eight feet across and eight feet high...the kind of paper that house
painters use to mask windows ect.. back side is non coated, and works great with
conte crayon...tape eight by eight paper to wall, and let those emotions flow from your
heart to your shoulder, thru your arm, and out of your fingertips onto the paper canvas.
Working big forces you to abandon the shorthand style that developes with smallness,
hard to fake anything when working that big....Hope this helps ...I know it helped me
alot...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Mu
01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Glenn -

thanks four your input. I always appreciate your detailed answers.
Hmmm, the flat I live in isn't big enough for 8*8ft drawings, I am afraid...:D
But I will definitely try large scale drawings and try to get loose and precise at the same time. My shoulder is at complete rest when I draw, right now. Will be exciting to see what happens when I put it to use!
This suggestion of yours sounds simple, logical and feasible, as is actually always the case with you.
I still have some rather big sheets I used for my pastel chalk mess (that was back in the days when I just wanted to paint without having learned anything before - oh happy times of stupidity and ignorance:scream: )

Rebecca -

I think that were you to do some nice studies from this image ~ head, hands, feet, torso, etc. ~ you would come away with a lot of knowledge. It's often the case I think that focusing a lot of attention on one particular area is better than spreading oneself too thin over a broader subject. What do you think? :)

I have been thinking the same thing.

I have a friend who does mainly traditional work (I could convince her of the benefits of digital, too, though - she is one of those rare instances of a schooled and trained person who somehow managed to stay open-minded) - among the things she does are wonderful large scale details of masterpieces (which I totally admire).

So, it would be exciting to do a large detail of this - I just somehow feel obliged to do the whole damn thing. Maybe another occasion to go loose over the damn rules. You know, these people who are so cramped up you could breed diamonds by sticking a piece of coal between their buttocks? That's me when I come across rules:scream:

So, I will come up with something...when I managed to defeat myself:scream:

*starts to wrestle himself*
*falls off the chair*

aggie93
01-31-2006, 03:32 PM
OK, Here is what I accomplished last night.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/06JAN30.jpg

Hey Spirit, I like your approach.

Elsie
01-31-2006, 05:14 PM
I haven't read "the divine comedy" yet, but the longer I stare at this piece the more I want to!

Erm, no update as of yet as I'm down in England and having to install Photoshop on my brothers computer before I can work...Otherwise I would have sooo done something :D yeah...:sweat:

Anyway just wanted to say Mr. Mu - you should really check the Divine Comedy out. Absolute favourite of mine, the version I have has some really intersting plates in it too...I'll see if I can find the one depicting this scene.

Glenn - really interested also in your style of working. Very original and cool :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
01-31-2006, 05:39 PM
It's really great and interesting to read everyones' comments...it's really nice that such a great dialogue has developed! :)

Looking forward to catching up on the day's events...:)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

ErichSchreiner
01-31-2006, 06:48 PM
update...................

http://www.godlessbeauty.de/gallery/color04OFDW12.jpg

Rebeccak
01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Fantastic, Erich! :applause: Really looking forward to seeing this finished. :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Elsie
01-31-2006, 11:07 PM
http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/2898/ver119ru.jpg

Okay, I don't really want to post this but I suppose a decent amount HAS happened since my last update - basically everything in the background is a mess because I'm just rushing through trying to get the canvas covered, and can tighten everything up later. >_< beh.

Ravena
01-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Elsie,

looks so great! I like the skin colors of the two main figures.

Ciao,
Ravena

ErichSchreiner
02-01-2006, 02:36 PM
@Rebecca

thx

@Elsie

the figures look very nice

update

http://www.godlessbeauty.de/gallery/color05OFDW12.jpg

Rebeccak
02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Elsie,

Looking fantastic! :bounce:

Erich,

Looking great, too! What an exciting Workshop! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

aggie93
02-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I went to figure lab last night. I got a lot of loose sketches. I need a night of live models after all the 2D pictures I have been reproducing. Here is a couple from last night:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/06Jan31SOFA1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/06Jan31SOFA2.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/06Jan31SOFA4.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/06Jan31SOFA6.jpg

I didn't work on Bouguereau. Sorry!

fredlovebot
02-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I probably won't be able to finish this one, have alot of other work on my hands now (school related). Sorry :shrug:

All the pieces are coming along great! Great work everyone!

Reb: Nice avatar :D

Rebeccak
02-01-2006, 05:30 PM
aggie93,

Lol, no prob! Will definitely take a better look at your sketches later. :)

gorgnut,

Lol, thanks ~ avatar compliments of Goro! :D Sorry you won't be able to finish this now...but bear in mind, all OFDWs remain open indefinitely ~ so you can always come back to this piece, even weeks or months later. :)

~Rebeccak

mornie
02-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Erm. Hi. I've never been in this forum before. :waves: Heh. Umm... anywho. I've never painted a guy before, and am generally somewhat weak in the anatomy area anyway, so I guess I could use this. Also have never copied a painting before. So be gentle. :P

Ahh.. here's my WIP, after two hours:
http://www.geocities.com/sini_violin/dante1.jpg

I like my way of doing it, too. So there. :P Colours are not final, 'cause I like to build up on them to get the colours I want. Also, sketchy lines are not final and I need to fix a few that aren't so sketchy. Mrr.

Anywho.

Yep. Back to work.

Rebeccak
02-01-2006, 09:27 PM
mornie,

Hey there, welcome aboard! Wow, I'm quite impressed with your piece, particularly given that you are new to figurative art! :thumbsup: Would you like to tell us a bit about your training and background? It's always interesting to know a bit about our fellow members. :)

Fantastic start, and really looking forward to your next update and participation here! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Elsie
02-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Erm...:blush:

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/3806/ver147th.jpg

I had nothing to do today, so I sat here and worked...and worked...then realised I'd spent about 12 hours on this today. My brain is be a bit of the soggy now O_o so tomorrow I'll get started with the concept sketches for the CollabBATTLE and give you folks a rest from my update spewing :blush:

Almost finished the base sketchy colours now...then I can finally get to some REAL painting ;) (i.e. detailing and textures)

Rebeccak
02-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Elsie, :)

What's to blush about? You're doing a tremendous job! :applause: Can't wait to see this when the 'real' work has been completed. ;) :bounce:

~Rebeccak

Elsie
02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Elsie, :)

What's to blush about? You're doing a tremendous job! :applause: Can't wait to see this when the 'real' work has been completed. ;) :bounce:

Hehe, thank you Becca :) I'm just afraid of flooding this place a little haha "Oh, look, I added a toe!"

SaraD
02-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Arghh :banghead:
Elsie - how I envy you those 12 hrs! I´ve put a green/greyish "blob" in today... the only progress in four days :cry: I hate to think that I won´t find the time to finish this one. Well, I´ll finish it, but it seems like it´s gonna take me ages, eons. The OFDW will be up on nr 162, and Becca won´t be able to ROFL anymore, and Mr Mu won´t be able to get up on the chair again or remember who restled hom down, and not even the SpiritDreamers themselves will be able to tell who´s who anymore... But, the positive thing about it, is that my old hand by then will tremble and give the painting some nice natural movement.

Rebeccak
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Elsie,

Ummm...have you seen how many WIP I post myself? :D No problems, darlin'! :D

SaraD,

LOL, you're a comedian! :scream:...I am ROFL...for now...:scream:

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Working on big figures
Changed hands, faces etc.
Like remaking a classic movie
King-Kong comes to mind.
Just a fun experiment. Learning alot in the process.
Want this piece to have my personal fingerprint on it
when I am finished
Metaphorically speaking that is, of course. :)
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_51.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_52.jpg

mornie
02-01-2006, 11:24 PM
mornie,

Hey there, welcome aboard! Wow, I'm quite impressed with your piece, particularly given that you are new to figurative art! :thumbsup: Would you like to tell us a bit about your training and background? It's always interesting to know a bit about our fellow members. :)

Fantastic start, and really looking forward to your next update and participation here! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

:blush: Erm. Thank you! I hope I wasn't misleading about my background.. but I guess in a way I *am* new to figurative art, since I've never actually sat down and studied a figure. I copied about five or six (literally) out of a figure-drawing book, but that's about it, and I wasn't really paying attention. I have done somewhat cartoony figures, but they ain't very good, 'cause I didn't know how. Ahem.

Hmm. Background. Well.. I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil, pretty much. Most of my experience with that has been portraits drawn from photographs. I felt I needed some broader experience (heh), so I took up painting off and on about two years ago. Then, almost exactly one year ago, I got my Wacom (squee!), so I've been trying to learn how apply colours to these things since then. Also, painting is really a whole different ball game when it comes to putting down the lines and defining spaces and whatnot. At least for me. So here I am, trying to learn!

Oh yeah, and no art classes. I kinda always assumed that I would find them irritating and stifling. Yes, you may slap my wrist. My learning has been 99% from observation. Other than that, I've used people's suggestions like "Hey, why don't you try shading it this time!" or "There's this thing called perspective...". Oh, and Enayla's tutorials. They're spiffy. Only tutorials so far I've found useful, honestly. At least that I've seen.

Wow. This is getting long.. Anywho, last update for tonight:

http://www.geocities.com/sini_violin/dante2.jpg

Thank you. :)

Rebeccak
02-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Glenn,

Really liking your direction! :thumbsup:

mornie,

Thanks for that! That actually helps me and everyone else here to understand where you're coming from a lot better. :)

Wow, really impressive for little art background! :) It will be interesting to see what kind of shape you can whip yourself into by the end of this Workshop ~ so far, you're doing a great job! :)

If you're interested in Tutorials, we have Tutorials gallore here on the forum, and I can refer you to one external Tutorial which I think is quite good at describing a black and white > color painting process:

Stahlberg's painting tutorial: (http://www.androidblues.com/JealousyStepbystep/jealousystep.html)
http://www.androidblues.com/JealousyStepbystep/jealousystep.html

Also check out the Anatomy Forum Links here:

Tutorials, Workshops, Anatomy Reviews & More ... [links within] (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273525)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273525

Glad to have you aboard, and looking forward to your continued participation in the Anatomy Forum. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Vidar3d
02-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Sorry for not having an update. In addtion to work I am working on a Tattoo design for a friend who going to get it inked this weekend. I'll post the design over on my anatomy forum when finished. I'll hope to have an update to show tommorrow. I had better get to it as I can already hear Rebecca uncoiling her bullwhip.

Aggie- Glad to see you sticking with it. Nice sketches. BTW, you know you a true lone star stater when you actually type the word "y'all" instead of just saying it. Hilarious.

Glen - How Bizarre! Very cool with animal head thing going on.

Elsie- Staggering progress here.

Mu
02-02-2006, 08:34 AM
the positive thing about it, is that my old hand by then will tremble and give the painting some nice natural movement.

lmao!:scream:

Elsie - in fact I enjoy every little update from you, so don't you dare to be a miser about them!

Glenn - When you mentioned you wanted to demonize this guy I had no idea how far you were going to take this! Almost looks a bit like one of your bird-dragons! Now, I am really hooked!

SpiritDreamer
02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi..... Rebecca....:wavey: :)

Glad you don't mind the changes... only way I could ..SEE..it...my heritage I guess ..LOL!! ..

Rett...:) ...

If you think that's bizzare, ...you should have seen this baby Great Horned Owl I raised
from a chick years ago...used to feed him young live chickens...he would grab them by
the head with his beak, while holding them down with his claws...and swollow them whole
head first...I am seeing this demon i'm painting doing the same thing with his prey...;)
Not just a vision borrowed from Bosh in this case...LOL !!

MR MU... You haven't even begun to ... SEE ... my DARK SIDE..... YET .... ROFLOL...:scream: :)
I think you better get a seat belt for your chair... LOL !!:thumbsup:

SaraD... I'll always be able to spot you, ...all I have to do is ... what is written above my
avatar.... Also,....You should take off your seat belt while painting this one... it might
get finished sooner...LOL !!...:)

TAKE CARE....EVERY = ONE .... :)
Glenn

aggie93
02-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, after reading Else's post I am a bit afraid I might be the one she's talking about. But since I am posting this, here's my toe:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060201Dente.jpg

Oh and my Psyche painting:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060201Psyche.jpg

Vidar - My dialect is very strong it carries over into my writings. Since your up in the area, have you heard about our (Aggie's) law suit with the Seahawks over the 12th man? Is it a bunch of hype?

Rebeccak
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
aggie93,

Nice progress on the Bouguereau piece! :thumbsup: As regards your painting, what medium are you using? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

aggie93
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Rebeccak - I am using oil. I am not a painter, as you can tell. I figure I will learn by baptism of fire. I am building it slowly.

Rebeccak
02-02-2006, 03:39 PM
aggie93,

No worries, that's what we're here for, right? :) You might find this post on Queensoul's Anatomy Thread helpful:

Tips on oil painting for a beginner:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3192877&postcount=89

If you're interested in reading the post in it's context, here is the page in Queensoul's Anatomy Thread where the post resides:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=301285&page=6&pp=15

~Rebeccak

MeliHitchcock
02-02-2006, 05:01 PM
No updates from me thus far. I've been either too busy working on old projects or starting new ones. XD That and I'm scared to start painting the foreground figures. lol But it is nice to see how everyone is progressing, and looking at how different we all approach the same drawing.

ErichSchreiner
02-02-2006, 06:41 PM
update....................................

http://www.godlessbeauty.de/gallery/color06OFDW12.jpg

mornie
02-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Hubby: Uhhh...
Me: It's from Dante's Inferno.
Him: Oh.

Hehe. That'll teach him to watch over my shoulder while I paint. :P

Anywho, new update since last night:

http://www.geocities.com/sini_violin/dante3.jpg

I feel like its gonna take awhile to get in the groove with the painting, today. Mrr. Oh well.

RebeccaK: Thank you for those suggestions, n' stuff! I'll certainly look at the anatomy tutorials. I, uh, actually have seen JMBoekenstein's tutorial. I even tried it. Err.. There's nothing wrong with it--in fact I've recommended it to others--but it doesn't work for me. At least, using colour layers doesn't work for me. I have done a B&W painting and layered colours on top, but the layers just didn't work. I couldn't get a feel for the colours as easily that way. Instead, I just painted on top. Erm.. perhaps I should explain what I do do.

My method is to basically block out the colours with some sort of mostly-desaturated medium colour, kinda like in the first update, and not really bother with getting "perfect" colours. Besides, I usually have to fudge things around and fix proportions anyway. Using El Chief's style wouldn't work for me. My hand is too jittery. (I'm jealous!) I use the hard-edged opacity brush in photoshop, at different sizes, almost exclusively. After I put down the first colours, I add in a bit more detail, again with the browns and yellows. After I've got that down, I start layering colours on top. I use the opacity brush and lightly paint deep reds and purples and yellows and whatnot until I've got it where I want. I really like this method. Its a lot of fun, for me. You can see where I've done this by comparing my first post with this one.

Anywho, its fun looking at other people's stuff. I'd really like to see where some of them end up. Also, Elsie's cloth painting is really spiffy. How do you do that? :P

Whee! This is fun. Lookin' forward to seeing more updates. :)

Mornie

P.S. Why is there so much purple on the dark-haired guy? I don't understand where it came from. :P

reflectedfight
02-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Nice stuff everybody.

El Chief - that paintings really coming along man, beautiful progression - i like the way you are doing it - you look like your learning as you go along. Keep it up.

Elsie - you gonna post a higher res version of yer work??

Elsie
02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Also, Elsie's cloth painting is really spiffy. How do you do that? :P

Aw, thank you very much Mornie :) Hehe, I actually thought about making a mini-tutorial from all my screenshots I saved in the process if anyone is interested...(seems a bit like blashphemy though...hehe I am but a humble doodler!)

Elsie - you gonna post a higher res version of yer work??

Ask and ye shall receive :D (especially when you say "Please" so nicely...hehe just teasing :p)

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/8263/dantehires4ew.jpg 2400 x 1876 px (that's around 33.3% of my working size)

As you can see, the brushwork close up is still very loose and sloppy, hence what I mean when I say there is a lot of work left to do, even though it is not so apparent from the smaller shots I've been posting >_<.

Thanks again for all the support so far people, wonderful work going on here, I wish I had the time to sit down and comment :( suffice to say I am impressed and inspired by them all!

Rebeccak
02-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Wow, just some incredible work going on! Erich, that looks amazing, and Elsie, it's great to see the hi~res version! :)

Can't wait to gaze a while at these a bit later on...:D

~Rebeccak

reflectedfight
02-02-2006, 10:35 PM
elsie - sorry - old habits. heh. Painting looks good- good values - bear in mind "loose" does not need to have a negative meaning when describing paintings... sloppy on the other hand..... heh.

Where do you study in glasgow by the way?

aggie93
02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Hubby: Uhhh...
Me: It's from Dante's Inferno.
Him: Oh.

Hehe. That'll teach him to watch over my shoulder while I paint. :P

Change the sexes and that sounds like my wife. Even though I was catching grief from the women we were sketching before, I think the guys bother her a little more in this one.

Aggie93

Elsie
02-02-2006, 11:06 PM
elsie - sorry - old habits. heh. Painting looks good- good values - bear in mind "loose" does not need to have a negative meaning when describing paintings... sloppy on the other hand..... heh.

Where do you study in glasgow by the way?

Hehe ah no worries, I was only kidding ;) I'm terrible for that. Thank you for the compliments on my painting.:)

At the moment I study at Caledonian University (in association with Stow College) although I will be leaving the course at the end of the month to pursue...er...something. I don't know what, just that it is not programming! I'll be moving back down to England where I'm hoping to edge into the art world and save up some money...

reflectedfight
02-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Was it coding for games you were doing??? --- havent heard much about glasgow cal - only ever saw the big sign for it in glasgow - sorry.

Im sure you'll figure out what you want todo eventually... heh.

keep up the painting

take it easy,

gav

ErichSchreiner
02-03-2006, 11:26 AM
@Mornie

normally i would have used duller colors too for the first underpainting, but i knew what the end result shall look like, so i tried to get as close as possible right away from the beginning.
The sketch was freehand, and there are a few things off, but ok, it's all about the exercise, isn't it :)

@reflected light
thx. My knowledge grows from day to day :)

@Rebecca
thx

i will make some further adjustments in the evening...think i will finish it then.

http://www.godlessbeauty.de/gallery/color07OFDW12.jpg

Rebeccak
02-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Erich,

This is looking super! The one thing I would say is that the face of the attacker is looking just slightly flat, particularly when compared to the really nicely volumetric face of the victim.

But Wow, overall, excellent work! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

SaraD
02-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi gang.
The green "blob" got an eye :) What a development... But, I wanted to show that I haven´t given up and I´m still working on it:banghead:
http://sara.mallverkstan.net/images/MasterCopies/Dante_Virgil_006.JPG

ErichSchreiner
02-03-2006, 05:59 PM
@Rebecca

thx, i worked on the attackers face again. there are still areas that could be refined to match the reference better, but overall it came out pretty cool. so here's the finished piece

http://www.godlessbeauty.de/gallery/finalOFDW12.jpg

Rebeccak
02-03-2006, 07:44 PM
SaraD,

Good to see your update! :) Looking good so far...hey, it's your favorite subject, men! :scream:

Erich,

Fantastic! I think the attacker's face does look much better, though it still looks a bit less realistic than the victim's...but overall, Wow!!! Really great work! :thumbsup: Definitely a worthy addition to your portfolio! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Worked on feet, legs, hands of big figures
Took the action of the owl I talked about earlier
Used it in this drama
Demon is now pinning his prey down with his taloned foot.
Take care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_55.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_56.jpg

ErichSchreiner
02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
@Rebecca

thx. i know there are more areas that could be refined, and i know i could spend another 20 hours on it to do so, but i think i had a maximum out of this exercise so far, and i won't get more out of it.
it was a great experience, thx for that :)

Rebeccak
02-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Glenn,

Hey, it's really starting to develop nicely! :thumbsup:

Erich,

Glad you enjoyed and got a lot out of it! Great to have you on board, and hope you will participate in future OFDWs as well! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-04-2006, 01:34 AM
THANKS ...Rebecca....;)

Really learning a lot on this one, and really enjoying trying to take it further, with my own
vision.
I'm glad you suggested that I keep it monochromatic...gives me a chance to explore i't's
underlying structure and rhythm more deeply.
I feel that I will walk away from this one knowing a lot more about composition, light and
shadow, and anatomy, than I knew when I entered into it , FOR SURE..
THANKS....TEACHER....:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

SpiritDreamer
02-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Worked on chest, neck. shoulder, arm and hand of demon,
and arm being grabbed of prey
Separated and defined the two figures more in the process.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_58.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_59.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi Rebecca and everyone

This is an experiment in motion, I tried out.
Just to see if it would work and to see roughly how it would look.

Started out with a great suggestion for a more dynamic composition from
Thomas Phoenix.
Top Left is draw-over he so kindly and generously created and provided
me with this morning.

Got my mind to thinking: Well, this is a spiral composition to begin with.
So why not put it in "instant warp" in Painter Program (found in 'effects')
and use the spiral setting in there to to put a spin on it and see what happens.

Top Right is my original.
Bottom two are experiments, just rough at the moment. But could be
brought up to par without too much work I think.
Just thought I would share this experiment so everyone could see the
possibilities with this kind of swirlly-spirally composition.
Hope you enjoy
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Dante_Comp.jpg

Vidar3d
02-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Hmmm, looks like I have fallen a bit behind. I am still stuck on the black and white underpainting. Who knows if I'll even get to the point of adding colour. The black and white study has been a huge lesson for me as I am learning a lot from this exercise.

The update:

http://www.borderlandgraphics.com/ofdw/12d.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Still experimenting with composition
Trying to bring the spiral in the composition all the way from outside
perimeter of figures to the center of action which are the mouths, in this case,
and also the center of the spiral
Think I finally got it in the last one.
Also changed character of demon's and prey's faces according to drama of action.
Modified hand of prey by demon's horns. Want an emotion of pain expressed in that hand.
Finally I modified leg of prey, not sure if I have it correct yet.
Also started hair on prey, overlapping leg of demon to create more depth in composition.
That's it for today
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Dante_Comp_2.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_68.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi ...Rett
Really GREAT JOB on this one so far...You caught the intensity of the drama nicely.
Your figures have a sculptural look and light ....best ones yet of yours...ITHINK...:applause: :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
02-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Vidar3d,

Wow, lots of impressive progress here! :thumbsup: I think the foreground figures are really looking great, and I'm impressed to see that you've worked in all of the background figures as well ~ big kudos! :)

Minor crit is that the background characters (Virgil and Dante) look a bit small in comparison to the foreground characters ~ an easy fix in Photoshop, just cutting and scaling up and repainting a bit if you're so inclined. The demon also could be larger, but overall, I think you're doing a terrific job, and really look forward to seeing your end result!

I grayscaled Bouguereau's original painting, and there is no way that he did not work up a grayscale study first ~ the values are too perfect, and too carefully thought out. To me, color is the least important component ~ I think what you're focusing on ~ defining form ~ is great, and I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying this exercise! :)

Glenn,

Coming along great...I really liked the direction you were headed in before the swirl, but am definitely interested in the direction you take next. :wip:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

daWinky
02-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Morning everyone!:wavey:

I had a quiet weekend and finally found some time time to continue the painting!
More quick and dirty with the background and the floor:shrug: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)...I'm a little impatient and hope to finish it this week...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/daWinky/Dante_wip10.jpg

-sabrina

Rebeccak
02-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Good morning, Sabie! :)

Wow, just amazing progress! I'm still finding it so hard to believe you were a physics major! :eek: ~ you're putting us to shame! :D

Fantastic work! Can't wait to see this finished! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
02-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Good morning artists...

yeah... really good update Sabie... as we can see, you have much energy, and it's visible in your drawing... really appreciate your vision.

Well, now I'm waiting impatiently the finishings steps... this week :thumbsup: :scream:

Nice day for you :wavey:

Gunilla
02-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Wow Sabrina!! That is really looking good...and this is your first digital painting you say? :eek:

Everyone is doing such a great job in this one - it's very impressive!

Rebeccak
02-06-2006, 06:53 AM
You should join in the next one, Gunie! :bounce:

SaraD
02-06-2006, 09:08 AM
At first I got all stressed up, realising I won´t find the time to finish this one within the "time-limit". But, then I decided to just let this one take it´s time, because it´s so relaxing to paint it. I really like to explore background painting and the sober, duoll colors used. So, just small updates will come from me:)
http://sara.mallverkstan.net/images/MasterCopies/Dante_Virgil_007.JPG

mark-jenkins
02-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Firstly, I have to say that the standard of work on this thread is very high and everyone has done a really good job. I have had trouble finding the time to finish mine what with work, daughter and central heating and boiler breaking down in the middle of a freezing spell! brrrrrrr, too cold to paint! I have also reached that stage with this painting where I am a little sick of it and am struggling to finish. I managed to get a bit more done at the weekend and hopefully this week with one more big push I can get it finished.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/marcoj_1971/figure/OFDW12-4.jpg

SaraD
02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Good one Marco :applause:

Rebeccak
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
SaraD,

Nice to see your update! We can always count on you to get your second wind. ;) I'm sure you'll do beautifully! And there can be 2 more weeks for this, if that's what people want. :)

Marco J,

Wow, amazing, especially considering the herculean struggles you had to face! :D :applause:

It's just been really impressive to see everyone's work, I so totally agree! I hope you don't sicken too much of this piece to finish...too great not to complete! :arteest:

~Rebeccak

makaron
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
It's just been really impressive to see everyone's work, I so totally agree! I hope you don't sicken too much of this piece to finish...too great not to complete! :arteest:

me too, I agree :thumbsup: brilliant work.. :applause:

Elsie
02-06-2006, 03:40 PM
http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/6389/s2copy5me.jpg
Started some vague refining, not really touched the sky or devil/demon at all yet :cry: and haven't even started texturing...I think I'm gonna have to tell myself "Whatever this looks like at the end of today, it is FINISHED!" hehe.

Rebeccak
02-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Wow, Elsie, :)

Completely fantastic! :applause: The two minor things that seem to need work are the face of the attacker (which seems just a bit less volumetric than that of the poor guy being attacked) ;) and the attacker's right foot ~ but other than that, wow, I'm just watching in amazement! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
02-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Marco J: thumb up. Very lovely colors

Vidar3d: The muscles look good. ur improving fast.

Spirit Dreamer: The demon's horns look very cool. Very nice executed :D

dawinky & SaraD: looking good so far :)

El Chief & El Elsie : :applause: amazing :bowdown:

still long way to go

http://www.geocities.com/ericyeo1982/Bouguereau4.jpg

Rebeccak
02-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Go ericyeo! Keep it comin'! :wip: :arteest:

mark-jenkins
02-06-2006, 04:25 PM
RebeccaK - Thanks for your kind words, they are just what I need to give me the motivation to finish this. I know I will be pleased when it's complete.

SaraD - Thankyou

EricYeo - Thanks. I am interested in your method. Are you doing a green underpainting like the old masters but digitally?

Elsie - This looks great as it is, I'm sure that the finishing touches/textures will make it look superb

Elsie
02-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Thank you so much guys :) honestly I would have given up by now if it weren't for all your kind comments! You all rock :D

Hey Ericyeo, I really like that green light you have there :thumbsup: it mixes really nicely with the reds in the picture - interesting contrast!

Really great work everybody, just browsing thought the last couple of pages now...Glenn, very original and looks wonderful! Marco J, also some really nice work and shading :) Looking really nice Sara, hope you get the change to finish it at some point because I'd really love to see how it turns out! Thanks Becca, I'll get right on sorting out that face and foot ;)

SpiritDreamer
02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
:applause: REALLY AMAZZZZE...ING ... MAGGGGIC HAPPPPPENING. on #12....EVERYONE...:bounce: :thumbsup: :)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Elsie
02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Spammation: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=316252

Posted the finished piece in the 2D Finished work gallery :) Thanks again to everyone, this has been a lot of fun :D

Rebeccak
02-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Elsie,

That's fantastic! Just posted some pimptastic comments in your thread! :applause:

Congrats on just a brilliant work! Hope you will participate in more OFDWs just as soon as you recover. :D Oh, and, as I mentioned in your Gallery thread, I wouldn't mind a lil' step~by~step Tutorial here in the Anatomy Forum, either...:D

Should you decide to do one *hint hint, nudge nudge* :D you could just create a thread and call it: Tutorial - Digital OFDW 012 Bouguereau Master Copy - by Elsie. :D

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Worked on big figures. Put skin over muscles of demon's and prey's legs.
Made prey smaller and weaker in stature.
Makes demon more ominous.
Worked on hands of both figures.
Started to work on prey's face.

and Rebecca:
I liked the one before the swirl also and still have that version in my file.
But curiosity is like an itch. Sometimes you just have to scratch it.
Curious to see how this new version turns out. So I think I will scratch it and find out.

#2 is just a light and color study.
I vote for two more weeks on this painting, that is if there is a vote taking place.

Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_70.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_71.jpg

Rebeccak
02-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Glenn,

This is looking fantastic! I love the balance of dramatic effect with hard core anatomy...I definitely think you are on the cusp of really defining a very solid personal direction with this one! :thumbsup: Not that you didn't already have one...but I think that there is tremendous power to this piece which is very inspiring. :) And I agree with you about trusting your instincts and experimenting ~ it's how we grow, isn't it?

Great stuff, and I look forward to seeing where your instincts lead you next. ;)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-07-2006, 04:45 AM
THANK YOU ...Rebecca

Those words mean a lot to me, more than you might imagine.
I think I will just repeat what I have said over and over again.
Would not be possible without having some GREAT TEACHERS along the way.
I truly consider myself most fortunate to be able to count you among them.
Thank you for your honest opinions, sound advice, and your constant pushing
me in the right direction....TEACHER...:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
02-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Glenn,

Awww, you're completely welcome! You're a pillar of these OFDWs, and they certainly wouldn't be the same without you. :) Thanks to you too, I certainly appreciate your support, and I'm not sure how much I've taught you so much as you're teaching me. ;)

And Congratulations to Elsie! :bounce:Front page, that's fantastic! :thumbsup:

By the way, I plan on showcasing the best of the entire Anatomy Forum sometime soon...(not sure when exactly, but it's in the works)...including a lot of work from this Workshop, for which you guys have turned out some tremendous work ~ I am anxious to show it off to our community here. :)

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
02-07-2006, 06:24 AM
EricYeo - Thanks. I am interested in your method. Are you doing a green underpainting like the old masters but digitally?

Hi Marco J, by chance I get to read something about green underpainting.. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=305383&page=2 . I never knew about how old masters do green underpainting, I'm just a self learner and explore different digital painting technique. First i pour in the green and create new layer above and paint the skin(pink, brown, megenta (depends on the reference)). :) If I got the wrong colors, I could always add a new layer and set layer setting to 'color' and replace the colors :D.

Elsie: Congratulations featured on the frontpage!! :applause:

MechaHateChimp
02-07-2006, 07:37 AM
http://joelcarlo.net/temp/images/illustrations/ofdw/ofdw-012_sketch-04.jpg

Man I feel like I fell behind! :surprised

I havent had a chance to check out the thread until today and then I log on and see Elsie's piece... fantastic! Elsie, congratulations on making the front page, your master copy came out tremendous!

Trudging along, I worked on the demon todayand I will hopefully have some time this week to work on the figures in the bg. Im so tempted to call in tomorrow and just get caught up with my sketching.

Im gonna take a moment now and peep what I have missed the last week. Comments shortly! :)

Zapan
02-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Really beautiful work Sabie ,
Hope you'll find some time to continue (huhu) this !
Maybe a personal anatomy thread to gather all your pics could be something cool ... like this we could see your awesome progress ... isn't a cool idea ? *smiles from ear to ear*

Awesome work everyone , a real pleasure to follow all your stunning skills ! :thumbsup:

and also :: CONGRATULATIONS ELSIE :bounce: :thumbsup: :) ....

cheers ,

-Steph

daWinky
02-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Morning everyone, good morning Stéphane!

Back from your weekend exil!? Thank's for the praise, but what is it always with my own anatomy thread:scream: ??? To gather all the pieces...it's just one and not even finished:D ...By the way, I couldn't work on it now even if I had the time, the cat has stolen my wacom pen from the desk and unfortunately this is not a joke:shrug: ....so I'm out now to catch this little monster:twisted: .

Ah, and Elsie: Congrats again for the front page plug, that's really a well deserved honor!

Have all a nice day!

-sabrina

Elsie
02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Thank you very much everyone! I really have had so much fun working with you all on this workshop :D you can now consider me addicted to the anatomy forum!

Mecha - wheee, am happy to see an update from you! I was just about to poke you and say "Yo, wheres it at?!" becayse I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Ravena
02-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi Rebecca and
El Chief, Mornie, Elsie, SaraD, Spirit Dreamer, Vidar3d,
daWinky, Marco J, ericyeo, Mecha Hate Chimp:
great update from you all! :)
Spirit Dreamer,
your changes are interesting and give to the picture a little touch of aggressive note (in a positive meaning).
(I ask myself, completely harmlessly, whether the aggressor can hold sufficient equilibrium?)

@all
I write only so few, because my English is so bad. I want to disgrace myself not completely.
Here is my update, I believe I need still these 2 weeks around the picture to complete.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/994/070220066zo.jpg

Ciao,
Ravena

Rebeccak
02-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Mecha,

Great to see your update, you still have 2 more weeks! :thumbsup:

Steph,

Great to see you here cheery snail! :)

Sabie,

Hmm, hope you find your pen...that's tragic! :cry:

Ravena,

Update looking great, keep up the good work! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi ....Ravena
Great job on your painting so far...:thumbsup:
I am glad you asked that question about ...Equilibrium...
That is the whole point of this experiment that I am trying out..
In the original, the figures are perfectly ballanced, like equal wieghts on a scale.
They have the gesture of motion, but it is imposible for motion to happen, when the
weights are equally ballanced.
The motion only occures when you tip the scale, and shift the weight, so that there is
more weight on one side of the scale, and the ballance is offset.
This is the action that truly sets the composition into motion, in this case creating a
spiral effect, which is what I am after in this experiment with composition.
What keeps the demon from going head over heels, is his out streched leg, and his claws
being firmly embedded into the prays foot, pinning him to the ground.
I believe that the weight and action of these two extended legs or weights joined as one
with the claw action uniteing them, creates enough counter ballance to offset the
head over heels event you were courious about, and referred to as Equilibrium
Burne Hogarth used to talk about the problem of having an action that was in
perfect ballance, and his thought was the same one that I just expressed..that being
there is no action or movement, when there is perfect ballance, and action and
movement start the moment you tip the scale of weights, one way or the other,
creating an imballance in the composition.
Thank you for asking that question about Equilibrium...It is a great question concerning
composition, which is what this master copying exercise is all about, in this case.

TAKE CARE and good luck with your painting, looks GREAT so far, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Glenn

Rebeccak
02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Note to those new to OFDW 012:

For anyone who wishes to try this Master Copy, there are still 2 weeks left in the Workshop. Feel free to hop in and give it a shot! Everyone's here to learn. :)

Due to the popularity of this Workshop, we will likely be copying another Bouguereau piece for the next OFDW! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

redehlert
02-07-2006, 06:16 PM
sweet. glad to see i still have some time. (twiddles thumbs)...
;)
d

Ravena
02-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Rebecca,
thanks for your praising words. :)

Spirit Dreamer,
thanks for the detailed and interesting answer, dear Glenn.
I hope my English knowledge was sufficient, in order to understand your words completely. However I think I've understand the connection between your experiment and the „with no action when ballance is perfect“. :)

You show here a very interesting process, to see how you bring movement/more action into the picture. On the other hand the voluminoes legs of the aggressor work now a little too rigidly, too immovably. The spiral composition works so far only above the belt line. That is however only my impression, I can also totally be mistaken. Hmm, me seems there is still inclined to something and I don't know what it is. Do you change still something on the victim's pose?

Thanks your for the praising words about my work. Much luck for your experiment, I am curiously how it goes continues. (O god, my English! I couldn't express myself in the way how I wanted. Therefore forgive me some unfortunately selected formulations.

Ciao,
Ravena

SpiritDreamer
02-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone

Revena:
I agree with you about the knee kicking leg of demon. Worked on it more, studied my own
leg in mirror for this action and this is how it looks. Also worked a little more on prey's face.
I studied Karate years ago under Billy Blanks here in Boston and I know for a fact that a
much stronger knee kick can be produced in this action by having the grounded leg's knee
locked with the leg in a straightened out position as I have it in my painting. When you bend
the knee of the grounded leg as in the original painting, you lose all the power behind
the thrust of the knee kick. I also created you a sequence that demonstrates the spiral
or swirl composition I am working on. Took it to its extreme so you might be able to see it more clearly.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Dante_Comp_3.jpg

Ravena
02-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Hi Glenn,

please do not understand me wrongly, if I talk with you about the experiment and do not understand it as criticism. I think only and divide her with you. Is the effect intended that the aggressor makes the impression, each moment he would fall forward? (The impression results from its torso.)

Perhaps I should simply be waiting first times until your experiment is terminated. Perhaps then becomes some more understandable to me. :)

Ciao,
Ravena

SpiritDreamer
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi ...Ravena....:wavey:
The questions you ask are great questions ...they make me think and wonder, and tell me,
that you are also thinking, and wondering....THINKING AND WONDERING...that's what this
journy of learning is all about ...after all is said and done...
So by all means, feel free to fire away with any questions that come into your mind, because
I sure don't mind them, in fact, I really enjoy them..:)
In answer to your last question, ...Maybe the demon is going to sprout wings, fly away
with his pray, and gobble him up...or down...this would surely solve the gravity question..LOL !!
I don't know the answers yet, but your questions will surely make me think of the solutions,
so like I said...keep them coming...and that goes for everyone else also....FEEEEEL FREEEEE...:bounce:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Ravena
02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi Glenn, :wavey:

great idea, which would fit also well with his bird head. LOL
Nevertheless, the idea is really good. I have the wings already forwards my eyes.

And if he had bird legs with claws, thus, then he would know shorter legs as now and with this he claws into the calves of the victim. Thus it would get also a way out. Hmm, as you already said, then he fly away. :D

Ciao,
Ravena

SpiritDreamer
02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi...Ravena....:wavey:
THANK YOU ... for the great inspiration ...;)
ONE THOUGHT always leads to another...and
TWO IMAGINATIONS are always better than one... :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE...and now I will have to take this experiment a little further, just out of couriosity LOL!!
Glenn

tauism
02-08-2006, 03:24 PM
hi guys, this will be my first master copy.

i decided to start practicing my drawing cos my skills reallly realllly suck, especially when trying to draw from my head.

Just sketching & shading on paper for this one. don't think i should go to colour yet when i don't even have the basics for monotone shading.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/404/2202/1600/dante.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/404/2202/1600/dante.jpg

Rebeccak
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
tauism,

Welcome aboard! :) Unfortunately, when I click your image, it is not available. I don't know if this is just me?

You might try photobucket:
www.photobucket.com

A walk through of how to use photobucket for those unfamiliar with the imagehost:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267088

Looking forward to seeing your work soon! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Ravena
02-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Spirit Dreamer:
*LOL* Glenn, I follow you completely curiously. :wavey:

tauism, Rebecca:
I also cannot see the picture.

Ciao,
Ravena

tauism
02-09-2006, 12:34 PM
whoops, sorry guys. heres the image, i followed your advice and used photobucket

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/chaudan/dante.jpg

Ravena
02-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi tauism,

super, great work so far. According to my opinion you have a safe line guidance. Now I am curious about your color version. :)

Ciao,
Ravena

Rebeccak
02-09-2006, 03:14 PM
tauism,

Perfect, glad to see your image! :thumbsup: You've got a great start, and I think this will be a wonderful render if executed to completion! Looking forward to your next update. :)

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
02-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words

Dont know what happen to my photobucket. the server seem slow and I cant get any of my files uploaded..

Some of my updates. :) Finally I had finished painting the characters.. I have some worries for the background..
http://www.geocities.com/ericyeo1982/Bou5.jpg

Elsie
02-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, just checking in ^^

Ericyeo - colouring really looking good, the green looks wonderful! The guy lying on the floor behind the two of them - that colouring is especially great. Really smooth and like skin in dim light :thumbsup:

Tauism: Good start, looking forward to seeing more!

Glenn: Interesting point there about the spiral motion in the picture, your example displays it really well!

SpiritDreamer
02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Worked on big figures and flying devil.
Practicing principle of overlapping shapes to create more depth in big figure composition.
Made spikey-feather-type of things on demon to give more motion and direction.
Kind of reminds me of fighting roosters.
A lot of action when they collide.
#2 Just a light and color study.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_80.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_82.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Ericyeo // Eric...:)
Really kike your colors, lighting, technique, and draftsmanship...caught the drama ..:applause: :thumbsup:

Elsie...:)
THANKS...glad you enjoyed it....might help someone, ..if not now, maybe down the road :shrug:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

ericyeo
02-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Spirit Dreamer and Elsie Thank you very much. Both of u have definitely boosted my confident. I think me going to attempt the background tomorrow. :D

Spirit Dreamer : Your piece is looking good. The spikey-feather on the leg seems a little too long and some detailing will make it more fantastic. :D

And now, back to play my mahjong. heehee

Rebeccak
02-10-2006, 03:47 PM
ericyeo,

Looking great! :thumbsup: I've been a bit slow to respond lately due to the start of the CGWorkshop...but I'm definitely keeping tabs on the beautiful work being produced here, and can't wait to see your and everyone's finished result! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone

Worked on flying devil a little. Making his face and head look more like a bat
to go with his wings better.
Mostly at this point beginning to think about direction of light in the composition.
And also using minimal color effectively to create mood and emotion.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_83.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_88.jpg

Rebeccak
02-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Glenn,

Looking cool, but now I think it might be a good time to rein in the effects and go for some hard core painting. ;) The problem is that I immediately think of 'swirl effect' when I look at your image, which has so much potential, but will not be as interesting with the effects untweaked and painted over. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I really would love to see what you can do without going for the effects that are available in Painter's menu set. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Hi ...Rebecca...:)
You can always imagine that you never heard of Painter, special effects, and digital art,
Then you might enjoy the painting more. LOL!!... JUST KIDDING....:eek: :wavey: I will get back to some serious painting , starting now..

Hey have you noticed that this guy used the same spiral or swirl composition in that other
painting of his ...the one with the Satyr and Wood Nymphs ...the one that MR MU wants
to paint, ...The composition is almost exactly the same,...just different figures...wonder
which one came first...

THANKS for the feedback Rebecca, I know how busy you are, with your work shop and all.
Hope it's off to a GREAT start :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

paperclip
02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi from a newbie in this subforum! I'm quite, quite new in this area so please be gentle with me. :D

I should have the first 'step' done later today. Nice to meet you all!

SpiritDreamer
02-11-2006, 01:13 PM
GOOD MORNING .....Theresa....:wavey: ;)

Always a pleasure to see that avatar of yours...always puts a smile on my face.
I haven't seen to much of it since the master and servant thing...I liked the way
that one of yous came out by the way. I think you will really enjoy this forum, and
will learn a lot of new stuff at the same time... can't beat that combination.
Looking forward to seeing your work in here....:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
02-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Come on, P'Clippy! We know you're not actually shy! :scream:

Welcome aboard. :) Great to have you here!

~Rebeccak

tauism
02-11-2006, 04:59 PM
heres my updated shading

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/chaudan/dante2.jpg

Rebeccak
02-11-2006, 05:06 PM
tauism,

Nice progress with this! :thumbsup: Great to see your update...I really like your style of shading ~ it's quite considered and consistent, and you're doing a great job. :)

One thing to watch out for is the placement of the attacker's nipple with respect to the rest of the upper torso ~ currently, it seems to be a bit too much on his side rather than on his chest, so you may want to adjust his back a little to compensate.

Looking really good so far, and I think you will learn a great deal from this! Looking forward to your next update! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Hello Rebecca and Everyone
Rebecca - thanks for the push :) :thumbsup:

OK Started some serious painting on this one

Step #1 worked on the tour guide's and the tourist's faces
Changed expressions. Having the guide observe the person who is being given the tour.
I think it is more interesting that way.
Next put more of a look of distain on the tourist's face. More befitting emotion for
the scene he is witnessing I think.

Step #2 Went into painting with watercolor brushes to give air between forms,
create mood and also texture.
Still have a lot of refining to do.

Bottom one is a quick light and color study

That's it for today - maybe. :)
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_91_close.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_91.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_92.jpg

Mu
02-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Glenn - I am totally blown away by what you are doing. This will be a great interpretation. A bit like the way Jimi Hendrix covered All Along The Watchtower... listen think develop: masterpiece!

Paperclip! Good to see more DSGers around here!

SpiritDreamer
02-12-2006, 12:16 PM
THANKS...... MR MU ...Glad you are enjoying it....:)

Not sure what you mean about the Hendrix thing ...been a long time...LOL!!
Maybe you can refresh my memory....whatever it is, it sounds interesting.
Would like to know more about that story....THANKS ...MR MU...:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

SaraD
02-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Surprise :wavey::bounce:
I hope you guys haven´t been given up on me ;) A small update, taking what part of the painting that fancies me at the moment:p For tonight - the attackers face
http://sara.mallverkstan.net/images/MasterCopies/Dante_Virgil_008.JPG

Rebeccak
02-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Looking gorgeous, SaraD! Keep going! :wavey:

~Rebeccak

daWinky
02-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Good morning everyone, Morning Rebecca!

I've eagerly watched all the updates and new started pictures during the last week, great work everyone:thumbsup: ! I want to finish my copy now, though I know there is still time to continue...But I'm quite satisfied with my first master copy and I see that I could only improve my current result, if I'd start completely new:wise: ...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/daWinky/10b21479.jpg

Have all a good start in the week:wavey:

-sabrina

Rebeccak
02-13-2006, 06:26 AM
Good morning, Sabie! :wavey:

I'm always cheered by your cheery good mornings, so it's nice to see you up and about today! :)

Fantastic result...:applause:...Congratulations are in order, and I only wish I had been able to get as far as you! :bounce: Really exceptional work...and certainly something to be enormously proud of...just amazing work, and I really hope you'll participate in future OFDWs! :thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lemog
02-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Of course Sabie... you really can be proud of your drawing... you succeed to catch the power of this piece... I only can applaud :applause: :applause::applause::applause::applause:

ericyeo
02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Rebeccak: thank you :D

Little updatez
http://www.geocities.com/ericyeo1982/Bouguereau5.jpg

aggie93
02-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I haven't done a damn thing on my dente. I scrapped my painting of Psyche and brought out my pencil. I was at a state board meeting in Austin with time on my hands so I came up with this:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/CupidPsyche.jpg
It is supposed to be a gift to my wife for valentine's day.

SpiritDreamer
02-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi Rebecca and everyone
Strarted working on foreground figure, bottom right.
Decided to put the scene on the edge of a plateau and
make demon pulling laying down figure over the edge,
by the hair and arm. Down into the lower depths of hell,
more in line with the story.
Also started showing the other extreme, which is
the heavenly light tunnel which is the exit and entrance
to this tiered system of life after death in Dante's story.
As I remember it.
Bottom one is just another quick light and color study.
Take care.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_99.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_102.jpg

Zapan
02-14-2006, 01:14 PM
@ daWinky :

OMG Sabie , That's awesome !!! :surprised :applause:
Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie -

You should be really proud of it ... make a huge Hires print and hang it in your living room :thumbsup:
Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie -

Congratulations Sabrina ... beginner who ?:curious: :bowdown:
Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie -

Cheers ,

-Steph

ps : Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie -
Let's see if I can get a tiara for myself :scream:

aggie93
02-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Is this thread getting wore out? Not as many participants here lately. I know for a while I was getting bored with my work. I started again last night and here is my contribute:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060213bDente.jpghttp://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060213aDente.jpg

Hey, you never know, maybe I will finish by next week.

Rebecca - what is on the next agenda?

Rebeccak
02-14-2006, 09:18 PM
aggie,

Nice work!

I think you're right. :)

What do you guys think about starting a new OFDW Monday morning ~ this Workshop can remain open indefinitely, but for those who have finished, they can have something new to move on to, and those who wish to finish their pieces may do so here, or choose to move on to the next piece.

I think in the next Workshop, why don't we have the option to do the following:

http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/news/jeromack/Images/jeromack11-4-2.jpg

or

http://blog.joins.com/usr/m/o/mountsun/6/07_Nymphes_et_satyre.jpg

~Rebeccak

aggie93
02-14-2006, 11:14 PM
aggie,

Nice work!

I think you're right. :)

What do you guys think about starting a new OFDW Monday morning ~ this Workshop can remain open indefinitely, but for those who have finished, they can have something new to move on to, and those who wish to finish their pieces may do so here, or choose to move on to the next piece.

I think in the next Workshop, why don't we have the option to do the following:

http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/news/jeromack/Images/jeromack11-4-2.jpg

or

http://blog.joins.com/usr/m/o/mountsun/6/07_Nymphes_et_satyre.jpg

~Rebeccak

Rebecca - I was actually going to start the first one in March. I like both of them. The first one should be a great one for me to paint. I noticed that Hong has new photosets. They are still fairly dark though. I just got a book on paintings of Angles & Demons. Very interesting and there are some great Masters in it. Oh well, I am rambling. Later!

PS Thanks for the cudos.

Rebeccak
02-14-2006, 11:29 PM
aggie93,

You're welcome! :)

Sounds great...okay, I guess we'll go with those two images on Monday morning if no one has any objections. :)

Looking forward to the next OFDW! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone...
Small update
Working on final color version.
Trying to figure out how to make a tunnel of light.
Might put a silouette figure or something symbolic in tunnel to give it depth
Eye of Great Spirit or cross or ...
still thinking about it. Haven't decided yet.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_105.jpg

Rebeccak
02-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Glenn,

Really liking the direction and the color environment! :thumbsup:

The only thing that I wonder about are the spikes coming off of the attacker's legs...I think a bit of painting in that area, to really refine the feathers / spikes would really enhance the image and take away a bit of the shiny / metallic feel of some of the areas where the swirl is still visible. I think this is looking really good, and think that the demon / bat is working particularly well. :thumbsup: I also like the expressions of the characters in the background...quite nice, reminiscent of some of your monochrome portraits, which as you know I quite like! :)

Cheers :)

~Rebecccak

SpiritDreamer
02-15-2006, 12:46 AM
THANKS.....Rebecca, for the feedback.... I'll see what I can do about those spikey feathers.
Maybe soften them, or put them in shadow, or both :shrug:
Feel free to push as hard as you think is necessary, as I go down the home strecth with
this painting... I want this one to be a keeper, and your advice always seemes to point
out what I overlook, or am to stubburn to change.
THANKS AGAIN for the help Rebecca :)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Lemog
02-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Even if I don't participate actually... I'm always here to admire all pieces posted here... and for this one, I can say that I really like it Glenn... I agree with Beckie, your way is VERY good... VERY "you" in fact.
You really seem to be in your element and it's very pleasant... with have your vision with your own feeling... strong color choice which go well to this piece... with this interpretation, with these original shapes...
...well... really apprecied Glenn... I can't wait the tunnel now... :thumbsup:

Elsie
02-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Wow, the colours are looking great at the moment Glenn - you really took that piece and made it your own :D Great job! Sabie, really nice work on your copy too ^^ I'm glad I joined this workshop!

daWinky
02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Morning everyone!

I see the fun is going on! Great work, Glenn, impressive what you've made of this piece so far!

Rebecca, I love the suggestions for the next OFDW, and of course you've caught me again:D , I can't resist to try something in color now...so I'll be in there!

Stéphane:D Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie - Anatomy thread of Sabie -
....lol, if I ever gather enough anatomy work, you'll be the first to know...How about a little painting yourself???

Ailsa, thank's for the compliment, it is a very inspiring place here:) ...

See you!

-sabrina

ericyeo
02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Finishing soon.;)

http://www.geocities.com/ericyeo1982/Bouguereau6.jpg

Vidar3d
02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Looks like everyone is starting to finish up. Great stuff from Ericyeo. Glen very eerie. Like something out of nightmare (not the original isn't already a little creepy but you took it to a new level). The new studies for the next OFDW look like a blast. I wish I was further along so that I could participate.

Rebecca, thanks for pointing out that I had mad Virgil and Dante too small in the background. Rather than scaling them, I just repainted them. Probably still not perfect but I think it is beter this time and that I achieved a better likeness.

http://www.borderlandgraphics.com/ofdw/12e.jpg

Rebeccak
02-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Wow,

ericyeo, this is looking splendid! :applause:

Vidar3d, hugely impressive progress...it's great to see this, you're certainly making huge strides here! :bounce:

Looking forward to seeing everyone's final results! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
If I remember right, Dante's Inferno is about going through dimensions
of Hell, Purgatory and Heaven
Purgatory being the dimension between the two extremes.
Trying to get that effect with small figures in background, torn between
two extremes.
Working on symbols using the eye in the sky. Dragon's eye, maybe.
Opening up to reveal a star that takes the shape of a cross, in the center
of the universe type of thought.
Also got rid of metallic look of feathers, not too distracting now, I think.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_112_tunnel.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_112.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-16-2006, 02:43 AM
HELLO....and ....GOOD MORNING.....Lemog.....:wavey:

Where have you been lately....hope your Worls Fair project is turning out ...GREAT...
I was enjoying seeing it's progress, but haven't seen it lately :shrug:
Glad your liking my DANTE experiment....I'M having a hard time with the symbol of HEAVEN,
want something new, but don;t know if that is possible...will keep exploring anyway. I have
a few ideas for it, and just posted one tonight....not sure if it works or not, but it's an
interesting thought anyway. THANKS for your SUPPORT ....Lemog...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Hi ...Elsie...;) and ...THANKS.....trying to keep the colors subdued...going for
MOOD and EMOTION...created with color....but of course the imagery helps...LOL !!:D
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Hi....Ericyeo...:bounce: ......FANTASTIC ...painting style and technique you have going on ...:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Hi ....RETT....:wavey: ....Glad it CREEPED YOU OUT... LOL !! The story CREEPED ME OUT when I
read it years ago....so I guess it got reflected in my painting...LOL...:eek:
I will be glad to move on to something more PLEASANT...SATYR'S and WOOD NYMPH'S..:bounce:
I bet you feel the same way right about now...LOL...You have done a really nice jod
on your painting so far by the way :thumbsup: ...A hard painting, in more ways than one.
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
02-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Glenn,

I think the eye effect is quite cool, but I think it could be made cooler if the eye were refined, made perfectly spherical and all shiny and spiffy and whatnot...perhaps creating a perfect circle in PS and feathering your selection a bit, then really going to town on the details.

Right now it's in a rough stage, but I can see this looking really cool. What is the idea behind it, by the way?

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-16-2006, 04:02 AM
THANKS...REBECCA....Wasn't sure if that idea was too far out or not, but I guess not...:)
Was just thinking the same thing about the detail in that area myself....will get to work
on it with fresh eyes in the morning.....by the way....PAINTER makes pretty nice circles also LOL!! :scream: :) :wavey:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

SpiritDreamer
02-16-2006, 04:37 AM
HI...REBECCA....:)

THE IDEA IS....BEHIND IT...LOL!!
Using the Dragon's eye, because the Dragon was, and is the symbol of ... to me anyway... WISDOM, MAGIC, LIFE, NATURE, TRUTH, VALOR, VIRTUE, and HONOR ....

Just thought I would at least put SOME TRUTH into my painting....:)

People who close their eyes and mouths to the true facts of hertory and history, are CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT ....BY THEIR OWN BLINDNESS AND SILENCE ...

The ...INQUISITION LIVES .....TRUTH IS ALWAYS IT'S FIRST VICTIM ...

AND THEN THEY CAME FOR ME...THE LAST WORDS WRITTEN DOWN
NEXT TO A MONUMENT IN BOSTON....WITH SIX MILLION NAMES ON IT .....

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Mu
02-16-2006, 09:05 AM
THE IDEA IS....BEHIND IT...LOL!!

lmao!:scream:

SaraD
02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
My "masterpiece" is gone :cry::cry:
A major crash in Painter and both the Master Copy and the childface I was working on is now "bad RIF" and can´t be opened... I will not find the energy to start all over again, I´m just happy I had the time to learn so much on painting backgrounds. Too bad I never got round to the main figures of the painting.
Painter is recoverd, but all customized brushes are gone, and I´m mad as hell. :banghead::banghead::scream:

Does anyone have any idea how to recover the files? Is there some hope? Please?

A sad
Sara

Rebeccak
02-16-2006, 11:03 PM
SaraD,

Aww, I am so sorry to hear that...:cry:...at the very least, you have the versions which you posted here, but of course those are only good for showing on a website...there is a Painter expert in my current class, and maybe Spirit Dreamer can also help. What exactly happened? Can you write what happened in detail (if there is any more detail) and I can ask the person in my course about it?

Again, I'm terribly sorry...after so much work and effort, I know it's painful...do you have all of your other works backed up somehow? I recommend at the least uploading / hosting large images here as links, or just emailing yourself a flattened copy on occasion.

Man, I hate to hear when things happen like this.

Cheers (and tears),

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
02-17-2006, 12:12 AM
SaraD,

I posted your question to the thread of random questions, and Jessica and Glenn (the Spirit Dreamers) were kind enough to reply: :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3252266&postcount=18

~Rebecca

SaraD
02-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your help!
I´m not sure what happened, but suddenly the program just *poof* - ended.
And when I tried to restart it I got a message that there were some problem in the "Color set file", and *poof* - again.
Tried to just repair Painter without any luck, so ended up reinstalling. And when I tried to open the two paintings that were active when the *poofing* occured - they were damaged :twisted:

I have several backups on all my finished paintings, but not on the ones I´m working on. I´m gonna start save versions from here on, and as I finish for the day save them in psd-format as well. It´s gonna be a lot of copies, but worth it.

SpiritDreamer
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Rebecca and everyone
Taking the vision idea and thought a little further.
Will work out details as I go along
Clarifying the concept further I hope
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_113.jpg

ericyeo
02-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Spirit Dreamer : I loving the colors :D and the texture really look great!
SaraD: I'm so sorry to hear that.. That must be painful. If you are using Windows XP. You could try to use System Retore..

Done :scream:
http://www.geocities.com/ericyeo1982/Bouguereau7.jpg

aggie93
02-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Worked on the Dente last night, here it is:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060216Dente.jpg

I will finish up the demon and the people on the right and I will call it finished. No color.:sad:

Rebeccak
02-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Glenn,

Nice addition, and thanks again for the help you and Jessica provided for SaraD. :thumbsup:

ericyeo,

Wow, just amazing work! :bounce:Highly impressive stuff here!!! :thumbsup:

The only question I have is about the pink on the torso of the near figure?

Other than that, this is just a super solid piece which gets incredibly high marks from me as well as everyone else, I'm sure. I really hope that you will be submitting this to the Gallery. I want to reiterate that at some point in the near future I wish to spotlight the exceptional work that is being created here on the Anatomy Forum. Thanks for all your hard work here! :thumbsup:

This has become just an excellent piece...I want to thank you for your amazing participation here and in other OFDWs...and certainly hope that you will be back for the next! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Rebeccak
02-17-2006, 05:17 PM
aggie93,

Just saw your post, and I think you have done an exceptional job as well! No worries, color traditionally is a much more time consuming task, as you would have to wait for oil paint to dry, etc...this format is more ideally suited to digital painting and traditional drawing, due to the time constraints...and I frankly think it's great to see more people doing traditional drawing in this Workshop! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to your participation in the next OFDW! :)

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
02-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi Rebeccak, I want to say thank you thank you! I might not finish without u guys encouraging works and comments..

I think i still brush up a bit before posting to the gallery.. heehee..

Where's the pink?

Rebeccak
02-17-2006, 05:52 PM
ericyeo,

Hey, your guys' doing such great work makes it easy to be encouraging! :D

Here is the area that looks a bit pink to me ~ what do you think? :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20012/ericyeo_pink.jpg

~Rebeccak

SoniaNotRed
02-17-2006, 06:46 PM
I've been lurking here from day one (drooling over all your paintings! :) ) but this is the first time I actually manage to post something. No painting for me, though. Gotta learn how to draw first.

I decided to photograph the sketch as I went along so I could have a WIP. I'm drawing on an A3 sized sheet of some kind of sketch paper I had lying around. The pencil is a cheap 2.5 HB I bought on the subway but that works suprisingly better than the so called pro pencils I've tried so far. :eek:

I usualy start out by making a faint outline of the figures so I can get the proportions right and make sure I won't run out of paper. Once that's done I begin rendering the final outline and only after that is finished I move on to the shadows.

This took me 1.5 hour to do...! :blush: :blush:

I think the characters are a wee bit out of proportion (these guys have huge butts, btw! :D ) but I didn't bother to use a grid - geometry doesn't agree with me, I'm afraid.

Let's see how the shading will turn out...

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Des%20012%2017-02-06%2000.jpg

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Des%20012%2017-02-06%2001.jpg

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Des%20012%2017-02-06%2002.jpg

Arrgghh! This pics are too big!

SpiritDreamer
02-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Rebecca....THANK YOU ...:) ...... and no problem... about helping SaraD, OUR PLEASURE :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Ericyeo.... THANKS...:) .......I also agree with everything Rebecca said about your painting.
I think the guy being bitten should be a little bloodied to say the least LOL !!...maybe that
pink could be turned into blood smeared over his skin, ...that's the way I am seeing it, and
have seen it from the start. ...toned down pink might also be better, if you don't care for
the blood effect.....just my thoughts....it's your painting, and a great one it is for sure..:applause: :thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

aggie93
02-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Rebecca - Thanks. You know with comments like yours and my wife's, I got my second wind on this project. I want to finish it. I saw on the other thread you wanted to do a Caravy on the next OFDW. Which one or will there be several to choose from, including Bouger?

Sonia - You know my wife's name is Sonja, with a "j". She is not red either. Anyhow, I like your start. Looks so familar to mine but so long ago it seems a lifetime. I am wraping mine up done entirely in 2HB on a 24X36 drafting paper. I pencil, erase, pencil, erase.... and now I am here. Zeph has enspired me to try color pencils. I will dabble a while in it first before I do another OFDW.

Rebeccak
02-17-2006, 11:09 PM
aggie93,

I'm thrilled to hear you've gotten your second wind! :thumbsup: It seems like a lot of people want to do a Caravaggio, but hmm, I've also already promised 2 Bouguereaus which people were interested in doing for the next OFDW. I don't want to get too many images in the queue as I think working on the same images as a group makes the work stronger.

Would you kill me if we did Caravaggio in OFDW 015? :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Stuck at the crossroads
Stuck between liking the bright colors of the first one and also the limited color palette of
the second one.
The second ond has more of a "oneness" to it, I think.
Color ties all of the elements together instead of separating them as it does in number one.
Any opinions or suggestions would be great at this point.
Thanks
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_113a.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_122.jpg

Rebeccak
02-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Glenn,

I personally like the first, more colorful version better.

The lens / pupil of the eye I think needs to be perfectly round:

Really quick paintover:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20012/Glenn_eye.jpg

The paintover is just quick, but I think some painting around the eye area would improve the overall image greatly ~ right now, it just looks a bit wobbly.

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone:

DONE

Here is link to my painting "Dante's Inferno" on the Completed 2D thread:

Spirit Dreamer's Dante's Inferno (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=320305)

Thank you Rebecca and Everyone for your help support and encouragment.

Now off to Pre-Midieval thought : satyr surrounded by wood nymphs, much more pleasant thought.

:bounce:

Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANTE_130_DONE.jpg

Rebeccak
02-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Glenn,

Congrats on finishing, and another great job! :applause:

SoniaNotRed,

Welcome aboard! :) I apologize, as I didn't see your post earlier. You've got a nice start here! I think the thing to watch is the proportions of the legs. The raised leg of the attacker seems small, and the right leg of the victim looks rather long. You may want to resize the leg of the attacker in particular.

Do you work digitally also? It's totally up to you as to medium, and I'm happy to see more traditional work in the OFDWs! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing your update...a new OFDW will launch tonight, where we'll be doing another Bouguereau copy. I would definitely encourage you to participate! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Everyone, :)

This has been an incredible Workshop, and I'd like to thank everyone who has participated here. I think we had one of the strongest turnouts for this Workshop, and it was thrilling to see Elsie's work get front paged! :thumbsup: However everyone here did some tremendous work, and I really hope to see many of you very talented guys and gals return for the new OFDW 014 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=320125), which has just opened. :)

Having said that, as many of you continue to finish and refine your pieces, please feel free to continue to post your updates here, as technically no OFDW ever really closes (though I encourage people to move as quickly as possible to the next OFDW at it's conclusion). :)

Though we had some mishaps (SaraD unfortunately losing her work) :sad: overall this has been a tremendous Workshop, and I hope to see everyone, including SaraD, in the next one! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
02-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks Rebeccak & Spirit Dreamer, I have made the amendment and I have posted to the gallery. Here is the link http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=320236 :D

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
ericyeo,

Fantastic work, and I have just posted a comment! I hope others do the same! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

aggie93
02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Reb - You are the director and whatever you choose I will attempt. I am kinda favoriting, if that is a word, this artist and his style and figures. I am fixin' to wrap this dente up here is what little I did this weekend. I have another conference in OKC at the end of this week. That will give me time to do one of the OFDW 14's.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060219Dentea.jpghttp://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060219Denteb.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Rebecca

Thought this was good enough to post in the Finished 2D section so I just did.
Will give your forum a little more exposure.
Can't hunt.

Take Care
Glenn

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by aggie93: Reb - You are the director and whatever you choose I will attempt. I am kinda favoriting, if that is a word, this artist and his style and figures. I am fixin' to wrap this dente up here is what little I did this weekend. I have another conference in OKC at the end of this week. That will give me time to do one of the OFDW 14's.
Heya, agg, I'm not sure, are you asking me to choose something? I'm a bit confused, sorry. :) Your pieces are looking great, and I'm thrilled you'll be participating in OFDW 014! :thumbsup:

Glenn, :)

If you could post a link here to your Gallery thread, that would be great! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

By the way, I hope everyone who finished their piece does post their work to the Gallery! :cool:

~Rebeccak

Ravena
02-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone,

I still need 2-3 days for my picture, although I work myself high pressure on it.

@all
Otherwise: super and interesting work, which was finished placed here.

Ciao,
Ravena

aggie93
02-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Heya, agg, I'm not sure, are you asking me to choose something? I'm a bit confused, sorry. :) Your pieces are looking great, and I'm thrilled you'll be participating in OFDW 014! :thumbsup:
~Rebeccak

No, I just like to ramble. Sorry! Thanks for the crits

SpiritDreamer
02-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Rebecca:

Here is link to my painting "Dante's Inferno" on the Completed 2D thread:

Spirit Dreamer's Dante's Inferno (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=320305)

Glenn

Ravena
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone,

Update: I still need something time around to paint the remainder. (background, figures in right background)
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1421/wbstep110ru.jpg

SoniaNotRed
02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Hi again.

Way past deadline but here it is!
The shading took me 3 hours (in a hurry...!). I had to switch to an HB (Caran d'Ache Tecnograph) to do the lighter lines.
Still have to work on this...

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Des%20012%2017-02-06%2003.jpg

aggie93 - Hehe! Sonjas rule! :)
I usualy erase a lot too but I was having a good day this time. It happens every few months!:D
I haven't used color pencils in... like... 13 years or so! I used to grind the tips and mix the colors with my fingers or bits of paper. It can be pretty cool!
I'll be on the lookout for your experiments.

RebeccaK - You're right about the legs (thanks for tip! :) ). I think the main problem was (is) the victim's torso - it was too short so the legs on both guys came out with all the wrong sizes (and I didn't have enough paper for the atacker's left leg!). Anyway, I was in kind of a hurry, so I ended up not changing much of the anatomy. Next time...
Although I do have a tablet I have yet to get the hang of it for drawing. Not that I'm too worried about it - I think I still prefer pencil for this. I use the tablet for "painting" :rolleyes: . The last digital 2d I did was my Master and Servant entry.

Great paintings everyone! :applause:

aggie93
02-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Looks great Sonia. It really went fast for you. You going to work in OFDW 14? I hope to finish my Dente tonight. I am heading to an out of state seminar tomorrow for a weekend. I want to start one of the 14s while I am stuck in my hotel room. See y'all tomorrow morning.

Ags

SoniaNotRed
02-22-2006, 12:28 PM
aggie93 - Thanks! :) It does go a lot faster when you cheat and only do 2 characters! ;) You put a lot more work into yours.
Good luck with you Dante. I'll see you in OFDW 14.

aggie93
02-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Well Y'all, I guess I am finished with this one. Now on to 14!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/Dentea.jpg

Vidar3d
03-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Still plodding along. Started adding more of the background figures and also just sharpening things up generally. This is this master study that refused to die. Who knows how much longer I'll be on this. I am denying myself the pleasure of moving onto OFDW14 until this is finished.

http://www.borderlandgraphics.com/ofdw/12f.jpg

daWinky
03-01-2006, 06:02 AM
Wow, great work, Vidar!:thumbsup: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Take your time, it would be a pity to leave this unfinished!:) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

-sabrina

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Vidar3d,

Looking great! You know, this could be a never ending cycle of karma if you let it you know...:D...break the cycle! Finish!! :scream:

Hmm, look who's talking...:rolleyes:

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 09:56 PM
*bump*

***+++***

Vidar3d
03-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, so I finally got some time this morning to start adding color to my underpainting. I was promoted at work two weeks ago to production manager so my free time has been scarce. Especially since they haven't hired anyone to be the new graphics manager so I am somehow supposed to still be doing that as well. Gotta love corporate America sometimes.

http://www.borderlandgraphics.com/ofdw/12g.jpg

Rebeccak
03-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Heya Vidar3d, nice to see you're still working on this. :) Looking good so far ~ I have found a great painting tutorial (which also uses the grayscale > color technique) by a CGTalk artist whose work I think you will quite like:

http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wordpress/?page_id=23

Keep up the good work!

I think you might want to work more on the attacker's right shoulder, as it looks really pinched. That would hurt! ;)

~Rebeccak

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2006, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.