PDA

View Full Version : Un-feather selection?

Gibbz
01-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Ok say i have made a selection from my alpha map, and its soft and feathered like.
Is there a way to make the selection hard(ie remove the feather) whenusing the selection?

Cheers

Whipyo
01-23-2006, 01:29 AM
With your alpha channel highlighted in the channel window, bring up brightness/contrast and increase the contrast slider. This will effectively harden your selection up but any corners will be rounded.

Datameister
01-24-2006, 12:03 AM
There isn't technically a way to unfeather a selection. That would be like blurring an image and then using a magic "Unblur" filter. Blurring/feathering destroys pixel information that can't be restored with a filter.

However, you can use the process Whipyo is describing. This will create sharp (anti-aliased) edges if done right, but all corners and little details will be lost. I personally prefer to use Image>Adjustments>Levels (rather than Contrast) when I'm doing this; it gives me a little more control.

On a side note--you can use this process to round off the edges of a shape. Create a selection, turn it into a channel, apply Gaussian Blur, then use Levels to create sharp edges. If you do it right, you'll have the same basic shape but with smooth corners.

Good luck! Remember to always make a copy of a channel if you're going to be feathering it and you think you might need the sharp version again.

Gibbz
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
okie thanks guys

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.